2009 WRX - Mounting Amps Under Front Seats & Other Random Stereo Questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX - Mounting Amps Under Front Seats & Other Random Stereo Questions within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by needspeed Is it possible to add amps on the OEM stock radio in the base 09's without ...

Quote Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
    Is it possible to add amps on the OEM stock radio in the base 09's without replacing deck?
    What do you think the max wattage of stock speakers is?
    Yes go to subarugeniuneparts.com you will see the amp and sub kit hooks right up to the stock radio. Also on I think it's nasioc I don't know the exact name they have a indepth guide explaning the stock unit and adding amps and so forth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mentalcase87 View Post
    I guess none of you are aware that on all models the factory accessory amp and sub is mounted right under the drivers seat I knew this before I got my 09 with it. You should check out the install instructions and see how they hook up the mounting arm I believe it's with screws.
    Mounting arm? That sounds a bit strange. Is it just like a hold-down strap? Can you post some pics of your sub? I hadn't even thought about going with the factory sub, so I was not aware of how/where it was mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by evanr View Post
    Did you ever get your amp installed under the seat? Mine was placed underneath the passenger seat, only it was not secured to ANYTHING!

When I asked them not to screw it into the metal, they just left it sorta floating around. Let me know how securing it goes, and I may be inclined to pull out a the passenger seat and bolt the amp down to a piece of wood/plastic. If you have pics from the install that would be sweet.
    No, I was planning on doing it over the holiday weekend but when I tested my 5 1/4" speakers for the rear, one of them was blown. I had another set of 6 1/2" I am going to use in their place but I needed to get a different set of spacers for them. I have the spacers now and hope to start my install in the next week or two.

I definitely would secure your amp, that's crap they just left the wires to hold it in place . I'd be hella pissed! I would mount it like what I posted earlier. I bought some 3/4" medite from home depot a few weeks ago and they cut it to my specs and it was less then $10. You can get a roll of velcro or big strips from Michael's for about $10 as well. If you drive anything like I do, you want it secured . I'll keep you posted when I start my install.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Quote Originally Posted by evanr View Post
    Mounting arm? That sounds a bit strange. Is it just like a hold-down strap? Can you post some pics of your sub? I hadn't even thought about going with the factory sub, so I was not aware of how/where it was mounted.
    Forget about that, it's a little metal arm that mounts to the bolt that holds the seat down. the stock amp is small and so is the sub, as far as I know it won't work for anything but the factory amp. From what I've heard the the factory sub is I think it's like a 6"...
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

The PDX5 runs very hot for such a small amp so I would be concerned with putting it under any seat.

The factory speakers are 6.5" all around so I would try and stick to these sizes as you will get better fitment and reproduction.

Have you considered any of the JL options?? JLG6600? I am currently running this amp and its awesome. Too big to be placed under a seat but correctly installed on the back seats and it does not take up any cargo space.

Ive noticed your going to run a JLW3, have you purchased the sub yet????? If not forget the aftermarket box and buy the JL Audio W3 High Output Wedge. Its a very small box and gives amazing sound, this is what im currently running in my 09. I also work for a JL authorised dealer and went through a number of sub and amp combinations before finding the best.

Here is a link to the JL Sub System:

JL Audio MobileHO110RG-W3v3
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    The PDX5 runs very hot for such a small amp so I would be concerned with putting it under any seat.

The factory speakers are 6.5" all around so I would try and stick to these sizes as you will get better fitment and reproduction.

Have you considered any of the JL options?? JLG6600? I am currently running this amp and its awesome. Too big to be placed under a seat but correctly installed on the back seats and it does not take up any cargo space.

Ive noticed your going to run a JLW3, have you purchased the sub yet????? If not forget the aftermarket box and buy the JL Audio W3 High Output Wedge. Its a very small box and gives amazing sound, this is what im currently running in my 09. I also work for a JL authorised dealer and went through a number of sub and amp combinations before finding the best.

Here is a link to the JL Sub System:

JL Audio MobileHO110RG-W3v3
    My system has already been setup already (Audio Integrations + JL Audio + Focal + Viper), thanks for the info though. Hopefully it will help someone else make up their mind!

They installed Focal Access 6.5" component speakers up front and in the sail panels and I went with a Focal Solid 4 for the amp under the passenger seat. It is a class AB instead of class D amplifier, but so far it doesn't seem to be having any problems... other than floating around a bit under the seat. It is 11.75" x 7.875" x 1.75" and fits just fine, although it may be partially blocking the vents under there.

With such a small car (as compared to my old 4Runner), I've put a fairly big premium on space, which is why the amp is under the seat. Being able to fold down the seats is something I intend to take advantage of, so I didn't want an amp or enclosure in the way. It's one of the reasons why I went with the Audio Integrations enclosure. Had I not been so constrained by space, I probably would have grabbed a JL Audio ProWedge 8" with an 8w7!

Maybe I'm a little late here, but I'll give my $.02 anyways.. and echo a few previous posts.

I have an 09 Premium with the Factory option Sub.

It mounts under the driver's seat and is secured to one of the seat bolts. I can take a picture for you later on if you want.

It is one single box with I believe a 6" sub in it. I find the sound perfectly fine; it fills in the bottom end of country and rock satisfactorily for me. However if you're into hiphop/rap and want to rattle the windows, look elsewhere. If it wasn't one of the items already in the car and negotiated into the price, I would have gone with this:

Boss Audio BASS600 - The one to get w/ pictures! - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

Been reading some awesome reviews on that, and the price is fantastic!

The stock subwoofer runs off of speaker line ins. There is a "T" wiring harness that sort of "taps into" the stereo wiring harness to get the signal to the amp/sub under the driver's seat.

I wouldn't worry about the TPMS thing with a sub or amp under there... though I could be wrong. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with that.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Maybe I'm a little late here, but I'll give my $.02 anyways.. and echo a few previous posts.

I have an 09 Premium with the Factory option Sub.

It mounts under the driver's seat and is secured to one of the seat bolts. I can take a picture for you later on if you want.

It is one single box with I believe a 6" sub in it. I find the sound perfectly fine; it fills in the bottom end of country and rock satisfactorily for me. However if you're into hiphop/rap and want to rattle the windows, look elsewhere. If it wasn't one of the items already in the car and negotiated into the price, I would have gone with this:

Boss Audio BASS600 - The one to get w/ pictures! - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

Been reading some awesome reviews on that, and the price is fantastic!

The stock subwoofer runs off of speaker line ins. There is a "T" wiring harness that sort of "taps into" the stereo wiring harness to get the signal to the amp/sub under the driver's seat.

I wouldn't worry about the TPMS thing with a sub or amp under there... though I could be wrong. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with that.
    Better late than never!

My only interest in the mounting arm is to potentially repurpose it to secure my amplifier (which is under the passenger seat). If that seems unlikely, then don't bother posting a pic...

If you don't really require serious bass, or are too restricted by space that Boss unit doesn't look half-bad. I'm kind of curious to know what it's like with two. And the price can't be beat!

Personally, the sub in my livingroom is 40" tall, 16" in diameter and weighs in at about 70 lbs or so (mostly for movies). And my previous car had a monstrous sub... I just don't think a 6" or 8" would cut it. BTW, I like to play classic rock and metal... just so ya'll know what sort of tastes I'm bassing (hah) this on...

It is interesting to note that you can put another amp under the driver's seat with no apparent problems though!

Yeah it's nothing too fancy, it just keeps the sub from flying away.

I think if you were to make two brackets to fix the amp to the seat bolts, one for the front left and one for the back right (so it holds on a diagonal) that could probably work.

Nice pun, by the way lol
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Alright, I've been working on this for a few weeks on and off and here's what I did. Since I'm a "shade tree" stereo installer at best, I wanted to do it in stages. First I installed my deck and hooked it up to the stock speakers, using the stock wiring. Next I installed the rear door speakers. They were kind of a pain, but really the hardest part is taking the door apart without breaking anything. Which of course I did! I broke the little plastic trim pieces that are in the corner of the door just behind the window. Luckily they are only $6 parts! I did the rear speakers first so I can still listen to the front ones while my work was in progress. Next I ran the wires for my amps. You can see my small distribution block near the battery and the power wires wrapped in wire loom that go above the IC and then they penetrate the firewall through the rubber plug near the turbo. See the attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails underhood1.jpg  
    Last edited by jamie007; 10-06-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Now that the power wires are in place I started tearing apart the interior. First I removed the passenger seat and the carpet. You will notice the carpet is stapled to a plastic piece that is attached to the side of the car. You must detach these plastic pieces to pull back the carpet. To remove them I had to push down on them while pulling away from the car. You can see how they hook in in this picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carpet1.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Here is what it looks like under the carpet, you'll see some foam insulation under the carpet, something new, my old car did not have this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails under carpet1.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

The foam is in the way of my amp so I had to cut it. MY amp is going between those two bolts you see sticking out of the floor. Also notice the ground on the chassis, perfect for my amp!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails under carpet2.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

My plan is to use vecro on the crossbrace and another flat area in front of it to mount my board for my amp. Looking at this picture, the velcro on the left has a hump in it near the outside of the car. I had to make a notch in my mount to accomodate this so it will sit flat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails floor1.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

my mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood1.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast