Worry about stealing aftermarker radio?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Worry about stealing aftermarker radio? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I'm going to be installing a 0 receiver from Crutchfield into my WRX TR. Besides a "gang initiation", do you ...

SRM

Worry about stealing aftermarker radio?

I'm going to be installing a $160 receiver from Crutchfield into my WRX TR.

Besides a "gang initiation", do you think someone would actually steal it? Is a $160 radio worth some thief's time?

It does have a removable face, but would rather not have to disconnect it all the time.
    Mine: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
    Hers: 2010 Wrangler Sahara

Previous cars: 2000 Z28, 2007 WRX TR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yeaahh it really depends on where you live. as in the city. it doesntt even matter where you park. for example, i got my car broken into in the driveway of my house in a nice part of nashville. then i got my car broken into right in front of an apartment on a college campus in boston.

actually, pretty much, if your car is going to get broken into, there's nothing you can do about it. just insure the permanent installed accessories you put into your car. i had a kenwood excelon with the fold up screen that looks like a black panel when off. so it doesn't even matter, it's going to be clear that the radio isn't factory to the trained eye. hardwire radar detectors. sneak wire gps systems. hide the mounts. etc etc etc.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SRM View Post
    Is a $160 radio worth some thief's time?
    It's not a $160 radio, it's a $20 radio to the liberator. They still take them. They have bills to pay too. Update your insurance.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It's not a $160 radio, it's a $20 radio to the liberator. They still take them. They have bills to pay too. Update your insurance.
    +1 on insurance
    You bought a car that could potentially be stolen as well, but that didn't stop you. Don't let the "what ifs" hinder the fruits of your labor.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by SRM View Post

Besides a "gang initiation", do you think someone would actually steal it? Is a $160 radio worth some thief's time?
    if u give somebody reason to break in, then yes. My head unit cost me $200 a few years ago, now it's only worth $15. But I still detach the face whenever I park my car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Where do you live again?
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

I Support ClubWRX
    Threads like this act as a reminder to me of why I hang on to my truck. I keep the WRX with the expensive touchscreen HU safely in the garage, and park the truck in the questionable places. It actually has a lower-end Alpine receiver in it, but no one takes the time to see what might be in a brown, '98 Ford Ranger.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

SRM
    I live in RI, but I don't park my car in *shady* areas, even though I know that really means nothing. If they want it they'll take it. My car is garaged at night.

Generally with any of my cars, I leave things stock (or stock looking). I don't like to attract attention. But the factory system in the TR is crappy, especially if you drive with your windows open.
    Mine: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
    Hers: 2010 Wrangler Sahara

Previous cars: 2000 Z28, 2007 WRX TR

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.