Need help with steering wheel interface and Clarion Deck 2009 WRX

This is a discussion on Need help with steering wheel interface and Clarion Deck 2009 WRX within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I'm going nuts trying to get the steering controls to work with a Clarion DXZ585USB. I bought the peripheral PESWIAKJC ...

Need help with steering wheel interface and Clarion Deck 2009 WRX

I'm going nuts trying to get the steering controls to work with a Clarion DXZ585USB. I bought the peripheral PESWIAKJC SWI with no luck. My deck is hooked up properly and works fine, The instructions for the SWI on there website or the included ones don't even tell you what wires to use with the factory harness. The PAC model seems identical so I used there instructions. I hooked up the white wire on the interface to the yellow (pin 15) on the factory harness. I attached the brown on the factory harness to a ground. I plugged in the 1/8" stereo plug into the interface on my deck. After I set the unit to Clarion and try to program it by pushing the program button once then holding vol +, nothing happens the light stays lit. However if I push the program button a second time then hold vol+, the light goes off and stays off. If I start over and push the program button 3 times then vol+ it flashes 3 times, then 4 times and turns off. Either way my volume control is doing nothing on my deck. Any help is greatly appreciated, my car is torn apart and I want to get it back together soon...
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i will have my installer take a look at this on tuesday and see if we can help out.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    i will have my installer take a look at this on tuesday and see if we can help out.
    Sweet!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

I think I may have found my answer, I need to spend another 70+ on a secondary interface PESWICAN. This is from the instrucions I found on their website:

"Two Interfaces are needed to retain the SWC's. You will need a CAN SWC interface and a radio specific SWC interface. Use only the Programming instructions provided with this document. All connections will be made by referring to the CAN SWC Interface instructions.

Only volume controls are supported in this vehicle"

Can anyone confirm this? Plus it only does volume? For $150+ that kinda sucks!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

i have this unit in my 09 WRX with a Pioneer deck and it works perfectly. Volume up and down, skip trak, source and the mute sets the dect to ATT for lowered attention volume.

We have found the concise instructions online so you can check your hookup,

Pac-audio.com Steering Wheel Interface | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

my installer has also told me that these modules can be a ***** to work with so if you can check your wiring as per these instructions and then let us know if your still having trouble.

Alex and Rob
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers

Those are the instructions I followed, since the PAC and Peripheral seem very similiar...however I had the peripheral PESWIAKJC interface not the PAC. What model are you using? Since you have a Pioneer radio and I have a Clarion your SWI should be different. I couldn't even get it to accept the button programming on the initial setup. The instructions from peripheral said I needed a secondary unit . I looked at the PAC SWI Jack (for Clarions) instructions and there is no mention of needing a second unit so I returned the Peripheral and I ordered the PAC SWI Jack. I'll repost when I try it.

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    i have this unit in my 09 WRX with a Pioneer deck and it works perfectly. Volume up and down, skip trak, source and the mute sets the dect to ATT for lowered attention volume.

We have found the concise instructions online so you can check your hookup,

Pac-audio.com Steering Wheel Interface | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

my installer has also told me that these modules can be a ***** to work with so if you can check your wiring as per these instructions and then let us know if your still having trouble.

Alex and Rob
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

I am using the PAC module, give it a try and let us know!

*edit* I posted earlier today that I couldn't get the Pac SWI Jack to work. I am an idiot and I have everything working now. What I have below is the correct wiring/settings for an 09 WRX.

I connected the white wire from the Jack to the yellow on my harness (pin 6) and the brown wire (pin 15) to a chassis ground. I connected the red to accessory and the black to chassis ground. I have a clarion deck so I have the switch set to 4, and I did the button programming to set it to 3.

Seems to work great, but my steering wheel buttoms seem a little touchie, but just need to get used to it. I am experiencing no "lag" as I've seen others mention. The unit I have is a newer model that is blue.
    Last edited by jamie007; 08-20-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides: