Subaru Factory Sub?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru Factory Sub? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I don't want to change my stock head unit out so I'm thinking about getting the Factory Subaru Sub. Does ...

Question Subaru Factory Sub?

I don't want to change my stock head unit out so I'm thinking about getting the Factory Subaru Sub. Does anyone have any input on this thing? Is it decent?
    09 Premium Wagon
    Cobb CBE, Factory Sub & Sirius

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From what I have heard it is over priced and low in quality. You don't have to change your stock head unit to get a sub (but it's a good idea to so that you have more control over your audio levels). But all you need to do is go to a car stereo shop, hell, best buy might sell them, but there is a little conversion plug to allow aftermarket amps to connect to stock head units. I did that for my scion's sound system. I had a memphis amp with two 10" memphis subs.

What year is the subaru that you are working on?

I had the sub in my 07WRX, and about all I can say about it is that it was "decent". It had ok bass, but was not a huge improvement over the stock deck and speakers. Best bet is to get a good infinity all in one unit, then tie it into your rear speaker wires in the trunk, much better sound, and probably about the same or cheaper.

when i bought my car it had one and honestly it sounded about the same as the door speakers bass wise. As the others have said you can get an adapter to allow you to run a amp and sub off your stock deck. I think in the long run you will be much happier with a real sub.
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

It made my 09 WRX livable. The stock speakers suck. My sales guy had them install it under the drivers seat so I would feel it more. I thought that was a nice touch. You will not be setting off any car alarms, but it will be a huge improvement over stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the stock subwoofer and it sounds pretty damned good for what it is.

99.9% of people that own the factory sub don't realize that there is a "Gain" and "HPF" dial on the side of the subwoofer. The High Pass Filter gets rid of the muck, and the gain will boost the bass. Playing with the settings on the head, gain and hpf you can easily change the factory sub from "ehh" to pretty good for what it actually is
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Another note. All you need for the factory sub is the wiring harness (from the head to the sub). All of the powering, and speakers are already set up. There is no need for any additional work. So for ease and convenience it's a pretty decent choice. Like it was mentioned earlier, you can tap into your back speakers for the signal for the subwoofer, and any stereo shop can do so, but most people don't like how things turn out when you end up using the stock head unit with aftermarket subwoofers.

If you want "Boom" then don't touch the stock sub. If you want fair bass just to enrich the sound, then the stock sub may be a good choice for you.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Another note. All you need for the factory sub is the wiring harness (from the head to the sub). All of the powering, and speakers are already set up.
    Can you expand on this? I went by Subaru today and listened to a Sub in an STI and it does make a world of difference. They wanted $400+ for the part and install but I bought it from Subaru Parts Mall for like $215 and he says it's pretty easy to install. I've installed full on stereos in my previous cars but don't feel like doing more than taking the seat out and sticking a sub in (nor do I care for that much power as I've gotten older).

Anyway, it does make the stereo sound a lot better. Had they just installed that thing from the get go, there would be a 1/4 the threads about this topic on this forum I'd bet.

I'm still planning on upgrading the speakers down the road, but only after the factory ones are blown up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_ntwr View Post
    Can you expand on this? I went by Subaru today and listened to a Sub in an STI and it does make a world of difference. They wanted $400+ for the part and install but I bought it from Subaru Parts Mall for like $215 and he says it's pretty easy to install. I've installed full on stereos in my previous cars but don't feel like doing more than taking the seat out and sticking a sub in (nor do I care for that much power as I've gotten older).

Anyway, it does make the stereo sound a lot better. Had they just installed that thing from the get go, there would be a 1/4 the threads about this topic on this forum I'd bet.

I'm still planning on upgrading the speakers down the road, but only after the factory ones are blown up.
    I don't have the pictures. There's a DIY on either scooby mods or on nasioc. I can't remember.

But there is an inline plug, and then another plug, and then the third one that plugs into the sub it's self.

Did you buy the wiring harness as well?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I don't have the pictures. There's a DIY on either scooby mods or on nasioc. I can't remember.

But there is an inline plug, and then another plug, and then the third one that plugs into the sub it's self.

Did you buy the wiring harness as well?
    Just found Scoobymods.com, thanks for that tip. I'll poke around there.

I was told that the sub came with the wiring harness, so I'll wait to see what I get next week and post a picture. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to post the process. I'm just hoping that the wiring from the head unit to under the seat is already there. I don't want to have to mess with that portion if I don't have to.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_ntwr View Post
    Just found Scoobymods.com, thanks for that tip. I'll poke around there.

I was told that the sub came with the wiring harness, so I'll wait to see what I get next week and post a picture. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to post the process. I'm just hoping that the wiring from the head unit to under the seat is already there. I don't want to have to mess with that portion if I don't have to.
    Let us know jay!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Well, it just came in and has the harness and some really nice instructions. Unfortunately, the head unit does have to come out to install the sub. I figured the seat did and was hoping that was all. Looks like it's the head unit, console, seat to run the wiring harness.

SO......

I'm ordering the Bluetooth kit and will install both at the same time I suppose. I don't want to have to take the dash apart more than once if I don't have to.

I'll post pictures along the way I guess.

Its really not that hard to install. My buddy and I installed the factory sub in my 09' in about an hour or less. The hardest part is popping out the center plastic trim piece that goes around the stereo. You have to have a nylon plastic trim removal tool or you will mar the plastics. The sub comes with all of the wiring you will need to install the sub. Get the part number of the sub and Google it with pdf on the end and you can download the instructions.

The bass isn't awesome but overall its very convenient.
    09 Premium Wagon
    Cobb CBE, Factory Sub & Sirius

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Speedette has one but I can't really tell. I've been thinking it's either not hooked up or it's incredibly weak. Her audio is better than mine because she has the "premium" speaker option in her car so I don't know what to attribute to what.

Quote Originally Posted by FACTION95 View Post
    Its really not that hard to install. My buddy and I installed the factory sub in my 09' in about an hour or less. The hardest part is popping out the center plastic trim piece that goes around the stereo. You have to have a nylon plastic trim removal tool or you will mar the plastics. The sub comes with all of the wiring you will need to install the sub. Get the part number of the sub and Google it with pdf on the end and you can download the instructions.

The bass isn't awesome but overall its very convenient.
    Yeah, I know it's not great, but I don't need much. I just needed "more" than I had and it's enough for me these days. I can't believe I've gone from 4x10" Subs in my first car to this junky little thing 20 years later, but I've aged I suppose.

Actually, mine did come with the instructions and wiring. I don't have a nylon trim removal tool though.... I have a metal one. Thanks for the tip. I suppose I'll see if the local autoparts store sells that.

Did you guys intall the Bluetooth too? I'm not taking that trim off more than once if I don't have to. I do know that the more times that stuff comes out, the better chance of breaking it and/or having it rattle after a couple of years.

Bluetooth comes in this weekend, I'm going to do both at the same time.

Thanks for the tips, appreciate that....
    Last edited by jay_ntwr; 08-27-2009 at 04:14 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.