Kenwood DNX-9140
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Kenwood DNX-9140 within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; This weekend I received my Kenwood head unit from UPS. I was able to get it in the car in ...

Kenwood DNX-9140

This weekend I received my Kenwood head unit from UPS. I was able to get it in the car in less than an hour.

This thing really was a breeze to install thanks mostly to the easy removal of the WRX's radio bezel. Another factor that really helped was the Crutchfield wiring harness. All of the colors on the wiring harness matched up with those on Kenwood's wiring harness.

I used the mounting kit from Scosche. This kit is 100% plastic like most mounting kits so I was a little worried when it came time to secure it to the head unit. Everything went off smooth and it looks GREAT. This is no doubt the best looking mounting kit I've used. Not only does it look great, but the fitment is perfect.

I probably would have used the JDM bezel had I known about it before I ordered all of my stuff.

The 9140 comes with a microphone and a PTT button for voice recognition. Due to the awesomeness of the WRX's dash construction, I was able to run the mic and PTT button to the steering wheel without removing any additional dash pieces.

I also purchased the iPod cable to go with the unit. I ran the iPod hookup and spare USB port to the glove box once again removing only the radio bezel. I am officially disk-less. 120GB iPod is all I need to rock out! The iPod interface on this unit is stellar, better than any I've used in the past. I can random play all, it displays all the proper artist, song, and album info. The unit lets me control everything I can do with the iPod.

The 9140 also comes with a magnetic Nav antenna. Kenwood includes a small magnetic mounting pad that is sticky on the back. This is to mount the Nav antenna to plastic and it works great! I put mine under the dash behind the gauge cluster and the signal is good.

Overall, the head unit is top notch. There are some things I would improve on but much much less than other comparable head units. The Nav interface is top notch. The customizable settings are overkill and that's what I like.

There is a very nice equalizer for all three audio channels (F,R,C). If you or a friend know how to properly tune this head unit, the sound is AMAZING! I was originally planning on replacing the stock speakers but now I don't have to. I'm probably not an audiophile but there is definitely a threshold I cannot deal with. The stock speakers with this head unit (properly tuned) are way above.

Some friends and I went to the drive-in last night and saw Terminator. All I have to say is OMFG! The Dolby surround movie setting is astonishing. The experience is just wow.

The Bluetooth hands free calling is great, I haven't had a single complaint about the microphone yet. Everyone can hear me nice and clear even with the windows cracked. My only complaint about the voice recognition is that it doesn't like Pittsburgh'ese!

Honestly, this head unit is well worth the money and I would recommend it to anyone that is willing to pay.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice info -- I have the DNX-5120 and am VERY happy with it. The newer/higher end models have a few more bells and whistles which it sounds like you're enjoying, but weren't important to me when I was choosing mine.

Best thing about it to me is the Garmin Nav. That's why I picked the Kenwood over any other in-dash navi unit!

I personally prefer the look of the Scosche/Metra plastic mounting trim better than the JDM bezel. The JDM bezel makes it look too recessed, IMO.

I lived with a guy from Pittsburgh for a while, some times he would say things that just made me go "" lol

Your screen needs desmudged already!
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

I love the Garmin navigation so far. It works really well in the city which I've found to be unusual.

My greasy fingered friend was playing with the EQ but I didn't even notice until after I already posted the pics!

Some people around here have their own language!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.