2009 wrx stereo help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 wrx stereo help within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hello I just picked up my 2009 wrx and I was so in love with the drive, I never checked ...

2009 wrx stereo help

Hello I just picked up my 2009 wrx and I was so in love with the drive, I never checked the stereo. Well the stock stereo is awful, I don't need a stereo that rattles trunks or draws attention. I just need something that is good and clean. I am thinking about adding the subaru subwoofer, to see if that helps. Does anyone have an opinion on this and if not I would love to hear any suggestions. Money and weight is an issue. I don't want the car weighted down with amps and speaker boxes

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you have an 09 premium or just normal WRX? You could just add a deck and amp the factory speakers, this is what i was running for a few days before I had all my speakers installed and to be honest the sound was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    Do you have an 09 premium or just normal WRX? You could just add a deck and amp the factory speakers, this is what i was running for a few days before I had all my speakers installed and to be honest the sound was awesome.
    I have the regular sound system, not the premium. Can you tell me exactly what you had that made the sound so much better

I ran a Pioneer AVHP4100DVD, probably over kill if your on a bit of a budget, a nice Alpine or Pioneer CD deck will do and a JLG4500 500w 4 channel amp. Then I was using thr factory speakers amped for a few days and it sounded great. I do have the Premium though and the speakers are quite good from factory. Now I do have them all for sale if your looking for a really cheap upgrade?

Interested! How much, what am I getting, and will it fit in mine?

The Subaru sub is ok for sound, but that really depends on how into audio you are. I found it to be quite lacking, but I am a really big audiophile. It seems almost any aftermarket deck will really increase the quality of your system, I'd suggest Kenwood or Panasonic, as I have had decks from both companies and they were really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
    The Subaru sub is ok for sound, but that really depends on how into audio you are. I found it to be quite lacking, but I am a really big audiophile. It seems almost any aftermarket deck will really increase the quality of your system, I'd suggest Kenwood or Panasonic, as I have had decks from both companies and they were really good.
    I run the under seat sub.. I think it does a great job as the driver but passengers unimpressed... I need my trunk space.. haha
    08 WRX Sedan
    the WRX is back! 340whp 366 tq @22psi

Honestly, I did the same thing. I never turned on the radio once during the test drive because I didn't give a crap. When I drove it home, I was like "F***, the stereo sucks." lol

But it's really not as bad as it seems. I took the bass up to +6 or +7, treble up to +7 or +8, and midrange down to -1 and it's actually an acceptable stock audio system for now. Sounds MUCH better than it did flat. I don't know if it's different for the sedan, but I have the 5-door, and the acoustics are quite nice, the bass is tight and punchy, and the high's are a bit above "ok". Not too bad for stock, if you ask me.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

Quote Originally Posted by woonkie View Post
    Hello I just picked up my 2009 wrx and I was so in love with the drive, I never checked the stereo. Well the stock stereo is awful, I don't need a stereo that rattles trunks or draws attention. I just need something that is good and clean. I am thinking about adding the subaru subwoofer, to see if that helps. Does anyone have an opinion on this and if not I would love to hear any suggestions. Money and weight is an issue. I don't want the car weighted down with amps and speaker boxes
    I just got mine last weekend and ran into the same problem. We have a tribeca too and I guess I just assumed that Subaru wouldn't put in a awful stereo in their new WRX. Anyone got ideas for upgrading. I wanna replace the deck, speakers that have decent bass and maybe add a amp for the speakers as I don't want a sub.

I dont know if the premiums only have this feature since i have an 08 with the premium sound (no sub, but have the 6disc unit) and if you go to menu and turn on " CS Auto", the sound quality/difference is day and night. I was messing around with the unit a while back when i discovered this awesomness. Try it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by woonkie View Post

I just swapped out my speakers for some infinity 6022i. I only did the front two so far but it is night and day. They are not amped and Im on the stock head unit. 100 bucks for the four. I also put in dynamat on the front doors. Sounds way better.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkattack View Post
    I just swapped out my speakers for some infinity 6022i. I only did the front two so far but it is night and day. They are not amped and Im on the stock head unit. 100 bucks for the four. I also put in dynamat on the front doors. Sounds way better.
    Thanks for the tip. Did you have to drill new holes and/or use a spacer, or was this a direct replacement? Also, did you disconnect the existing component tweeters (if you have those?).

Quote Originally Posted by beren33333 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Did you have to drill new holes and/or use a spacer, or was this a direct replacement? Also, did you disconnect the existing component tweeters (if you have those?).
    I did not disconnect the tweeters. The only holes I had to drill were the 2 holes to the new mounting brackets (1 each) to the doors. Used the stock door mounting holes, so no drilling into the doors themselves. The brackets I used were for a Saturn vue / chevy iquinox (sp). I got the speakers and mounting hardware from crutchfield. The electrical adapters were from a toyota. Simple plug and play. Speaker install took maybe 3 minutes per door. Dynamat was another couple hours. Doing my rear doors on Tuesday. I am very very pleased with the results.

So if everyone had the choice of new speakers with a new head unit or new speakers with the factory unit amped, which would they go with???

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopsw View Post
    So if everyone had the choice of new speakers with a new head unit or new speakers with the factory unit amped, which would they go with???
    Just throw in speakers and see how it sounds. If it's not right, then add to it. I am very pleased with just the speakers. If I was going to amp it then I'd go with a new head unit too.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast