2009 wrx stereo help - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 wrx stereo help within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by sharkattack Just throw in speakers and see how it sounds. If it's not right, then add to ...

Quote Originally Posted by sharkattack View Post
    Just throw in speakers and see how it sounds. If it's not right, then add to it. I am very pleased with just the speakers. If I was going to amp it then I'd go with a new head unit too.
    Ok thanks. So the factory head unit sounded fine to you with different speakers???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopsw View Post
    Ok thanks. So the factory head unit sounded fine to you with different speakers???
    It was night and day. I am very pleased.

I have the base system and replaced the speakers in the front with Infinity reference separates (I bought replacement sail panels with the speaker mesh already molded in to mount my tweeters in so I wouldn't have to cut-up my stock sail panels) and the rears with Polk audios. I also have the under seat subwoofer. Overall, it's fine, but nowhere near having a dedicated amp and "real" subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
    Honestly, I did the same thing. I never turned on the radio once during the test drive because I didn't give a crap. When I drove it home, I was like "F***, the stereo sucks." lol
    i did the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by djbizkets View Post
    i did the same thing
    When I was shopping for my first car a few years ago (ended up with an Acura RSX-S but shopped around a lot) I ended up checking out some flavor of a new Celica. I liked the car a lot, except I turned on the stereo and immediately decided I couldn't buy the car.

This was before I knew about the wonderful world of aftermarket stereos... but either way, glad I ended up with the RSX instead of the Celica.

Now I can say every vehicle I have/had is an "X":
    RSX
    VTX
    WRX
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

i just grabbed the 09 wrx premium and it says it has a 10 speaker sound system i can only count 4 speakers and 2 tweeters so does anyone know where the other 4 are loacted? also can anyone tell me the size of the front and rear speakers as im wanting to swamp them for better ones because the stock system is garbage

Quote Originally Posted by 09rexxin View Post
    i just grabbed the 09 wrx premium and it says it has a 10 speaker sound system i can only count 4 speakers and 2 tweeters so does anyone know where the other 4 are loacted? also can anyone tell me the size of the front and rear speakers as im wanting to swamp them for better ones because the stock system is garbage
    I think it's something like the front and back speakers in the doors are counted as 2 each... I'm not 100% on that though.
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Your speaker sizes are 6.5" front and back, JL make 2 very good replacements either a TR or a C2 speaker.

If you are not adding an amplifier buy the TR's, they give great clean sound, maybe not the loudest in the world but great clarity. If your adding an amp then the C2s are awesome, much better sound quality to the TR range and they will take a lot more power (Im running these all around in my 09 WRX on a JLG6600 amp.)

As for a 10 speaker system, your front door tweaters are 2, then each one of your main door speakers has a main driver and another tweater each. So essentially 6 tweaters and 4 drivers gives you 10.

If your still interested I have a full 09 WRX premium speaker system for sale, includes 6 disc deck, sirius module and all the premium speakers in perfect condition, $95 USD plus postage.

Oh and if your not adding a sub trust me amping the premium factory speakers gives better bass reproduction than most aftermarkets! I tried quite a few different ones as I am the manager of a car audio department and found for some strange reason the premium speakers give better than average bass performance.

If I were you, buy a decent 4 channel amp (Alpine MRMF550 or JLG4500 depending on budget) and the 6 disc deck and speakers im selling. Take the door panels off and fix the rattles they have, there is a thread on this here:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/interi...-2009-wrx.html

and you will be more than happy!!!!.

A very cost effective way of a decent sounding yet stock appearance sound system!!! Oh and the 09 WRX dash is so easy to take apart you shouldnt have any trouble. If you need advice on the door panels let me know as they can be tricky!
    Last edited by binjoau; 07-03-2009 at 08:58 AM.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    Your speaker sizes are 6.5" front and back, JL make 2 very good replacements either a TR or a C2 speaker.

If you are not adding an amplifier buy the TR's, they give great clean sound, maybe not the loudest in the world but great clarity. If your adding an amp then the C2s are awesome, much better sound quality to the TR range and they will take a lot more power (Im running these all around in my 09 WRX on a JLG6600 amp.)

As for a 10 speaker system, your front door tweaters are 2, then each one of your main door speakers has a main driver and another tweater each. So essentially 6 tweaters and 4 drivers gives you 10.

If your still interested I have a full 09 WRX premium speaker system for sale, includes 6 disc deck, sirius module and all the premium speakers in perfect condition, $95 USD plus postage.

Oh and if your not adding a sub trust me amping the premium factory speakers gives better bass reproduction than most aftermarkets! I tried quite a few different ones as I am the manager of a car audio department and found for some strange reason the premium speakers give better than average bass performance.

If I were you, buy a decent 4 channel amp (Alpine MRMF550 or JLG4500 depending on budget) and the 6 disc deck and speakers im selling. Take the door panels off and fix the rattles they have, there is a thread on this here:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/interi...-2009-wrx.html

and you will be more than happy!!!!.

A very cost effective way of a decent sounding yet stock appearance sound system!!! Oh and the 09 WRX dash is so easy to take apart you shouldnt have any trouble. If you need advice on the door panels let me know as they can be tricky!
    Stopping the speaker rattles works even better if you use Dynamat or equivalent -- I used biodegradeable packing peanuts and they've disappeared
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Just a note on the JL C2 speakers, Crutchfield states that they are actually closer to 6.75" speakers and says they will not fit on an 09 WRX. I came across this because I am builing a system for mine and ordered the 5.25" JL C2s because they would fit for sure. Crutchfield could be wrong but I decided to just play it safe. I picked mine up for only $80 at Dealer Cost Car Audio...they are going for like $120 on ebay so I was happy with the deal. I

If anyone is interested I will post a review of the stuff I got for my system when it is all installed...hopefully this weekend.

binjoau,

did your 6 1/2" fit pretty effortlessly in ur 09 or did u have to do some mods to ur panels?

There was some omdifications required to fit the front 6.5" speakers into the factory brackets but nothing beyond a bit of cutting and some new screws. Quite easy really. I will grab a set of C2s today and compare them to a set of VRs to see if there is any difference. ( I manage a Car Audio store).

The rear speakers however are a direct fit, no modification needed at all. Remember though if you are installing a coaxial speaker you will need to extend the speaker wire from before the resistor that runs the factory tweeter to ensure all the signal is reaching it. Then the front tweeter can be easily disabled and it pops off quite easily with two hands.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers

We dont have any 6.5" C2s in stock at my store so im getting some from our other location tomorrow and il be changing out my current JL VR's for the new C2's.

It will be interesting to see about the fitment and to see if there is any improvement in sound quality!

I also spoke to my JL rep today about there new HD 900/5 Amp, ita a full digital 900 watt rms 5 channel amp! Im currently running the new G6600 6 channel amp but decided I want the even newer one! He did tell me they had only 100 units and they are all presold to US customers! None in Canada till late August so I guess il have to wait!!!!
    Last edited by binjoau; 07-13-2009 at 06:22 PM.

question factory 6-disk

so... does the factor 6 disk cd player have an aux input on the back? i want to run my blackberry through my stereo and play music but i don't want to disassemble my dash if it wont work. if so is there and easy way to access the back of the head without taking a whole bunch of stuff apart?

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Alan28 View Post
    I have the base system and replaced the speakers in the front with Infinity reference separates (I bought replacement sail panels with the speaker mesh already molded in to mount my tweeters in so I wouldn't have to cut-up my stock sail panels) and the rears with Polk audios. I also have the under seat subwoofer. Overall, it's fine, but nowhere near having a dedicated amp and "real" subwoofer.
    Hey Alan28,

Where did you get the replacement sail panels from (I'm assuming these are the stock/factory parts used in WRXs to house the tweeters for the premium audio package)? And can you tell me how much they cost? I am planning to buy an 09 WRX quite soon, but was sorely disappointed with the stock stereo. If it's easy to get these parts, then I don't have to hem and haw about getting the premium version!

Thanks,
    Evan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.