Any suggestions before I buy a stereo
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Any suggestions before I buy a stereo within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; OK so i don't have a WRX, but I just bought the next best thing, a 2000 2.5 RS Coupe. ...

tsm

Any suggestions before I buy a stereo

OK so i don't have a WRX, but I just bought the next best thing, a 2000 2.5 RS Coupe. Its awesome, but the sound system is awful. I promptly installed my Alpine CDA-9835 deck so I could at least listen to my ipod, but I am planning on upgrading the rest of the system now. I have a box with 2 10" alpine subs and hooked up to a mono amp from my previous car (it was hit and totaled by some woman on her cell phone ). I read up on amplifiers and didn't realize just how much a difference they made in sound quality so I decided to get a 4 channel amp to power the speakers. I also decided to buy a lot of Dynamat for sound deadening since I heard the RS's are like tin cans.

I was planning on getting:
    Alpine MRP-F600 4-channel Amplifier
    Kicker 05PKD1 1/0-Gauge Dual Amplifier Power Kit
    Kicker 05SI45 5-Meter 4-Channel S-Series Signal Cable
    Kicker 05SI27 7-Meter 2-Channel S-Series Signal Cable
    Alpine SPR-17S Component Speakers
    Alpine SPR-69C 6x9 coaxial speakers
    Dynamat 10455 Xtreme Bulk Pack 9 Sheets

I have speaker cable at my house, and if I need to I can always go buy more at Radioshack.

My only concern is if my alternator is going to be able to handle the current load. The mono amp I have hooked up to the subwoofer is the Jensen 900 Power. I think I read it is 340 W RMS and the 4 channel amp I was going to buy is 400 W RMS. According to crutchfield you take the total power (740), double it (1480), divide by 13.8 since that's the average voltage an alternator puts out (107), and divide by 3 since that's the current associated with a normal listening volume putting me at about 35 amps. They also said an alternator can spare about 40% of its current for a stereo, and for a 2.5 RS I read the alternators are rated at 75 amps, so that leaves me 30 amps. That puts me at 5 amps more than I can spare. Do you guys think I'll be alright or am I going to burn out my alternator and have to buy an upgraded one? I don't usually turn the volume up to anything above pleasant and I really only have subs for the low frequencies. I rarely just want to bump.

I also was wondering about tweeter locations. There appears to be a place to mount them right next to the lever to open the door (where the factory ones would be if i had them), but I don't know if its an ideal location. I don't mind cutting a hole in the door panel or A column if it means better sound imaging (my deck has 6 channel time delay, but 2 channels are for the subs, so I still need to get the tweeters about the same distance as the woofers for the front component speakers. I don't think the passive crossovers have delay settings but that would be cool if they did).

So ya, any suggestions and comments you have would be very much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tsm View Post
    OK so i don't have a WRX, but I just bought the next best thing, a 2000 2.5 RS Coupe. Its awesome, but the sound system is awful. I promptly installed my Alpine CDA-9835 deck so I could at least listen to my ipod, but I am planning on upgrading the rest of the system now. I have a box with 2 10" alpine subs and hooked up to a mono amp from my previous car (it was hit and totaled by some woman on her cell phone ). I read up on amplifiers and didn't realize just how much a difference they made in sound quality so I decided to get a 4 channel amp to power the speakers. I also decided to buy a lot of Dynamat for sound deadening since I heard the RS's are like tin cans.

I was planning on getting:
    Alpine MRP-F600 4-channel Amplifier
    Kicker 05PKD1 1/0-Gauge Dual Amplifier Power Kit
    Kicker 05SI45 5-Meter 4-Channel S-Series Signal Cable
    Kicker 05SI27 7-Meter 2-Channel S-Series Signal Cable
    Alpine SPR-17S Component Speakers
    Alpine SPR-69C 6x9 coaxial speakers
    Dynamat 10455 Xtreme Bulk Pack 9 Sheets

I have speaker cable at my house, and if I need to I can always go buy more at Radioshack.

My only concern is if my alternator is going to be able to handle the current load. The mono amp I have hooked up to the subwoofer is the Jensen 900 Power. I think I read it is 340 W RMS and the 4 channel amp I was going to buy is 400 W RMS. According to crutchfield you take the total power (740), double it (1480), divide by 13.8 since that's the average voltage an alternator puts out (107), and divide by 3 since that's the current associated with a normal listening volume putting me at about 35 amps. They also said an alternator can spare about 40% of its current for a stereo, and for a 2.5 RS I read the alternators are rated at 75 amps, so that leaves me 30 amps. That puts me at 5 amps more than I can spare. Do you guys think I'll be alright or am I going to burn out my alternator and have to buy an upgraded one? I don't usually turn the volume up to anything above pleasant and I really only have subs for the low frequencies. I rarely just want to bump.

I also was wondering about tweeter locations. There appears to be a place to mount them right next to the lever to open the door (where the factory ones would be if i had them), but I don't know if its an ideal location. I don't mind cutting a hole in the door panel or A column if it means better sound imaging (my deck has 6 channel time delay, but 2 channels are for the subs, so I still need to get the tweeters about the same distance as the woofers for the front component speakers. I don't think the passive crossovers have delay settings but that would be cool if they did).

So ya, any suggestions and comments you have would be very much appreciated.
    Welcome...
    I can toss a few suggestions your way. First one is maybe looking at 4ga power wire instead of 1ga as the 1 ga may be a little overkill for what you are running. The alternator should be just fine i run a 1300w sub amp with 2 15" subs and a 400w mids and highs amp for 4 + years now with no problems.

As for the tweeters i have my polk db tweeters in the factory location and they sound pretty good. Its probably not the ideal location for sound staging but they do sound pretty good there.

As far as the dynamat goes you might want to check out a company called fatmat or rammmat. I used the fatmat in my car and got 120sqft for $130 i believe which was about half of what the same ammount of dynamat would have cost.
    Just to give you an idea on how much you will use i belive to do just the trunk you need 25-30sqft. Good luck man let us know how everything turns out
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

tsm
    I decided to switch the amp power kit to the 4 gauge. I looked up current ratings on power cables and 1 gauge was definitely overkill.

I also decided to go with the dynamat due to a suggestion from my dad's friend who is a mechanic. He was saying dynamat is much denser than any of the other stuff he's seen (so it could be that fatmat is just as good), but I decided I wouldn't regret buying stuff that I know works. I also got 2 packs of it so I could do the floor, since I heard a good portion of the noise comes through there.

When I get it all installed I'll post pics. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.