Replacing Stock Stereo

This is a discussion on Replacing Stock Stereo within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey all, first post. I bought a 2002 WRX this past weekend and I have a couple questions. I'm trying ...

Replacing Stock Stereo

Hey all, first post. I bought a 2002 WRX this past weekend and I have a couple questions.

I'm trying to replace the stock head unit with a Pioneer head unit I had in my old vehicle. What components do I need to accomplish this and how do I do it? Also, I know what I'm doing once the head unit is installed as far as installing my amp/subs but I did a rather messy job last time (read: wires all over the place). So what's the best way to conceal my wires/cables under the carpet? I know every car is different. In that same vein, where is the best place to bring the power cable through the firewall?

My other (less pressing) question is how difficult is it to change out the dashboard lights and how would I do so?

Anyway, I'm extremely excited to finally have the car I've been lusting after since it came out, even if it's an older model. As soon as I graduate I have a way in at my hometown's fire department at which point I'll buy my REAL dream car, the STI.
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    Hey all, first post. I bought a 2002 WRX this past weekend and I have a couple questions.

I'm trying to replace the stock head unit with a Pioneer head unit I had in my old vehicle. What components do I need to accomplish this and how do I do it? Also, I know what I'm doing once the head unit is installed as far as installing my amp/subs but I did a rather messy job last time (read: wires all over the place). So what's the best way to conceal my wires/cables under the carpet? I know every car is different. In that same vein, where is the best place to bring the power cable through the firewall?

My other (less pressing) question is how difficult is it to change out the dashboard lights and how would I do so?

Anyway, I'm extremely excited to finally have the car I've been lusting after since it came out, even if it's an older model. As soon as I graduate I have a way in at my hometown's fire department at which point I'll buy my REAL dream car, the STI.
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    welcome..
    ok for the stereo do you have the stock radio in the wrx now? if so you will use the brackets that hold that in. Second is the pioneer you have a single din or double din? if its single you will want to pick up a din pocket otherwise you will have a big ugly hole in your dash under the radio. You will also need to get a wiring harness that will plug into the stock wrk plug which can be had from your local car audio shop.

As far as where to bring in the power wire there is a gromet right around where the clutch pedal is on the firewall thats the best place to bring it in. To conceal the wires the easiest thing is to pull up the door sills they are just pop clips and tuck the wires under the carpet that way. If the amp will be in the trunk the back seat comes out with just a few bolts so you can conceal the wires very easily.

What color are you wanting to change the dash lights to? I did mine blue and alll i did was buy some 3way led's and swap them out took about 10 min and looks great IMO. If you want to go any other color there are more steps involved.

Click on the search button( it will be your friend) at the top of the page and type in dash light change or something like that there are a few threads that go into more detail.
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

Quote Originally Posted by adizzle02 View Post
    ok for the stereo do you have the stock radio in the wrx now? if so you will use the brackets that hold that in. Second is the pioneer you have a single din or double din? if its single you will want to pick up a din pocket otherwise you will have a big ugly hole in your dash under the radio. You will also need to get a wiring harness that will plug into the stock wrk plug which can be had from your local car audio shop.
    Well I don't know what single or double din is, but from context I would have to say that it is probably single since it won't completely fill the gap that the current head unit fills. And yes the head unit is stock.

Quote Originally Posted by adizzle02 View Post
    What color are you wanting to change the dash lights to?
    Probably blue as well, though I'm exploring options. I don't know how "manly" it is, but I've always liked purple accents in/on cars so I'm also considering that.

replacing the head unit is a cake job.

the main thing to get is a radio harness connector. if you dont have that thing then you'll have to cut into the factory wires, and you dont want to do that at all. i bought the harness for $20.00. you can get it for chaeper though. $14.00. its hard to be found around here where im at, so, i spent 20 bones. at your local audio center. anyways, once you connected the harness your good to go on the head unit.

as for for the remote cable and the rca cables to the amp, run them through the carpet underneath the center console. taking off the center console, and back seats to running the wires underneath. understand what i mean? and for the power cable to the amp i ran it throught the firewall by the clutch pedal and along the driver side doors, to underneath the back seat and meeting the amp at back. for the ground i just bolted them to the back seat belt stud holder. works perfect.
    an easy job, just be careful when taking out the head unit, in not to scratch the surface on the radio holding console.
    any more questions just shoot them at me. good luck.
    and welcome aboard.