Subwoofer Box Completed, On to the Amp Rack!

This is a discussion on Subwoofer Box Completed, On to the Amp Rack! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; EDIT: My photos wont upload??? I finally got the design together for this vented enclosure for four 8" 8ohm svc ...

Subwoofer Box Completed, On to the Amp Rack!

EDIT: My photos wont upload???

I finally got the design together for this vented enclosure for four 8" 8ohm svc subs. I used 3/4" MDF, 2.25" coarse threaded drywall screws, PL Premium construction adhesive, Madisound 24K screw terminals, MonsterCable THX Grade 10AWG speaker cable, Precision Port 3" ports, Parts Express Automotive carpet (black), 3M Super77 fast drying adhesive, 10/32x1" cap socket screws x 24, #8 washers x 48, #8 coarse stainless nuts x 24, black oxide coated coarse wood cabinet finishing screws #3/.75" x 16.

The idea here is that the angles stiffen the enclosure, and also direct the sound pressure from adjacent drivers into one another, creating a coupling effect. In an area as small as a car's cabin, this is a way to sort of cheat and get a few more SPL without distortion. I also figure my usual use of a pair of 12" subs would be overkill in something as tiny as a WRX. I am looking forward to shaming movie theaters here.

This will soon be in the trunk, right between the shock pillars, with a coupling that will let me remove the enclosure for extra bikes (we ride MTBs here in Maine). The Madisound terminals will let me use bananas on the amp's output speaker cables (Premier D-2000SPL 4kw at 2ohms).

My nominal load is 2.4ohms, so I ought to see 3600rms watts to these (I am going to turn the gain WAYYY down on this, these little drivers only need 130 or so watts to punch like mad).

No competition system, but fun...

When the amp is getting to it, we'll have the digital camera running again, but for now, I have one construction pic, and a couple of nearly finished pics... I was soldering the harnesses for the bridge between the enclosure terminals and the speaker terminals, and had not bolted the drivers down yet. It seems the driver builders like us to use bolts on alloy spidered drivers... what a pain having to drill so straight! Payoff is a clean build... and a perfect fit between the pillars. Snug enough to be able to get away with no floor locks, but I am going to anyway.

I have been building enclosures for custom car audio systems for 20 odd years, and this is one of the most fun I have built yet. A lot of SPL from 3cf! Also the first time I have used a 2kw amplifier. 4ohm would be more ideal, cleaner, but I have these 8ohm drivers... and 8ohm coils last just fine in a vented enclosure. Big ol' ports, eh?

I might be able to generate some data before I sell the PRS 600. I am on the hunt for a deal on a DEH-4K. I want a 2DIN touch screen head with at least a 4v out, and that has everything I need. I am using a SoundStream PQ7, and I only need 4 channels. I can derive the 5th and 6th for the subs on that. As for other links, the cables I have ought to be fine. I have a CD-BTB200 for the phone, and a CD-i200 for the iPod... ought to be some decent pics... same with the doors, and I will be asking somewhere here... here? yeah... here... has anyone shoe-horned a 6" mid into our doors (2002 WRX 4dr)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails subie box copy.jpg  
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 01-01-2009 at 05:13 PM.