Question on adding Subwoofer and Amp to stock system.

This is a discussion on Question on adding Subwoofer and Amp to stock system. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I was thinking of upgrading my system in my 2008 Subaru WRX - The actual speakers and head unit are ...

Question on adding Subwoofer and Amp to stock system.

I was thinking of upgrading my system in my 2008 Subaru WRX - The actual speakers and head unit are fairly loud, and sound fine, but im wondering if its a waste to spend $500 to throw a sub and an amp into my stock system.

Is this setup just going to overpower the speakers as they currently are? While I don't want them to be overpowered, I also want it to pound when I am in the mood for hip hop.

I primarily listen to hip hop and classic rock / the beatles.

Here is what I had in mind - I will be using the monster line level converter to get my amp the signal.

Ill be using this as the amp:

Alpine MRP-M500 Mono subwoofer amplifier 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

matched with an Alpine Type-R 10" Sub

Alpine SWR-1022D Type-R 10" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

I was going to have it professionally installed with all the hardware for around $515 at ultimate electronics.

I am used to having a aftermarket HU, speakers, etc, but this car is a lease and I just want to add some nice lows without spending too much money.

Anyone got any opinions, or better yet has anyone done anything similar with a newer WRX?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

QFT
    As far as the subwoofer overpowering the music... that's completely within your control... just don't turn the sub up too high if you're worried about it. Having something with the ability to really pound is good, because it'll sound really good at low volumes as well.

If you're REALLY worried, just buy some new speakers yourself and install them. It's not very hard, and you can read reviews on Crutchfield and buy on Ebay if you're really cheap.

I installed an under-seat amp/sub combo in mine. Doesn't sound nearly as nice as the one you're looking at, but it fills out the music some, and I kept my entire trunk

If you're worried about something being too loud, that might be a good route to go... a little cheaper, more quiet, and great in terms of space savings

if your looking for some bass without loosing the space id go wit a pioneer thin mount sub in a small box. but aside from that you can do the install on the amp yourself, just run ur power ground and remote (switched acc) and pic up a PAC adaptior ( hi to low) and wire it into the rear speakers, this converts your speaker signal into a low level imput for your RCA's to hook into and hook it up to the amp and your good. no swaping radio you really dont even need to go behind the radio..
    ~Drew~

"drive fast, take chances, keep it between the ditches"

WRX 2008. What wire should I user for remote? It's a non premium sound with NAV.