Stopped speaker rattles - 2009 WRX

This is a discussion on Stopped speaker rattles - 2009 WRX within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; My front passenger door speaker rattled like CRAZY at low bass (stock speakers), so I decided to investigate. After getting ...

Stopped speaker rattles - 2009 WRX

My front passenger door speaker rattled like CRAZY at low bass (stock speakers), so I decided to investigate. After getting the info from jcaputo on how to remove the interior door trim (thanks! ), I think I found the source of the problem.

The speaker is in the "front" (towards hood) of the door, and there is some kind of plastic box in the "back" (towards trunk) of the interior door trim. After playing some music and knocking around, it seems that the plastic box in the door trim is rattling against a plastic lattice in the door itself. It's supposed to butt up against it I guess but it's juuuuust separated.

See pictures to clarify -- I didn't have any dynamat or similar on hand, and just wanted to try and find the problem first so I used duct tape and packing peanuts! I first braced the plastic box against the door trim so it itself couldnt rattle, then put peanuts on the outside where it mates with the door frame plastic lattice.

Now all I hear is the rattles coming from the OTHER 3 doors but this seems to have improved the front passenger door
    Last edited by elwray; 12-23-2008 at 09:10 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Front passenger door without interior trim.

plastic "lattice" in rear of passenger door

Interior door trim, the "rear" of the trim is to the left. you can see the speaker cover to the right.

close-up of the plastic box. as far as i can tell the only purpose of this is to prevent pressure from collapsing the door trim panel....

packing peanuts on surface of "box" and foam plastic stuff between underside of box and door trim panel itself.

Sorry for bad quality, took on cell phone. I will take better pictures when I hit the other 3 doors and use a car-audio dampening product like dynamat or whatever. This seems to have done the trick though!
    Last edited by elwray; 12-23-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added pics

interesting! i need to do this badly! my passenger front rattles rediculously

Question: Are you using the stock radio?

I had mad rattles with the stock unit, then I tossed in a Clarion and no more rattles. Weird, but I think the stock head unit's built-in EQ (or lack of) is what caused the excessive rattle-freq.

Yes, stock HU. You might be right about the EQ, but the rattle was physically the white plastic box thing tapping on the trim. Easy enough to fix, just a little annoying in the meantime

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Yes, stock HU. You might be right about the EQ, but the rattle was physically the white plastic box thing tapping on the trim. Easy enough to fix, just a little annoying in the meantime
    I'm glad you found the culprit! In my spare time I may seek out the plastic box and fix it your way also, to guarantee no more rattles. But for now, the aftermarket HU cleaned it right up. I've read other posts stating the same thing. GREAT JOB and THANKS FOR LETTING US ALL KNOW HOW YOU FIXED THE PROBLEM!

I just took mien to the dealer when i had this problem. They just insulated the doors more.

anyone who owns a stock wrx stereo should do this!!!! I luckily work at an electronics store and had some of the car installers do it for me in about 30 mins for both doors!

He actually used a peice of dynamat with so spray adhesive and not only has the rattle stopped but it has also reduced echo inside the door also!!! Super Happy!!!!

Yea, basically that's what the dealership did. worked great. I live in Philly but opted to buy my car from a smaller family owned Subaru dealer just because of little things like this. It didn't cost me a thing .