06 WRX Wagon Radio Console Disassembly --

This is a discussion on 06 WRX Wagon Radio Console Disassembly -- within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just had my 06 Rex Wagon fiitted with Alpine cda-9884 unit. I forgot to tell the installer to hook ...

Smile 06 WRX Wagon Radio Console Disassembly --

I just had my 06 Rex Wagon fiitted with Alpine cda-9884 unit. I forgot to tell the installer to hook up the optional AUX cable.

How do I disassemble the Head Unit Pocket? 'couldn't really find any guide anywhere.

Thanks-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1) open the center console armrest/compartment lid and remove the two screws in the front.
    2) pull up and pop the center console out.
    3) unscrew the (now exposed) two bottom screws on the a/c heater panel and pop it out.
    4) unscrew the two bottom screws and pop off the radio panel.
    5) remove the HU by unscrewing the retaining screws.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Thanks, mon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    1) open the center console armrest/compartment lid and remove the two screws in the front.
    2) pull up and pop the center console out.
    3) unscrew the (now exposed) two bottom screws on the a/c heater panel and pop it out.
    4) unscrew the two bottom screws and pop off the radio panel.
    5) remove the HU by unscrewing the retaining screws.

I just picked up an '06 WRX and plan on swapping out the stock head unit (it's a Limited trim so comes with the cd changer stock). My main motivation is to buy a unit with an AUX input because most of my listening is through my ipod and I don't want to continuously keep burning cds to play.

How complicated is it to swap out the units yourself? Would you recommend having it done professionally with the purchase instead?
    Instead of swapping HUs, is there any easy way to rig up an aux connection to the existing unit? Are there any spare hookups for like an external cd changer or anything like that that I can hack into an aux input?

The stock unit is easy to replace once you figure out how.

The main challenge is finding the right head unit pocket. I did have a "pro" install it for me, but he did a shoddy job. I had to go to this site and also the NASIOC site to get it just right.

I chose an ALPINE unit(Ebay). If you can, get the full speed interface(it's only 4-10 on ebay). It sounds waaaay better than the AUX IN port (I have both in case I need to connect my iPhone, which sadly isn't supported by the full speed interface, but I bought a 20 GB ipod for $45 to fix that).

If I were you, I would buy the head unit from ebay(I chose the CDA-9886 for $150), then have the installer do it for you for $50 bucks plus $20 for the double din pocket adapter. This way, you're not scratching your head (if you can find the right pocket for the 06 WRX, then I would install everything myself).

Oh yeah, one more thing. You will need to cut the stock wires and replace it with the wire harness that is hopefully included with the head unit receiver(otherwise, it's another $5-15 on ebay).

To recap, buy the unit yourself on ebay(save a up to 50%), then have the pro install it (I am only recommending the pro install since they mostly have the parts you need for the install). Otherwise, if you're comfortable with slicing, splicing and soldering wires, then you can choose to do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by akpak View Post
    I just picked up an '06 WRX and plan on swapping out the stock head unit (it's a Limited trim so comes with the cd changer stock). My main motivation is to buy a unit with an AUX input because most of my listening is through my ipod and I don't want to continuously keep burning cds to play.

How complicated is it to swap out the units yourself? Would you recommend having it done professionally with the purchase instead?
    Instead of swapping HUs, is there any easy way to rig up an aux connection to the existing unit? Are there any spare hookups for like an external cd changer or anything like that that I can hack into an aux input?

Hey thanks for the quick response. Couple of questions...
    What do you mean by full speed interface? Is it basically an adapter that connects directly to the charging/usb interface of the ipod rather than the analog aux jack? So the signal is fed digitally from the ipod and all processing is done by the HU?

Also, the stock cd changer unit is fairly tall..i would say about twice the size of regular HUs. Once you put in the Alpine, how'd you fill up the empty space?

Quote Originally Posted by akpak View Post
    Hey thanks for the quick response. Couple of questions...
    What do you mean by full speed interface? Is it basically an adapter that connects directly to the charging/usb interface of the ipod rather than the analog aux jack? So the signal is fed digitally from the ipod and all processing is done by the HU?

Also, the stock cd changer unit is fairly tall..i would say about twice the size of regular HUs. Once you put in the Alpine, how'd you fill up the empty space?
    1-yes
    2- like i said, at least for me, it was difficult to find a single din to double din adapter for the 06 wrx. If anyone else can chime in here (as far as where to find the right pocket adapter for the 06 wrx) I suggest letting the pro installers do it (most can do it within an hour).