OEM Subwoofer Install

This is a discussion on OEM Subwoofer Install within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey not to rehash an old topic but I thought I'd share my 2 cents. Picked up the OEM Subwoofer ...

OEM Subwoofer Install

Hey not to rehash an old topic but I thought I'd share my 2 cents.
    Picked up the OEM Subwoofer for my '08 WRX, and installed it tonight. Took about an hour & 45 minutes including time to get tools together & clean up. The hardest part was getting the center console off without scratching any of it, but I think it was a success! The wiring harness makes installing it REALLY easy if you know how to use a screwdriver and a torque wrench.

For any nay-sayers, the sub DOES make a noticeable difference in the sound quality of the system. No, it's not a world of difference and it certainly does not sound like the kind of subs I used to have (ie. people will still see you before they hear you), but the sub does round out the sound of the stock system nicely especially considering how poor the stereo was without it! I read in one forum that a guy didn't even notice the difference in his friend's car... Well, that guy probably hadn't set the gain and crossover frequency correctly. I'll repeat it, the sub DOES make a noticeable difference.

I wouldn't pay the list price, or anywhere near it, but considering I picked it up on eBay for under $100, it was well worth it - ESPECIALLY considering how easy the install was. Sure you might get more bang for your buck with aftermarket, but it's going to be a LOT more buck and a lot more effort to get it. $100 and an hour and a half for better sound? Worth it!
    2008 WRX 4-door Premium 5MT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is definitely a noticeable difference with the sub woofer installed. It pumps pretty loud bass for it's size and also for the ease of installation. The thing I didn't like about it was the lack of good clean bass, in my opinion it's really muffled bass
    I'd still say after market has the best sound.

I absolutely agree. I used to drive a 12" Cerwin Vega with a 2x125 Kicker amp in a box I built with my brother... Some of the punchiest bass I'd ever heard! But again, for under $100?!? Hard to do much better.

any pics of the install? a write up maybe? I'll be definitely getting a OEM sub. Although I have an infinity sub and mtx amp, i'm trying to sell that....I like having the trunk space, and I don't need to let everyone around me know that I have a sub.

Thanks for the help

Hey I didn't take any pics, but if you follow the instructions that come with the sub it's pretty self explanatory... There's also a PDF online somewhere that I've seen that details the installation.

A couple tips though...

The hardest part, like I said, is getting off the dash/center console without scratching it. I used a tiny flat head screwdriver and covered it with a cotton t-shirt to get off the stereo surround dash piece - start from a top corner and work your way down popping out the tabs.

The center console pieces all pull back (toward the back of the car) once you've unscrewed the necessary bits - don't pull UP on them, or the clips will break.

Getting the center console back in place requires a bit of oomph, you'll see the white circular clip that the console needs to hook in to - you really gotta jam it back in to place.

Make sure when getting the parking brake boot back in place that you get all the clips - there are two on the outside (driver's seat side) and three on the cup holder side.

When you have the seat unbolted, DO NOT try to adjust it back & forward - it will seat itself unevenly in the tracks. I learned this the hard way.

Also, I would recommend hooking up the sub and testing it before putting all the trim pieces/seat back in place. I did this to make it easy to adjust the gain & frequency crossover. You can then disconnect the sub, re-install the seat and trim bits, and then reconnect the sub. This does make you re-connect and then disconnect the battery one extra time, but I think it's well worth it versus finding out the sub doesn't work or the gain is all the way down and then you have to use a foot-long screwdriver in the dark to adjust it.

That's basically all the advice I have. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

aweome! thanks for the advice

actually one other question. Did you have to get the 08 wrx subwoofer? or will any subaru or any year impreza subwoofer work?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeyVtC View Post
    The hardest part, like I said, is getting off the dash/center console without scratching it. I used a tiny flat head screwdriver and covered it with a cotton t-shirt to get off the stereo surround dash piece - start from a top corner and work your way down popping out the tabs.
    I suggest getting some plastic dash removal tools for this such as: Pro.Fit Trim Panel Tool Remove your vehicle's trim panels without damage at Crutchfield.com I used these and it made getting the dash off not a big deal, and didn't have to worry nearly as much about scratching the dash.

did you pick it up off an eBay store? any problems with it?