Oem sub help?

This is a discussion on Oem sub help? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So i have an 02 with an oem sub under the seat. It worked great since i had the car ...

Oem sub help?

So i have an 02 with an oem sub under the seat. It worked great since i had the car but all of a sudden it stopped working all together. Is that the sub or maybe something else causing it to stop?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P
    2008 hatch - Perrin stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've gone through three of those. In my experience they don't last longer than a couple of years.

I'm planning on getting a Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer. I'm tired of dealing with the POS OEM sub.

Thumbs up

I have an 02 wrx and the next move i want to make with it is better sound. I currently have a stock, 6 CD changer hooked up to a stock OEM sub. I want to rip out the 6 CD changer, sell it, install a new head unit (for mp3 play back, frontal aux jack for top quality ipod playback, and for looks) and really want a little more bass so my idea is to install a OEM sub under my seat to give my car a little more "BUMP" and a unique audio set up. Now im leaning towards replacing the current OEM sub which only puts out about 100 watts with the Boss 8'' low profile one. thanks for the idea, where should i but that, do i need a new head unit if i put that in. im going to do it in 4 months when im home from college.

Really you gotta ask yourself how much "BUMP" you want your car to have. The also depends on what type of music your listening to, what door speakers you have installed and your amps. Car audio is a hobby of mine so here is what I would recommend from my personal previous set ups and my experience with installs.

#1. The speakers in your front doors are probably THE most crucial aspect to setting up even a decent sound system. You want to go out and get a good compenent set. I recommend Focals or JL audio for top of the line stuff. If you want a step down from that go with Boston Acoustic. You also want to get an AMP that's going to either max out, or come close to maxing out the max handling voltage of the speakers you buy. NEVER OVER unless you really feel like replacing your new speakers. Your rear speakers aren't as important cause lets face it, you're the one who spends the most time in your car, not your passengers. And if you put in new back speakers then you have to get a bigger AMP and spend more money.

#2. I'm very partial to JL Audio subs because I have used other brands like Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, Sony Xplode (if you buy it...i will personally come find you and punch you repeatedly in the face), and Panasonic. They are all sub par compared to JL. Depending on if you listen to mainly fast hard rock, rap or a mixture of both should determine on what kind of subs you get. If you listen to rap/hip hop a lot get one or two 12 inch subs depending on how much bump you want. Two 12s is a lot of bump though. Even if you listen to them in a store you wont notice how loud they really are until you get in your small enclosure we call cars and crank up the tunes. For any other applications I sugges that you go with two 10" subs. The 10" subs still give you that bump if you listen to a mixture of rock and rap and if you listen to hard fast rock the smaller diameter of the speaker is able to be pulled back faster so you get a more clear and exact sound.

#3. Your amps are obviously important. You want to make sure you get amps that will push as close to the maximum the speakers will handle but never more. As stated in point #1. you dont want to be replacing your new speakers. Get a nice 4 channel amp for your door speakers. Depending on what subs you go with 1 or 2 channel amps can be used depending on how performance youre looking at getting. The most cost effective is just go get a 1 channel amp and if you have two subs just run an extra set of wires.

Second half of reply courtesy of Drews, Ft Walton Beach, FL

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chris227NJ View Post
    I have an 02 wrx and the next move i want to make with it is better sound. I currently have a stock, 6 CD changer hooked up to a stock OEM sub. I want to rip out the 6 CD changer, sell it, install a new head unit (for mp3 play back, frontal aux jack for top quality ipod playback, and for looks) and really want a little more bass so my idea is to install a OEM sub under my seat to give my car a little more "BUMP" and a unique audio set up. Now im leaning towards replacing the current OEM sub which only puts out about 100 watts with the Boss 8'' low profile one. thanks for the idea, where should i but that, do i need a new head unit if i put that in. im going to do it in 4 months when im home from college.

amazon.com has the BossAudio sub for $120 shipped. IMO that's much better than paying $180+ for the crappy OEM sub.

You don't have to have a new head unit for any sub, you can buy a signal line converter and splice it into the speaker outputs of any factory radio. Of course this will not provide the highest quality sound, but most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.