New Kenwood headunit
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Kenwood headunit within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; OK here are some installation pics... The headunit as you can see from the first pic is the Kenwood Excelon ...

Cool New Kenwood DNX 8120 Installation and Pics

OK here are some installation pics...
    The headunit as you can see from the first pic is the Kenwood Excelon DNX 8120
    Official page here:
    Kenwood DNX 8120

The rearview camera is the Kenwood CCD-2000

I had to make a template out of some spare plastic hat I had in order to provide a stable mounting point underneath the rear bumper.
    I chose the right side of the license plate to mount it, but I think you can mount it anywhere you want really.

Wiring everything up was fairly straightforward. I provided a few images of the screens... Grounding the parking brake wire works fine and allows you to utilize all the functions of the unit even when you're moving. DVD movies play flawlessly. The unit even comes with 2 additional a/v inputs so you can run a PS2 (or 3?) off of it. It has one additional video out and although I don't have an ipod, it can connect via a USB connection. Also, you can use a second USB port for a flash drive - pictures, movies, songs, whatever. I found that the ideal angle for the screen (given the fairly bright glare from the CA sun) is at -1. If you have tint, you may be able to get away with the 0 angle (pictured with the unit off).

The bluetooth is great and automatically picks up my Centro without problems. I mounted the microphone on the driver's side A Pillar. From tests so far, the quality is great.

Still figuring out a few things, but so far very happy with this purchase. I was able to get in on a preorder, so I got a pretty awesome price for it.

I'm not quite familiar with flickr but here goes also:
    DNX8120 - a set on Flickr
    Last edited by cannibal869; 05-26-2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: fixed pics and retitled
    Chris
    '04 PSM WRX Sedan
    Blobeye Syndicate #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

let me know if you guys have problems seeing the pics... am trying to link to the images on a different forum, since for some reason when I try to attach images you guys are seeing blank pages.

If you're a member of wrxfanatics, the first link should work fine for you. If not, then click on the flickr link.
    Last edited by cannibal869; 05-16-2008 at 02:45 PM.
    Chris
    '04 PSM WRX Sedan
    Blobeye Syndicate #8

it appears you must be a member of the other forum to see the pictures, too much work for me.

EDIT: bottom link worked fine for me, looks good....... Makes me want to add a rearview camera to my AVIC-D3.........didn't know how good and easily it would fit, i thought it involved cutting.

Looks Good!
    Last edited by tron; 05-16-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Wink Figured out how to change background

UPDATE:

Hi guys, I figured out how to change the background screen - there's another thread about how to do this here:
    Kenwood head unit 08 wallpaper - IWSTI.com: Subaru STI Forums

I'm not sure what's ideal, but the wallpaper option resizes them to fit the screen.
    I found out there's an ability to change the startup screen also, but it doesn't resize.
    I called Kenwood and here's the instructions they gave to me:

1. enter setup mode by:
    - holding both SRC+EJECT and while holding it press the RESET button
    - wait for the screen that displays:
    - Kenwood Image
    - OEM image
    2. Connect USB that contains your customized startup screen (480 x 234 pixels (this was taken from another post that I found))
    3. Select OEM Image
    4. Select the file that you wanted to be the start-up screen, hit ENTER
    5. You will be back to the screen described in (1)
    6. Turn OFF unit by holding SRC
    7. Turn ON unit by pressing SRC
    Followed the instructions as I listed above (having to basically reset the whole unit).

As far as what resolution to use, I think the key is actually the proportion of the image. 480x270, 800x450, and 1000x563 all confirmed to work.

I held the SRC and Eject buttons while pressing the reset button and then got back to the main screen. I hooked up my USB key which had only 2 pictures on it at the time. These were the ONLY files on the USB key (I think I read somewhere that if you put more than 3 pics, the USB key won't read??). I pressed SETUP then and went into User Interface. Then as shown in the manual on page 77, I was able to to hit Memory under User Background - this opens up the pictures on the USB key.

You select the image you want to load onto the unit and hit enter. Now the image is loaded onto the 8120. Afterwards then you need to go back to the background change screen and hit "Change" under Background Change. Select the image that you just uploaded and then hit enter again. Now the background image should be changed for you.

You can try turning off the power and then turning the unit back on to see if the image "stuck"...

I'm attaching a few pics here - hope they work. The first two are images I have loaded onto the 8120 as possible backgrounds (source jpegs). The second is what my background initially looked like. I loaded the second one as my current background. The last two images are just eye candy - I managed to burn copies of Transformers and the Matrix onto one DVD so I can now watch both without having to change discs - probably would look crappy on a regular TV but since the screen is so small (relatively speaking), it kind of balances itself out... And yes, I actually do own retail DVDs of both movies

They're part of this set at Flickr
    DNX8120 - a set on Flickr

-Chris
    Last edited by cannibal869; 05-26-2008 at 04:11 PM.
    Chris
    '04 PSM WRX Sedan
    Blobeye Syndicate #8

FYI - I have no idea if this is an approved Kenwood dealer, but for those who are interested, I saw this today:

Deal:
    Kenwood DNX-8120 Navigation/DVD System $1038 at 6ave.com
    Click Here
    Discuss (2) : History : Tell : Posted 3:38 PM PDT 10/3/08 by Ben
    6ave.com has the Kenwood DNX-8120 Navigation/DVD Entertainment System with Built-in Bluetooth for $1498 - coupon code AFLKEN1038 [Exp 10/22] = $1038 with free shipping. [BizRate]

# 6.95" Color Touchscreen Display
    # Built-in Garmin Navigation and Bluetooth Technology
    # Access to iPod Audio/Video with High-speed iPod Control

original link:
    Bens Bargains
    Chris
    '04 PSM WRX Sedan
    Blobeye Syndicate #8

Now that is a nice setup!

I know im bringing this back from the dead but......
    which wire did you attach the "orange" (auto dim) wire to?
    why is your surroung missing a chunk out of it (under the cup holder)? any helpful tips guide to getting this all nice and pretty?

The cutout in the bezel is due to the dual cup holder mod (which I think may still be listed here somewhere). If you still have the OEM single cupholder, don't worry about it.

As for the orange wire, I didn't hook it up to anything I think.
    You can hook it up so that the unit will dim the brightness whenever you have the headlights on. There should be a wire in the harness that lets you do this. I've done the angel/demon eyes headlight mod and am now using that as my daytime running lights (by turning on my parking lights all the time). So I have the unit set to dim automatically with sunset instead (probably through FM data or something).

Sorry I know this sounds kinda jumbled, but it all makes sense in the end.
    Chris
    '04 PSM WRX Sedan
    Blobeye Syndicate #8

Well, since it's already bumped..

Can the 8120 have a custom startup screen? Not the background, but replace the blue kenwood startup splash screen?

I did this on my 5120, it's pretty neat. When starting the car (as long as you didn't shut it off in NAV) it now shows this:

http://polarweasel.org/garage/subaru...Subaru_002.jpg

If you start the car and the unit was going to the garmin nav screen, it skips the startup pic and goes right to the kenwood screen.

I think the info you seek is somewhere in this thread (you may have to register for these boards)

Kenwood head unit 08 wallpaper - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums
    Chris
    '04 PSM WRX Sedan
    Blobeye Syndicate #8

Looks nice. I have a similiar setup with a DDX7019.

Couple things:

- Does your backup cam work when your driving? (I haven't disabled the parking brake feature on my HU)

- I put the GPS and XM antennas underneath the clock dashpanel, with no loss of signal at all. Works great and is invisible...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Looks nice. I have a similiar setup with a DDX7019.

Couple things:

- Does your backup cam work when your driving? (I haven't disabled the parking brake feature on my HU)

- I put the GPS and XM antennas underneath the clock dashpanel, with no loss of signal at all. Works great and is invisible...
    Um, the (switched) power to the backup cam comes from the rear backup lightbulb, so unless that light is on, the camera doesn't work. You could wire it differently but then I'm not quite sure how you would be able to get the headunit to automatically switch to the backup cam when you enter reverse. The unit allows you to manually switch the input to the rear cam, but in my setup, unless the rear backup lightbulb is also on, the input is a black screen.

The parking brake bypass is just grounding out the green wire (if I remember correctly). Very simple to do and SOOOOO worth it. One of the things that I find super annoying in my fiancee's car is not being able to have a passenger enter in a new destination or search for stuff while the car is in motion. I know why the feature is there, but if you have half a brain, the driver shouldn't be touching the screen that much anyway. The front passenger, however is a different story altogether.

Yes, it's been mentioned before that you can put the GPS antenna under the clock dash and it'll work fine. My FM traffic antenna is under there. I don't mind the GPS antenna out in the open like that at all. To each his own.
    Chris
    '04 PSM WRX Sedan
    Blobeye Syndicate #8

On the GPS, I can enter stuff when I'm driving (after I agree to the opening warning message). The DVD won't work unless I ground the green wire (like you mentioned). I tried it for a day, then put it back because 1) I didn't seeing the parking brake light on the dash, and 2) more importantly, I figured I really didn't need to be watching movies while I drive .

In ref to the cam. For some reason I thought it'd be cool to use it to examine the road and traffic behind me, but I guess that doesn't really make sense, lol.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

What do you mean you didn't like seeing the brake light?

Just to be clear, you don't have to ground the parking brake dash light, just the green coming out of the head unit.. it shouldn't have anything at all to do with the parking brake dash light?

I didn't necessarily want to watch dvds while driving, but it was easier to just ground the green rather than look around for the parking brake line lol

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    What do you mean you didn't like seeing the brake light?

Just to be clear, you don't have to ground the parking brake dash light, just the green coming out of the head unit.. it shouldn't have anything at all to do with the parking brake dash light?

I didn't necessarily want to watch dvds while driving, but it was easier to just ground the green rather than look around for the parking brake line lol
    I grounded the parking brake switch instead, which caused the light to come on. But yeah, you could just ground the green line...

There's probably some legal issue with it as well

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.