RAAMmat soundproofing install thread
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on RAAMmat soundproofing install thread within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; My RAAMmat soundproofing stuff showed up today. I ordered it on April 30th, so it came pretty quickly. Kudos to ...

RAAMmat soundproofing install thread

My RAAMmat soundproofing stuff showed up today. I ordered it on April 30th, so it came pretty quickly. Kudos to Ray and crew for fast shipment.

I ordered enough to do a "small car going all out" as stated on the raammat site, which is 2 rolls of mat, 6 yards of foam, and 3 cans of adhesive (see pic). For anyone interested, the shipping weight of all of it was 57 lbs, so I will be adding at most 57 lbs to the car.

I'm planning on doing the full install over Memorial Day weekend. I'll be gutting the interior and doing the doors, floor, roof, trunk, and however much of the firewall I can reach. I've never taken out an entire interior before, wish me luck!

I will be doing a guide with pics for anyone interested in soundproofing their WRX. I'll post that up after the install is done. I'm thinking of doing a word doc or pdf for the guide so that the pictures don't disappear in a couple of years.

I'd really like to do some sort of before and after measurement of sound levels inside the car under various conditions. Anyone have a good (cheap) way of doing this? I don't want to buy any equipment, but I'd like to get some quantitative data on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails out of box small.JPG  
    Last edited by jcaputo; 05-07-2008 at 05:14 PM.
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    Raammat Soundproof Thread
    The Octane Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know you can get decibel readers from RadioShack. I'm not sure how much they are, and you said you didn't want to buy anything. Soooo I've got nothing.

Or you could just return if after...

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Any updates...?
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Sorry for the delay.

I did the install over Memorial Day weekend, just didn't have time to write it up until now. I did it as a pdf to avoid losing pictures over time, but the forum will only let me upload a 293kb file... so I had to reduce the quality on the pictures a ton and break it up into many different pdfs.

Anyone want to let me host this (full file is 4mb)?

Anyway, here it is. Comments welcome.
    Attached Files
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    The Octane Thread

Wow that was a very awesome job and writeup! Thanks for taking the time to document the process and share all the details.

First of all, there is no way possible that you could have made it sound like the interior of a Lexus/BMW, the acoustics of a WRX are way out of league compared to any luxury automobile.

One more thing that you could do which is definitely a crucial step into making everything sound better audio-wise is to toss the crappy factory speakers and upgrade to bigger and better component speakers or just bigger and better door speakers. Also, since you did a thorough job of deadening the trunk, you might consider adding a subwoofer.

I plan on raamating all four of my doors, the trunk, and some in the cabin once I decide which speakers to go with. Your writeup will definitely help me. Thanks for all of your time and effort.

Thanks. I hope it's helpful for anyone looking to soundproof their rex.

I thought about upgrading the speakers at the same time, even went to Best Buy one night while it was all ripped apart. It occured to me that it would be really easy to wire up amps and subs with the interior out. Then I decided I'd leave the factory stuff in because I wanted to see what kind of different just adding the soundproofing would make. That, and my primary focus was not to make the sound system better, but to quiet the interior.

The doors and the trunk are easy to do and easy to get to. You shouldn't have any trouble doing that. Thanks again for the compliments.
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    The Octane Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jcaputo View Post
    Thanks. I hope it's helpful for anyone looking to soundproof their rex.

I thought about upgrading the speakers at the same time, even went to Best Buy one night while it was all ripped apart. It occured to me that it would be really easy to wire up amps and subs with the interior out. Then I decided I'd leave the factory stuff in because I wanted to see what kind of different just adding the soundproofing would make. That, and my primary focus was not to make the sound system better, but to quiet the interior.

The doors and the trunk are easy to do and easy to get to. You shouldn't have any trouble doing that. Thanks again for the compliments.
    No problem. Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to let you know how my install goes. When and if I get to it...

I posted up some long-term impressions here.
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    The Octane Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.