more thump less space...

This is a discussion on more thump less space... within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; ok, so I've had my Eclipse AVN5500 and door speakers for almost 2 years now and think it's time I ...

more thump less space...

ok, so I've had my Eclipse AVN5500 and door speakers for almost 2 years now and think it's time I actually added some thump to the car. I'm not looking for the kind of amp/subs where I share my music with everyone around me, just more than what I have now. However, I don't want to take up any of the already limited trunk space.

I like the idea of the OEM one that fits under the seat. Will this match up with what I have? Will a dealer still install it when I have an aftermarket head unit? Is there a better solution somebody has already come up with?
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    2006 White TR replacement
    1998 V5 Grey STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ArchangelF16 View Post
    ok, so I've had my Eclipse AVN5500 and door speakers for almost 2 years now and think it's time I actually added some thump to the car. I'm not looking for the kind of amp/subs where I share my music with everyone around me, just more than what I have now. However, I don't want to take up any of the already limited trunk space.

I like the idea of the OEM one that fits under the seat. Will this match up with what I have? Will a dealer still install it when I have an aftermarket head unit? Is there a better solution somebody has already come up with?
    Do you have a budget in mind?

eh, not really. I'd rather spend the money on performance parts and get a TBE though. I'm flexible and not particularly strapped for cash (I get promoted in May.) Say <$400

Realistically, though, what are my options and what would they cost?
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    1998 V5 Grey STi

You could get a nice 10" sub and amp for about the same money as the stock "subwoofer". Ive heard the stock one and its not all that good
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I installed the Subi sub under my drivers seat in my 07. Certainly not "thumping" - but it was a good purchase IMO. It adds volume at all levels, but only adds decent bass at the lower levels (when vol is below 30).

It was easy to install, and obviously is plug and play with the OEM stereo (mine is the 2DIN model with 6disc changer).

If I could do it again, I might consider the Kenwood subwoofer that mounts in the same space. I have always thought Kenwood provides good sound for the dollar.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    If I could do it again, I might consider the Kenwood subwoofer that mounts in the same space. I have always thought Kenwood provides good sound for the dollar.
    what kenwood sub are you talking about?

Blob-Eye Syndicate #121 MY04 Stage 1 WRB STi
    Dirty Crew #89 like it dirty? Dirty Thread!
    "0-60 Faster Than Your First Sexual Experience!"
    Gettin Sideways At El Mirage
    The Best Video YouTube's Ever Seen!
    Courtesy of SomeGuy 217 Productions

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    speaking about the OEM optional 08 sub, it has the cross over setting and output settings, so if you set the boost loud enough and the cross over low enough, it can add an okay, tight bass to the bottom end without driving the door mids to the point where they get too boomy.

Since the controls are recessed phillips head screws, it takes some inconvenient fiddling to get the balance just right. But some trial and error gets you there.
    I was blown away to see the adjustment knobs on the sub are mounted toward the transmission, making it impossible to see the knobs while the sub is installed. The design would have been just as easy to have the knobs facing back where you would have full access.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

didn't even know it was adjustable at all. Anybody have that kenwood unit? I'm sure it's better than the OEM one, but how is the fit/finish/install? Price? Pics?
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    1998 V5 Grey STi

best buy

I am looking for more bass so i'm going to be purchasing an aftermarket sub for teh trunk. You are welcome to make an offer at my OEM amp/sub.

04 WRX

94 Integra GSR STOLEN 3/12/08
    RECOVERED!!!