Building my new system this week.
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Building my new system this week. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Pics soon.. Already installed: Alpine 9887 ALP-SIR1 All my other parts arrive this week: Alpine PDX 2.150 (5 shipped) Alpine ...

Building my new system this week.

Pics soon..

Already installed:

Alpine 9887
    ALP-SIR1

All my other parts arrive this week:

Alpine PDX 2.150 ($225 shipped)
    Alpine PDX 1.600 ($275 shipped)
    Alpine Type-R 6.5" coaxials ($99 shipped)
    Audio Integrations WRX hideaway amp rack
    Stinger 4 gauge 1-->2 distribution blocks (X2)
    Stinger 4 gauge fuse holder for battery
    Stinger 4 gauge blue wire per foot (18 feet)
    Stinger 4 gauge clear wire per foot (8 feet)
    4 gauge crimpable ring terminals with 5/16" hole (X4)

Both amps will fit perfectly on the under-tray amp rack and take up virtually no space. The subs will be the last step, I have not made up my mind on them. I will probably go with two JL 10W3 series which I have had great luck with before.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    That is going to be sick.

How are you mounting the amps? Under the seat?

AND PICS!!!!

My location is mentioned in the post. I bought the WRX hideaway amp rack. Both amps will fit on this rack side by side. Check out an example:

2011 VW GTI - K04

Warning to PDX buyers on ebay. Mine didnt come with a serial number or birth sheet. But for whoelsale prices I don't care. I have heard of that before.

The PDX amp is a killer fit on the rack, and two are going to fit perfect.

2011 VW GTI - K04

looks good keep us updated
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

This is the tool you will need to install the amp rack:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...word=drill+bit

The rack uses 1/2" hole mushroom bolts. So you need to enlarge one hole to 1/2" and drill the other one from scratch to 1/2". You cannot use a hole saw; "hole drill bit"; as the existing stock holes are already too big for a drill bit. So I'm going to buy my first "step drill bit". Then I will try getting the rack installed. Once it is installed, then I can start mocking up the amp and placement. I only have one amp so far, waiting for the other one.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Audio Integrations Hideaway amp rack installation

This unit came packed well and looked very nice out of box. The paint is powdercoated and it looked very thick and sturdy. I saw attention to detail with all the bolt bags and instruction sheets carefully attached to the package. It even came with one extra "nut-sert" in case I ruin one I guess. This item was $170 shipped and I had no hesitation. I have built my own amp racks out of MDF for 10 years, and I wanted something very easy and clean this time.

The kit comes with a acrylic template you see in this pic. You just push two of the included bolts into the stock holes to hold it up. The duct tape helps hold it flush while you mark your whole. You can see the tiny hole on the left side of the template. That is the new hole you make.

You then take your "step drill bit" (Sears, $43 including tax ) and you drill out the right most hole in template, and the left most hole. You don't touch the middle template hole. This drill bit was the best tool I've ever experienced. It cut like butter, and has markings in each step so you know the hole size. You can also measure as you go. DO NOT make the hole too big or you are screwed. The drill bit also has a cleanup design, so the hole is super smooth when you're done.

For the new tiny hole on left, you start with small bits and work your way up until The step bit will fit. Once you have drilled out both holes carefully, you then have the two 1/2" holes seen here:

You then place a rubber nutsert into each 1/2" hole. There is a little rubber flange on it so it only goes in one way. It should be a perfect fit if you drilled the right size hole. Then you set up your bolt into the amp rack tab before screwing it in. Bolt, lock washer, metal washer, rubber washer, <amp rack tab>, another rubber washer. Then hold up the rack and very lightly screw the bolt into that rubber insert. Do same for both sides. DO NOT overtighten these rubber inserts. they are mushroom style, and if the nut slips you might be in trouble. I just did them finger tight as this is just a mock up.

You then lift the rack up and mark your next two holes, which hole the other side. It is all the same style with the 1/2" holes needed. Do one hole first, get the rubber in the hole before you mark the 2nd hole. Then, you can attach the nuts completely to the rack to test fit your holes.

I then held up my rack to show that all the holes lined up perfectly.

I took about 30-40 minutes to install this. I took my time and was very careful. If you rush you might drill a bad hole and then you're in trouble. I love the install and the rack, but the hard part will be attaching my amps to the rack and checking all my clearance before I bolt them down. I wanted to put my two distribution blocks on this rack also, but I don't know if I'll have room. That way, I will only need one 4 gauge input for the amp rack instead of two. I won't have my other amp until Saturday.
    Last edited by plac; 02-14-2008 at 11:15 AM.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Well my 2nd amp didn't arrive so I couldn't build my rack today. In the meantime I evaluated where I will run my 4 gauge power wire. I made a video documenting the plan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oEhmTe0oco
    2011 VW GTI - K04

ah bump in the trunk = money pit
    silly peguin. pointless wings are for ricers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy silver View Post
    heard there is an ecu out thats like the hondata but for subbys.

Today, I did more preparation work which will save time later. I attached my 4 gauge distribution blocks and ran my remote amp turn on lead from my deck back to my trunk.

I spent an hour thinking out locations of my distribution blocks. I had the rear seat out and one of the back panels off. I figured the only way they will be useful is if they are on the rack itself. Otherwise I'll have 4 huge 4 gauge wires going to the amp rack. With the blocks on the rack itself, I can assemble before putting it in the car, and only jhave one hookup into each block.

I eventually decided to put them under the amp rack. There is not many places and they are huge. So I staged them here:

Then I got out my 3M double sided tape to attach them. I could not use screws, they would hit the amp.

You think tape won't be strong enough? I lifted the entire rack by it right after I applied it. And those PDX amps are heavy, way heavier than they look.

I then ran my remote turn on all the way down drivers side, that is where my 4 gauge power wire will go also. I tie wrapped every 6 inches for cleanliness. No pics of that, but I can make a video if someone really wants.

Now I wait for my 4 gauge wiring which is supposed to arrive today. If it does, I run my power wire today also. I don't think my other PDX amp will arrive today, it seems to have got delayed.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

My wire sets arrived. All Stinger merchandise. 4 gauge power and ground, 12 gauge for the sub speaker wire, and 16 gauge for the door speaker wire.

I made this short power cable for the battery end first:

Then I ran all the rest. My next post will be a video showing my wire runs.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Banned
    Nice job. Really looks like you know your stuff

Part 2 of the running power wire video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8HEcTzUUZ8
    2011 VW GTI - K04

My two Stinger HPM 4 RCA's arrived today. I will be running them down my passenger side along with speaker wire for the passenger side door. My 36 sq ft of Dynamat Extreme also arrived. I have my Type-R coax from a few days ago. So tomorrow I will run some cable. Then I will start on my door jobs with speaker install and dynamatting. Hopefully the type-R will work in those same Kartboy speakers. My sub amp won't arrive for a full week, so I'll have to try out my front stage once its done. Then I'll remove my rack and add the sub amp later. Just today I was thinking my Type-S coaxials are as loud and clear as I would ever need off deck power. Sometimes I wonder if I should have just got a sub amp..

For other people, I might have gone with the 5 channel PDX next time just for ease of wiring.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Where did you get a set of Type R components speakers for only $99?

I have them in my car and they're amazing. The only problem is that the woofer has so much travel they hit the inside of the door panel on high volumes, so I have to keep them dialed back to prevent damage. I haven't gotten around to trying any fixes but the only thing I could think of is to put a spacer in the bottom of the door panel to hold the door panel away from the actual metal door frame. Otherwise, I'd have to cut out the stock speaker grills on the door, which I may still end up doing.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast