Building my new system this week. - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Building my new system this week. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Thoughts on your voltage test. #1 your car is not running therefore your system is not running at max voltage ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Thoughts on your voltage test. #1 your car is not running therefore your system is not running at max voltage in which your system is rated. Your 4V preouts are most likely rated at 13.7V DC system voltage. If you are at 11.3V, no wonder its running low. Will it accommodate for all the loss? That I dunno.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 03-13-2008 at 10:55 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I also noticed your tester was on Ac voltage mode, Any difference if you switch it to DC setting since you are dealing with a DC system?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I also noticed your tester was on Ac voltage mode, Any difference if you switch it to DC setting since you are dealing with a DC system?
    you are not dealing with DC on RCA preouts. They are sine waves which are A/C. DC shows nothing.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by plac View Post
    you are not dealing with DC on RCA preouts. They are sine waves which are A/C. DC shows nothing.
    Did not know that, thanks.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Did not know that, thanks.
    np, car cd players use a DAC chip. digital to analog converter. CD output is digital. music cant use a digital signal since it is only "on/off" sort of idea. So it converts it to analog signal before leaving the deck.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I Support ClubWRX
    cool. You should try re-running your voltage test with the car on.

What make/model battery are you using, and whats it rated at?

Are you running any capacitors? AFMKT alternator?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

And.... the huge results I have been waiting for, for the last week.

My McIntosh amp IS bad. It is not my tweet. My left side (always been my left side) has a cricket snap crackle pop in the tweet almost always. I heard it all last night on the way home. Last night I swapped my amps speaker wires to the opposite passive crossover boxes. My snap crackle pop is now on my right side tweet. I'm now 100% sure its the amp.

Plans? Well I will send that amp off and spend money to fix it once its out. Its too beautiful cosmetically to get rid of. But I will have my new system up and running by then. I just got a work bonus of a few thou, and I think I will buy another amp. Additionally, I am not thrilled with that Alpine amp, so this would be an all in 1 solution. A 4 channel amp for fronts and sub. One of my top choices is a mint McIntosh 100x4, I just love them. I don't feel a TRU T series would be equal to a McIntosh to my ears. I would love a billet TRU 100x4 but that is WAY too expensive. I would spend $400-$600 for the right amp, depending on how mint it was. This will also cause me to order a new fiberglass bucket for my amp rack, which the company said they can send me. It just bolts on to that MDF carpet piece. I now go to ebay and start looking around. I'd be pissed if I got another broken McIntosh.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Current status:

-McIntosh amp off to repair at McIntosh headquarters in NY. (Amp will be sold once I get it back to offset some costs)
    -JL 10W6v2 sold and gone 2 days ago
    -CDT Classics pulled and for sale

Current setup:

-Alpine 9887
    -Alpine MRD-M605 sub amp
    -sub box removed for now
    -ONLY speakers right now = stock rear doors :lol:

Next stage of plans:

-A new set of Alpine Type-S coaxials arrive tomorrow, those are to tide me over while I work on a new front component set. The new version of type-s suck, so I had to buy last years version. (88dB vs 92dB sensitivity, more RMS handling not suited to deck power, etc..)

-The most expensive amp I have ever had arrives tomorrow. There will be pics tomorrow night hopefully. this amp is a 4 channel amp which will run a front stage and a single sub.

-My ID 10" v3 sub arrives tomorrow. I don't know if this is the "max" or the "q" version, the description doesnt say. But its lower end, handles 400Wrms. I'm hoping to get a bit more output and loudness from it, compared to my W6.

-New amp rack tub ordered for my new amp, can't have one with extra holes showing. Just the fiberglass part, not the carpet part.

This weeks upcoming work:

Remove amp rack from car again. Uninstall Alpine sub amp and prepare for sale. Install new amp on new rack. Install amp rack back in car, wire up. Way for my JL 4 channel RCA's to arrive, they are backordered a couple places currently. My 2 channel JL RCA is killer and I love it. Install my new sub in the Audio Integrations sub box and put back in car. Hook up the sub to one half of my new amp. Run the type-s coaxials off deck power with the amped sub and think about my new component set to order. Strongly aiming to Focal Polyglass as I have heard them, owned them, and I know I love them. It willbe a close fit with a 3/4" spacer, I dont know if they will fit. They are 2.66" depth approximately.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I noticed btw your sub box and amp rack, there is a dis-colored spot, is it dirt of is your trunk leaking water? Also is that box designed for that sub? You many have answered this already were did you get it, how much, And does it stick to the corner of the trunk?

Sorry for all the questions. I def like the setup. still leaves you trunk space. You wanna come to DE, and help me do mine? I'm doing all CROSSFIRE CARAUDIO, other than rear door speakers, but sub, amps, components.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer_X View Post
    I noticed btw your sub box and amp rack, there is a dis-colored spot, is it dirt of is your trunk leaking water? Also is that box designed for that sub? You many have answered this already were did you get it, how much, And does it stick to the corner of the trunk?

Sorry for all the questions. I def like the setup. still leaves you trunk space. You wanna come to DE, and help me do mine? I'm doing all CROSSFIRE CARAUDIO, other than rear door speakers, but sub, amps, components.
    That is simply a dirty carpet from a car with 61,000 miles on it. I have a new carpet on order. It's dirt or grease, not water.

The box isnt designed for a particular sub. It has a volume of about .85-.95 cu ft. It bolts to the trunk floor thru and existing hole. No drilling required.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Anyhow looks great, love the setup, and placement of the component crossovers as well. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer_X View Post
    Anyhow looks great, love the setup, and placement of the component crossovers as well. Thanks.
    oh, you can get the box here:

http://www.audiointegrations.net/PerfectFit.html
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Well, got the final word. McIntosh benched my amp for 5 days straight. Zero issues. They are sending it back.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Pioneer PRS 720s

Got them installed tonight, staying up until 1am. I'll start auditioning tomorrow.. and see if my static issue returns from my previous setup.

Initial impression, very high end set. The tweets are super heavy and the passive boxes are larger than most sets I have seen. The woofers were immense, and I barely fit them with both my 3/4" custom HDPE spacer as well as about a 1/2" one included in the set. The black spacer that the speaker is sitting on comes with the set, and is optional. The tweet magnet is too stong. I set it on my workbench. It pulled tiny screws INTO the dome thru the grill and crushed it.. Luckily... I carefully pulled the screws out and blew on the dome. It popped back out like new. I can already tell how serious these speakers are. I played only one track for 60 seconds at very quiet night volumes. "All by Myself" Celine Dion. The sub sounds were incredible, I dont even have my sub RCA hooked up right now. I am looking forward to really testing them tomorrow. The piano on that song was so light and airy I couldnt believe it, I havent heard it that natural in a long time.

2011 VW GTI - K04

I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice. Wanna loan me some money? Wow high end indeed
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE