Building my new system this week. - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Building my new system this week. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by 06wrx4me No change the LPF on the sub to 30HZ. The "Low Pass filter" filters everything it ...

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    No change the LPF on the sub to 30HZ. The "Low Pass filter" filters everything it is set at and below. So if its set at 30hz, it will filter out 0-30Hz, i.e. these frequencies will not play through your sub.

Leave the Subsonic filter on "off".

If you have the LPF set to 80hz, no wonder why your sub is quiet.
    omg.. im getting more confused with each post..

in my eyes.. i have a HP filter for my front stage. It is called a HP filter on my deck. I have a LP filter for my sub. It is called a LP filter on my deck. The word filter is misleading. My sub crossover is set to 80Hz, so it plays everything from 80Hz and lower as it is set now. We agree on that?
    2011 VW GTI - K04

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by plac View Post
    omg.. im getting more confused with each post..

in my eyes.. i have a HP filter for my front stage. It is called a HP filter on my deck. I have a LP filter for my sub. It is called a LP filter on my deck. The word filter is misleading. My sub crossover is set to 80Hz, so it plays everything from 80Hz and lower as it is set now. We agree on that?
    dude pm me your number.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Low pass means; It filters everything it is set at and below from playing. On a sub, you want the low pass set at the lowest frequency you want to play. In this case you want to play through your sub 30-100hz. So just on your subwoofer you want the low pass set at 30hz.

Do you have a separate subwoofer crossover?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

dude pm me your number.
    ha dude.. its not that big a deal. we're just talking in different languages. i been installing stereos for 15+ years prob like yourself. I understand the concept of setting my sub crossover.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I Support ClubWRX
    ha dude.. its not that big a deal. we're just talking in different languages. i been installing stereos for 15+ years prob like yourself. I understand the concept of setting my sub crossover.
    Oh I have no doubt you know what you are doing just based upon what you bought, was just trying to keep from adding 4 pages of posts to this thread .
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Low pass means; It filters everything it is set at and below from playing. On a sub, you want the low pass set at the lowest frequency you want to play. In this case you want to play through your sub 30-100hz. So just on your subwoofer you want the low pass set at 30hz.

Do you have a separate subwoofer crossover?
    From this page..

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross.asp

Low Pass filters allow low frequencies to pass below a selected crossover frequency. It does not filter everything below that from playing, it allows it. Opposite of what the above says.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I Support ClubWRX
    From this page..

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross.asp

Low Pass filters allow low frequencies to pass below a selected crossover frequency. It does not filter everything below that from playing, it allows it. Opposite of what the above says.

Humm thats kinda misleading as they are speaking in DB with respect to the filter.

In any case an easy way to find out, is to set the LPF at 100hz note change, and set at 30hz and note change. Neither will cause any damage to your sub
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Humm thats kinda misleading as they are speaking in DB with respect to the filter.

In any case an easy way to find out, is to set the LPF at 100hz note change, and set at 30hz and note change. Neither will cause any damage to your sub
    ah thats the way i've read it every manual ive ever read. but its just a different way of looking at it. On every car forum I go to, people set the LP crossover for their sub, which is where the sub starts playing and goes lower from there.

so bottom line.. I know im gonna set my 30Hz sub sonic.. that assumes my 10W6 can't play below 30Hz, otherwise I would want to allow it to. I can try my sub up as high as 100Hz and see if it still sounds decent.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I Support ClubWRX
    ah thats the way i've read it every manual ive ever read. but its just a different way of looking at it. On every car forum I go to, people set the LP crossover for their sub, which is where the sub starts playing and goes lower from there.

so bottom line.. I know im gonna set my 30Hz sub sonic.. that assumes my 10W6 can't play below 30Hz, otherwise I would want to allow it to. I can try my sub up as high as 100Hz and see if it still sounds decent.
    Yeah no matter your nomenclature, you want the sub to play from 30hz-100hz and all else filtered out. 10's like a max of about 100hz and 12's like around 80hz.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yeah no matter your nomenclature, you want the sub to play from 30hz-100hz and all else filtered out.
    cool. ive never played my subs as high as 100Hz, but ill enjoy trying it out.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I Support ClubWRX
    After sub displacment its not nearly as out of range as it seems.
    Driver displacement is .068ft^3

Internal Airspace: .85 -.90 cubic feet
    .782-.832 ft^3 is your net volume.

.625 is recommended.

You've got 25%-33% more than you need.

Also are you running the DVC set at 8 Ohm or 2 Ohm?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Driver displacement is .068ft^3

.782-.832 ft^3 is your net volume.

.625 is recommended.

You've got 25%-33% more than you need.

Also are you running the DVC set at 8 Ohm or 2 Ohm?
    2 ohm of course.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I Support ClubWRX
    2 ohm of course.
    but of course
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Update before bed:

Swapped the passive inputs left to right from my amp. This will determine if its my amp that has the static/noise issue. I am 75% sure now that it is my left tweeter. So I might be buying a new component set soon. (Has to be no deeper than 2.5"..) Tomorrow I find out for sure if its my amp or the speakers.

Raised my McIntosh gains off of minimum. I don't like being able to run my deck all the way up MAX volume, it just doesnt seem right. I don't think I'm getting all my power out of the Mc. I went to 9 o clock on my McIntosh gains, to bring up my power just a little bit.

My sub is still confusing, but it was sounding good on the way home tonight. It has enough sound now, although my Alpine sub amp gain is set for 1.5V. I noticed a very smooth clean bass on my songs tonight. Very rich and thick sounding, I actually liked it.

For the WRX forums.. I fixed all those dash rattles I thought I had, which took hours. Then I found out the noise is probably my tweet in the a pillar. Aw well, future proofing. I didnt have any of those rattles.

Tomorrow:

I might measure my sub RCA voltage to see what kind of volts I'm getting. I dont want to be driving my sub into clipping, its already overpowered with 600Wrms vs the recommended 400Wrms. If I see the RCA is pretty underpowered I won't be as worried about keeping my gains very high.

I might remove the rear deck cover and do my dynamat on it. Maybe cut some extra foam out from the two big holes so it can breathe better. I definitely won't be cutting the top layer at all.

These front speakers just aren't up to par with the rest of my system. But I'll wait until I confirm a bad tweeter before I order some new set.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I expect a lot of people to tell me how untechnical this test is. So if you think it's wrong, do you own test. I would love some more professional testing from people that know what they're doing.

My biggest question.. why with my deck maxed at 35 volume, could my RCA's only manage about 1.5V RCA output voltage? Where does that 4V rated signal magically come in? This explains a lot to me about my weak sub output, and why I had to put my sub amp gains up to 1.5V for it to sound halfway decent.

Watch the video, make the call.

http://74.220.202.31/~bellbott/rcaouts.wmv
    2011 VW GTI - K04