Building my new system this week. - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Building my new system this week. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Glad to heat things are going better for you. Hey I have a question if you don't mind. Did you ...

Banned
    Glad to heat things are going better for you. Hey I have a question if you don't mind. Did you use the stock wiring for your door speakers? I have always had troubles with mine (seems like I learn something new every time).

This time I used the stock wires and instead of using the crimp style connection, I tore apart the crimp part and then used some solder to bond the wire to the crimp connector. Kind of like what is shown here but without the clean look.
    The female connection isn't even the right size though and I would love to know how to do this right instead of doing it half ass(not to mention the 20 times I have pulled the door cards off to fix problems.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no, i didnt use stock speaker wire. I ran 16 gauge to doors and to amp.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plac View Post
    no, i didnt use stock speaker wire. I ran 16 gauge to doors and to amp.
    How did you connect them from the wire to the speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    How did you connect them from the wire to the speaker?
    oh i just used crimps i could trust. but solder op top of that is even more safe. The important thing is to tie wrap the speaker wire to the circle that is near the incoming boot. (If you run fresh wire). Then make sure the speaker wire is along the bottom and goes up to the speaker connections. That way it stays clear of all window movement.

I just put my seats back in. I hope the amp behaves for at least a day or two..
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Banned
    good luck

2011 VW GTI - K04

i have an 05 suby and my 6 disc isnt workin on it.. is there suppose to be 2 harnesses plugged in in the back because there is only one there is another spot to be plugged in with a smaller harness and another small harness that is just chillin but they dont match
    Last edited by quintonius_123; 03-09-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quintonius_123 View Post
    i have an 05 suby and my 6 disc isnt workin on it.. is there suppose to be 2 harnesses plugged in in the back because there is only one there is another spot to be plugged in with a smaller harness and another small harness that is just chillin but they dont match
    What

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    What
    my disc changer isnt workin and im just tryin to figure out why..

Getting ansy as I wait for my sub box to arrive, it ships in a day or two. So I took out my sub to admire it and study it closely.

Last edited by plac; 03-09-2008 at 09:03 PM.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

The CDT passive crossover boxes:

These two pics show my passive crossovers moved from under my front floormats to the back of my amp rack. I used 3M tape again. The tape is so strong I had to use a screwdriver to pry them off the front floor.

My wiring work. I soldered, then shrink wrapped with my heat gun, then double shink wrapped again:

I soldered my crimp connections also. First I lightly crimped, then I soldered for backup:

always confused me.. I always figure the white stripe wire is GROUND. But the large spade here has the white striped wire. I also always assumed the large terminal is the POSITIVE. My speakers came with no paper at all so I have no way to make sure.

And finally.. my new tweet locations. Its not a flawless install, but clean enough for now. The pillars are not flat so you can't get the tweet fully flat. But its barely noticable. I def did not want anything crazy like fiberglassed flush mount, although it would look killer. If I ever sell the car I'll just buy new A-pillars.

The stereo sounds amazing now. It became more magical with this new tweet location, and more evenly distributed it seems. I also checked my clipping on my McIntosh amp using that easy power guard light. I found my exact clipping volume. 25. With my IASCA CD at volume 24, no clipping light. Then right at 25, using my deck remote control, the orange power guard light flickers just barely. Now I have to decide what to do about that. Either never use my deck up to volume 25, or turn the gains down a bit. I like to use 25 as my max deck volume.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I just ordered the Alpine Imprint setup kit, so I can use the 512 band EQ and microphone to automatically make the system almost perfect. Under $200 shipped.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Another problem I had which I didn't really mention.. I pinched my sub RCA earlier in my install. With the big heavy metal bracket on the seat. I pinched almost all the way thru the RCA when I tightened it down, it was caught under the bracket. I know because the second I turned on my stereo, I heard a loud buzz noise that scared the crap out of me. Immediately I removed the seat and knew I had pinched something. It took me a week, and I finally noticed the crushed sub RCA. So my JL RCAs arrive tomorrow, and I will replace all the RCA's just for piece of mind. I have a 4 channel RCA which I will use for everything.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

General update:

I have pretty much confirmed there is something going on with the amp. I didn't hear any static for a couple days, but I heard some on this mornings drive for about 30 seconds. Like real obvious static, couldn't go past volume 15. I have to decide if this amp is worth sending off for a refurbish, or just sell it and try to get my money back (or almost get it back...) If I could have any amp FREE in a perfect world, I would take the TRU TO3 4.150. I would even forgo my nice amp rack for that amp, since it wouldnt fit. I would rather have a TRU on a piece of carpeted MDF. But that's just what I dream about, I am not into spending that kind of money again.

Hello, old friend. I miss you so. I forget who bought my amp back in 2003/2004, but it was someone from EliteCarAudio for $750 shipped.

So my options are get my current amp repaired, or buy a different amp for the system. That would let me send off the bad amp at my own pace and not be missing my system. A single McIntosh 4x100 would be nice, but would be a little weak on the sub half for my 10W6v2. A TRU T series 4x100 might be nice, but maybe not quite the look/sound I am shooting for.

Today, my new JL RCA's arrive. I am getting them just to make absolutely sure its the amp. I have the nice series with a 4 channel set and a 2 channel set. I will be using my 4 channel set for now and saving my 2 channel for a rainy day. I already took out my top line Stinger RCAs. I cut up my sub RCA to see if that crease made any damage. Well, it didnt, the wires were all perfect inside. But I do have my front RCA which I will probably sell locally. I prefer someone to test it before they buy it.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

So.. it was either use my JL grill and have wood showing.. or use the trim ring and have no grill for safety. Obviously I couldnt have wood showing so I had to drop the grill.

I couldnt even hear it.. only one of my RCA cables came today, the one I didn't need.. So now my system has no RCA's but everything else..
    2011 VW GTI - K04

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.