Building my new system this week. - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Building my new system this week. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; i would be worried that i would knock those tweeters off. i just mounter mine in the spot provided in ...

i would be worried that i would knock those tweeters off. i just mounter mine in the spot provided in the doors by the handle....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    i would be worried that i would knock those tweeters off. i just mounter mine in the spot provided in the doors by the handle....
    naw i wont knock em. lot of people put them in the kick panel itself, thats even more risky. The brackets are thick, and dont move at all.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Banned
    I really like the location you chose to put those tweaters. That was a good choise. I need to decide if I still want to keep my car and do some thing like those front speakers you have.

Banned
    Sorry to hear about the amp too bro. That sucks.

How did the dynomat help the over all comfort of the car? Is it like night and day?

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    I really like the location you chose to put those tweaters. That was a good choise. I need to decide if I still want to keep my car and do some thing like those front speakers you have.
    thanks. You can't even see the brackets when you're sitting in the seats. You can aim them to roof, straight back to rear, at each other, or you can aim them at the opposite seats head area. The possibilities are infinite, and they stay close to the mids for good phasing. and they're high enough up where legs aren't going to block them.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Sorry to hear about the amp too bro. That sucks.

How did the dynomat help the over all comfort of the car? Is it like night and day?
    Ah I have a few possiblities for the amp. I will probably get it repaired as its just too nice to not put on display. I will be making a video to show its problem tonight. I hope I can duplicate the issue with the amp sitting on my back seat.

The dynamat difference was not night and day, but it was very noticable. Its' still a loud car, but maybe only half as loud now.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plac View Post
    thanks. You can't even see the brackets when you're sitting in the seats. You can aim them to roof, straight back to rear, at each other, or you can aim them at the opposite seats head area. The possibilities are infinite, and they stay close to the mids for good phasing. and they're high enough up where legs aren't going to block them.
    I like the whole "I didn't have to drill holes in my interior" look you got going on. It's sweet

I like the whole "I didn't have to drill holes in my interior" look you got going on. It's sweet
    I always feel like im tallking with Paul Walker when im reading your posts.. is it something to do with that pic?
    2011 VW GTI - K04

i cant wait

Hmm... I can't reproduce the noise..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6HUoehk0FU
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I really liked the sound quality that was produced with the speakers and amp...very impressive just for a video..almost felt like i was there with you.

I reinstalled the amp in the amp rack.. and the noise is BACK!! I'll have another video later proving it.

The only difference? The amp is upright instead of sitting flat?? All the exact same connections were used.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Thats weird that it wont do it just sitting there unmounted but when you put it back on the amp rack it starts, the only thing i could think of is that the amp rack is picking up some sort of frequecy from the cars chasis? Try grounding the amp rack is self and see if it goes away, just a thought.

I'm also having ****ty luck with my stereo system lol i just blew my old earthquake D2 lastnight, i loved that amp. now i have to get it repaired

Do you hit up any meets around here? or know of some clubs for scoobies?
    07 WRX TR
    | APS CAI | APS TMIC | SPT Short Throw Shifter | SRs 3" DP + Greedy EVO 2 CB | Blouch DOM 3.0R | Deatchwerks 750's | Walbro FP | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Up Pipe | Perrin EBCS | Prodrive Springs | 1-4 Helical PPG's | Pro Tuned by Mike @ GSTMotorsports 319 whp / 317 wtq @ 20 PSI |

Quote Originally Posted by 07wrx4life View Post
    Thats weird that it wont do it just sitting there unmounted but when you put it back on the amp rack it starts, the only thing i could think of is that the amp rack is picking up some sort of frequecy from the cars chasis? Try grounding the amp rack is self and see if it goes away, just a thought.

I'm also having ****ty luck with my stereo system lol i just blew my old earthquake D2 lastnight, i loved that amp. now i have to get it repaired

Do you hit up any meets around here? or know of some clubs for scoobies?

the amp rack is fiberglass, so theres no way to ground it anyway.

i think its probably a cold solder joint at the RCA inputs, but im gonna be testing today. I'll have my video camera with me on every drive in case the noise happens again.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

SO stoked so far.. The amp has not made a noise all day, so I'm going to close everything up for now. If it makes a noise again I'll play with the RCA input connection a bit to see if thats the issue.

On to my experience today:

The McIntosh MC427
    The amp totally blew me away. It was far louder than I ever expected. The gains are probably half way (I know, way too high), and I can go to Alpine 9887 volume of 25 with crystal clarity. I took it to 30 with crystal clarity also. At 30, it is way too loud like a club, and has to be bad for my ears. I will probably trim down the gains next to get a bit more comfortable.

Crossover setting for front stage on Alpine deck: 80Hz HP with 18dB slope. All amp controls are disabled/off

The CDT Classics with upgraded DW25 tweets
    Mixed feelings about these, although I have done NO tuning yet. All EQ is OFF right now. The vocals, midrange is fantastic. They dont have huge bass, but thats why I'll be adding the 10W6 sub in a few days. They were plenty clean down to 80Hz with no rattles or distortion. The tweets are a different story, they don't sound good at all so far. First off, my aiming is terrible. Having the tweets aim at the opposite persons head is way too bright and harsh. (I have my passive crossovers set flat with no attenuation yet, I can go -3dB jumper later if I want to). I like the tweet location a lot if I can aim them somewhere to sound good. I was thinking of trying to aim them at each other next.

Overall impression
    I realize this will take tons of tuning to get it halfway decent. I will probably buy that IMPRINT kit soon enough. I already spent over $2000, so whats another couple hundred to have it tuned correctly automatically. I will be finding my IASCA CD deep in storage that Dingaling gave me 6 years ago. I need to start auditioning real sound quality to get a better idea of the system. I know its too early to say this, but now I'm thinking the CDT classic may not be enough speaker for that sweet McIntosh amp.
    2011 VW GTI - K04