Building my new system this week. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Building my new system this week. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by Thug Nasty Few Q's: How much was that dynomat pack? How thick is the dynomat? That looks ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thug Nasty View Post
    Few Q's:
    How much was that dynomat pack?
    How thick is the dynomat?

That looks like an awesome build. Keep us updated.
    The Dynamt Extreme bulk pack was like $80 on ebay, but $35 shipping or so. Retails for almsot $300, so why not..

I now have a trunk kit coming tomorrow, with 3-4 more sheets. It ran about $40.

No idea how thick it is. But I had razor cuts all over my hands for a few days after installing it. And two deep red blisters from cutting.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well I put the Type-S back in today and changed back to deck power. I auditioned left speaker Type-R off 150Wrms vs left speaker type-s off 18Wrms. There was NO difference in volume level that I could tell. Putting my head in the middle of my car as a rough test, both seemed exactly the same volume.

Upon remembering all the tuning headaches that come when you start getting into a higher end system, I think I am staying like this now. It was plenty loud enough for me off deck power on the type-S coaxials. I do have stock 4" mids in rear doors which provide a little fill which really helps. (no tweets in rear).

So I think I have a different setup in mind now. I will be using my Alpine amp for my sub running 300Wrms. I will be going from a 10W6 to a 10W3 to better suit my amps power. I prefer a mono amp for subwoofers, but I don't want to lose money selling my PDX 2.150. I have always said I am not into huge crazy systems like I used to be, and I guess I forgot for a few weeks. I prefer a simple, yet nice clear system, which is what I hear now.

For my history and reference, I have had Focal Polyglass, Focal K2P, and two sets of Dynaudio 240GT. I am not a stranger to high quality. I also tried McIntosh, Brax, and TRU TO3 amps in my prime. I spent years on mostly Elite Car Audio and have read it all a thousand times. Still, I do enjoy reading about this stuff and learning from peoples experiences.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I am building a different "better" system now. I won a McIntosh amp on ebay yesterday which will be running my front stage. I also got my 10W6v2 sub today which will be for my install later. I ordered CDT classic components tonight because they were on closeout. I have been reading about those components for years on car audio forums. The hard part will be making some nice amp rack display design for that amp.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

where did you get that rack for the amp??? and how much better does the dynamat make it sound? does it get rid of most the rattles?

Banned
    this thread is inspirational.
    Last edited by Not-EWRX; 03-07-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    where did you get that rack for the amp??? and how much better does the dynamat make it sound? does it get rid of most the rattles?
    Well this is my "old" system thread, but the rack was from Audio Integrations. Same place I got my higher end rack. The dynamat made a large difference, since the WRX is very loud to begin with. I didn't really have any rattles to begin with and I still don't. But my sub isn't in yet....
    2011 VW GTI - K04

ohhh yeah i have one 12, and there is plenty of rattles when i crank it up. although i do realize it is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    ohhh yeah i have one 12, and there is plenty of rattles when i crank it up. although i do realize it is inevitable.
    I'm worried about how loud my sub will be. That fiberglass amp rack will be blocking a LOT of sound from the trunk. I will have 600Wrms going to my sub, I hope it can make it thru.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Quote Originally Posted by plac View Post
    I'm worried about how loud my sub will be. That fiberglass amp rack will be blocking a LOT of sound from the trunk. I will have 600Wrms going to my sub, I hope it can make it thru.

I dont think your sub will be that loud but it is a W6 so it should kick pretty good. My 12" MTX 9500 with 1300 RMS to it freakin knocks, my trunk rattles like crazy, only on really low notes so thats good

where do you live in the bay? I'm in San Mateo close to hwy 92

I really need to re route my wires to clean up the trunk a little. You cant seen any of the wires but i know how they are behind the box so it bothers me I got the Pioneer AVIC-D3 all cleaned up and nice inside the dash but i slacked on the wires lol cuz i really wanted to here this sub hit!
    07 WRX TR
    | APS CAI | APS TMIC | SPT Short Throw Shifter | SRs 3" DP + Greedy EVO 2 CB | Blouch DOM 3.0R | Deatchwerks 750's | Walbro FP | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Up Pipe | Perrin EBCS | Prodrive Springs | 1-4 Helical PPG's | Pro Tuned by Mike @ GSTMotorsports 319 whp / 317 wtq @ 20 PSI |

Quote Originally Posted by 07wrx4life View Post
    I dont think your sub will be that loud but it is a W6 so it should kick pretty good. My 12" MTX 9500 with 1300 RMS to it freakin knocks, my trunk rattles like crazy, only on really low notes so thats good

where do you live in the bay? I'm in San Mateo close to hwy 92

I really need to re route my wires to clean up the trunk a little. You cant seen any of the wires but i know how they are behind the box so it bothers me I got the Pioneer AVIC-D3 all cleaned up and nice inside the dash but i slacked on the wires lol cuz i really wanted to here this sub hit!
    I'm in San Mateo at Hillsdale.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

LOL sick i didnt know anyone on these forums that was this close to me haha

need any help workin on your car lol, im just going to spend my day tomorrow doing some little mods to my car such as leak testing my intake system, doing the unlock all doors in one click mod and maybe a few others if i can find some more lol
    07 WRX TR
    | APS CAI | APS TMIC | SPT Short Throw Shifter | SRs 3" DP + Greedy EVO 2 CB | Blouch DOM 3.0R | Deatchwerks 750's | Walbro FP | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Up Pipe | Perrin EBCS | Prodrive Springs | 1-4 Helical PPG's | Pro Tuned by Mike @ GSTMotorsports 319 whp / 317 wtq @ 20 PSI |

Got my speakers installed. Stayed up 5 hours after work to get it done. Got the tweets in a perfect location. I'll have pics later.

But I have a problem...

My left door has a weird problem. A rough staticy fuzzy sound. Hear plenty of music, but its not as clean as the other side at ALL. My first and best outcome might be a bad RCA. (I had some weird RCA results when I got them too..) The next worse could be a bad speaker? And the worst of all, a bad channel on the McIntosh. None seem likely, so I will try the RCA first. I was getting confused on how to see if its that one side of the RCA. Could I just switch the RCAs at the amp only? Or would I have to switch the RCAs at the deck also? I'm too tired to think it out, hopefully someone has some hints tomorrow.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I am 99% sure the McIntosh amp is faulty.

I tested a few ways:

RCA test:
    Put in brand new RCAs for my front, same exact noise.
    It's not the RCA.

Speaker test:
    Swapped CDT woofer door to door, still had noise in same door.
    Even bypassed that doors crossover and put direct input into the speaker, same noise.
    Its not the speakers or the passive crossover box.

Deck test:
    Moved my RCAs from front to rear output. Same noise on rear output.
    It's not the deck.

Its the dream amp I got. I almost cried like a baby. I give up now. At least I only paid $325 for it. It is loud static on one channel when you run it at 20-25 Alpine volume. It seems the mostly likely also, because every other piece was bought brand new. Now I've ruined my amp rack with holes for an amp that doesnt work. I might go back to coaxials and just run that sub amp. There are no other amps I want right now in that same footprint, and definietly not an Alpine PDX. I'm very sad.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

anyway... here is the work I did on my CDT speaker install. Stayed up until 2am last night just to hear them..

This is the strapping I used for my tweeter install:

This is a CDT CL60? mid mounted in my door. I had to enlarge my cutout just a tiny bit, these are big. But depth was not an issue, these are shallower than Alpine Type-R coax. Still using the 3/4" custom HDPE spacer. Oh I had to drop my mounting bolts under the flush surface or the speaker would sit on them. I used a large drill bit to angle the 3 main bolt holes.

This is my tweet install on right side. Rather proud of the design, since I didnt have to cut anything. This is close to the kick panel, and the bracket is very strong. I can bend them any direction I want to play with all kinds of imaging.

Here is the screw I used to mount the bracket:

Here is the passive box which I 3M taped to the floor. It gets in a way a bit, but overall I don't mind the area:

This is my drivers side tweet. It is in basically the same place as the other one:

And finally, the bolt I used to attach the drivers side tweet bracket. One of the hood handle bolts:

As you know, my amp is broke, so I never even got to hear them..
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Well, I stepped away and thought about my plans a bit. I have too much invested to rip it all out now. Especially with my 4 hour front speaker install last night. I am going to go active. I am doing this because it is the best use for my matching amp I will order. This will also do away with the passive crossover boxes which get in my way under the carpet. I already ordered new JL RCA cables cuz I just can't trust these anymore with all these issues. I have a 17' 4 channel set and a 17' 2 channel set. I will have the RCA's and speaker wire laid out to the trunk before the new amp arrives. My only concern is blowing the CDT tweeter with 75Wrms. I know the Alpine 3 way outputs are a bit weird:

Front: mids
    Rear: tweets
    Sub: sub

That is opposite of what I would have thought, I guess thats how people blow their tweets if they dont research carefully.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.