Building my new system this week. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Building my new system this week. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; when did i ever say i got type-r components?...

when did i ever say i got type-r components?
    2011 VW GTI - K04

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by plac View Post
    Alpine Type-R 6.5" coaxials ($99 shipped)
    Quote Originally Posted by plac View Post
    when did i ever say i got type-r components?
    Sorry I misread your post.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

ya the coax were about $75 on ebay. They look surprisingly good for coax.

I am installing my amp rack now. It will be a week until my sub amp arrives and im tired of waiting.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Now I give you lots of advice from my mistakes on this amp rack.

First set of pics show the amp installed, and all wiring installed:

I swung the rack up to bolt in the rear bolts. I then saw the amp hitting the edge as seen in the pics:

I then drilled a second set of holes backward maybe 1/2" to try again:

I had cleaned up my wiring more each time I took it out:

Unfortunately... the amp STILL hit in the same place when I used the holes that were further back. (Towards front of car). I then had to drill a THIRD set of holes:

Those holes finally worked, and the amp now has plenty of clearance. The instructions did say mount it as far back as possible, but I thought I had test fit it and didnt see any issues eariler.

Got everything complete, and this is the final rack setup. The wires and crap on the bottom isn't nice to look at, but at least everything is out of the way and doesn't take up any trunk space.

2011 VW GTI - K04

Hey,

Just wanted to give a nod for those videos, very helpful! Also just wanted to give some props for the extremely clean install, very well done when you plan ahead and take your time.

Great job so far!

--Chris
    2007 WRX Wagon Limited OBP
    Stock until the warranty ends!

I made a video of my dynamat door but that is on hold..

I found out today that Alpine Type-R coax with Kartboy spacers will NOT work in the door. The window hits them just barely and moves the metal panel. Now I'll have to add a 1/4" cutting board which will be easily enough clearance. I tried dynmat on each side of spacer first, it didn't make any difference. I'm not putting this back together half assed so now I have to work on this for a while.

Tomorrow I go looking for a 1/4" cutting board, I will need two, one for each door. I will just trace the Kartboy template and it should be easy to make. I might try Lowes, Target, Safeway, and who knows where else. Doesn't have to be anything special, but I don't want 1/2" thick which most are. I only need like 2mm clearance, so I want to keep it to a 1/2" Kartboy and a 1/4" custom. There will be dynamat between each piece of the setup. Also, I cannot use the cheap plastic screw holes that hold the stock speaker anymore. They are not strong enough to screw tight for all these spacers. So I will buy slightly longer nuts and bolts and attach the template that way. Then I'll hold up the speaker and screw it in.
    Last edited by plac; 02-21-2008 at 01:09 PM.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Finished my passenegr door. Used custom 3/4" adapters I made.

BUT... one of my new Stinger RCA from ebay is bad! One channel is dead. Took me forever to figure it out. I think I got them from bagboy on ebay (Darvex), and I threw away the wrappers days ago. Wasted $45 on that RCA and then its broke out of box. I'm gonna buy a $20 RCA now, I don't care anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1EinCUX5ik
    Last edited by plac; 02-22-2008 at 12:10 PM.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

I swapped my RCA left/right to use my working side RCA on the new door installation. It sounds amazing, even with only one amplified speaker. (And 3 speakers off deck power). It is crystal clear crossed over at 80Hz HP with a 18dB slope. I tried 60Hz/24dB and didn't like it as much. I heard no buzz or vibration even with my lightly dampened doors. I can't wait to hear double that power once my other door is done. My Alpine amp gain is 1/2 way currently. I might lower it to 2/3 once I get started tuning. The amp speaker is so loud I can barely hear any of the other 3 which has 22Wrms each.

Which brings me to my subwoofer.. After hearing one half of my front stage, I am already deciding against dual 10's. Mostly because I didn't want to use up that much space. I think a 10" Type-R with 600Wrms would fill the voids nicely. If I put a dual 10" box in there 1/2 my trunk is gone. I am eyeballing the Audio Integrations custom box to match my amp rack, but it's a bit pricey. I can't make my final decision until both doors are up and running and I do some tuning.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Banned
    Sounds like all is well I'll have to come to you for all my adio advice. There isn't too many guys on here that are into a good system. To me it is more important than how the car drives because at the end of the day that is what makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Sounds like all is well I'll have to come to you for all my adio advice. There isn't too many guys on here that are into a good system. To me it is more important than how the car drives because at the end of the day that is what makes me happy.
    well ya me too. I did all the power mods first. Its perfect as far as speed now. So I am adding tunes to complete an awesome package.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

While waiting for my sub amp I used the rest of my dynamat. FYI, the bulk Dynamat Extreme pack (36 sq ft) will cover 2 front doors and almost all the trunk. At least it did for me..

2011 VW GTI - K04

sorry if this question has already been answered, but where can I get one of thoes amp racks?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesac View Post
    sorry if this question has already been answered, but where can I get one of thoes amp racks?
    http://www.audiointegrations.citymax...ge/3182186.htm
    2011 VW GTI - K04

pics of my two dynamatted doors while I had my panels off today:

2011 VW GTI - K04

Few Q's:
    How much was that dynomat pack?
    How thick is the dynomat?

That looks like an awesome build. Keep us updated.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.