What size sub would you get? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on What size sub would you get? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by Ying It's definitely in the door speakers, I agree with that. It's just that the speaker's have ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    It's definitely in the door speakers, I agree with that. It's just that the speaker's have to be larger than stock to make up the difference between that gap and a 15"

To all of you, thanks. JL was definitely the brand I was gunning for, it was really a matter of size at this point. Think I'm goin with a 10.
    Im usually a 10 guy but in the JL lineup, I prefer the 12 w3. Sounds awesome, doesnt require a ton of power.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I gots me two JL-W3's 10''s in the trunk. For my purposes of listening to trance, they have a short throw and bump the bass real well.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Ex audiofile hear, used to build comp systems......Its not worth your hearing. Trust me I know, I have a bad frequency drop off and as such my ears will never be insured through my work.

Sell it and make the car faster.
    +gospel

I used to work at Circuit City - had a great discount and put roughly 6k into my Jeeps audio system... I now have 75&#37; hearing in my left ear.

Don't slow your car down, focus on performance.

But if you absolutely must do it - JL Audio 12w3 in a properly sized sealed enclosure - sounds amazing.
    Last edited by Micah; 01-21-2008 at 10:00 PM.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Yeah, I think people forget what music is SUPPOSED to sound like in the process of pursuing LOUD.

Micah, are/were you in the military? I'd blame the hearing loss on some 105 shells and claim it on some compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    +gospel

I used to work at Circuit City - had a great discount and put roughly 6k into my Jeeps audio system... I now have 75% hearing in my left ear.

Don't slow your car down, focus on performance.

But if you absolutely must do it - JL Audio 12w3 in a properly sized sealed enclosure - sounds amazing.

i just bought a JL 12" W7 today it came with the box already (presized for best sound) and i got a problem with fitment im about a 1/2" to tall any ideas.looks like i gotta take the back seat out to get it in the trunk due to angles and **** not allowing it to fit.

any suggestions for removing the back seat to get into the truck i gonna attempt to install this mother on sunday.i gotta get some help the damn sub by itself weighs in at 70 something lbs.

Registered User hairlesswookiee's Avatar
    im gonna put 2 10s in the back when it arrives. i just hope they wont take up too much space in the trunk.
    “Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.”
    http://www.myspace.com/ezcompane
    "The system requirements said Windows 95 or better... So I bought a Mac."
    My List of Toys: Samsung 50" DLP, 360 Elite, PS3 250GB, Blackbook (2.2,4gb,200gb 7200rpm), 8gb Iphone, 60gb Ipod.
    PSN & Live: ezcompane

24" yo
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

i am looking for TIGHT bass, not boomy. I guess this has to do more with the enclosure than the actual speaker. But all factors being equal, will the W7 speaker be better than the W6v2 in this regard? I suppose 2 10inchers would be better than a 12 incher as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bwanaaa View Post
    i am looking for TIGHT bass, not boomy. I guess this has to do more with the enclosure than the actual speaker. But all factors being equal, will the W7 speaker be better than the W6v2 in this regard? I suppose 2 10inchers would be better than a 12 incher as well.

I had a 10W7. Hated it. You do not want a W7 series for super tight bass. I also had 10W3v2, 12W3v2, and 10W0's. I always liked the 10W3v2's the best. Two 10 inchers will seem a lot louder than one 12" off the same wattage because they will move more air.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

i think the enclosure makes a difference. i couldnt fit the W7 in the car with the box it came with so i went to JL website and used there specs and built a box myself and just got it wrapped in blue and black suede (hopefully i can get some pix this weekend and post).but anyways right now its kinda "boomy" because i need some set/test tones to adjust my amp output.but besides that im real happy and my box is ported by the way.

anyone know where i can get some set/test tones? JL said set the amp using the 50hz tone, but no one around here (VA) know wtf im talking about.
    06' STI - blue on silver
    *stage 2 via cobb TBE & AP / perrin turbo inlet
    *perrin LW crank pully / SPT intake
    *kartboy pitch stop
    **kenwood dvd #DDX6019
    **JL 1000/1v2 amp / JL W7 12"

1 12inch kicker comp vr pushing maybe 600 watts....sound great.
    Quote Originally Posted by STiBOi View Post
    Could it still be considered a sex toy if you get off from driving it?

In my opinion it really depends on how much your wanting to spend, you can get 10's and throw less watts at them and they will sound amazing, where if you want the sound and want to spend the money you can buy 12's, throw more watts at them and they will sound better. At least in my experience 12's are better if you have the AMP to power them correctly, 10's will sound much better on a budget. Don't get 12' subs and a cheap amp or an amp that can't power them, to there full potential, instead you can buy nice 10's and a decent amp and it will sound excellent.
    ---2007 Subaru WRX STI: Blue, Lightly Modded!---My Cardomain

i have a 12 in solo barack pussing 975 watts sounds amazing i made my own box it hts hard and has lots of bass and i can still hear the words comming from the stock spearkers

I Support ClubWRX
    So I finally pulled the trigger on a new sub. Ended up with a 10" Memphis M3 and the Memphis ported box built for that sub. Couldn't be happier. I was really having doubts when I was staring at this tiny box while the shop was running the wires, but was totally suprised after it was in and pumping.

Getting the 10 over a 12 really closed the frequency gaps between the door speakers and the sub. There's really only a small portion of the higher low end that's being missed by the sub and quietly picked up by the door speakers. I can live with that. Just thought I'd close the loop to the beginning of the thread. Thanks to all for the advice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.