Unhappy with the 08 Stereo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Unhappy with the 08 Stereo within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; After posting in two other locations in this forum, it was recommended that I try here. Now that I've bought ...

Unhappy with the 08 Stereo

After posting in two other locations in this forum, it was recommended that I try here.

Now that I've bought a 2008 WRX, 4D with Premium package, I'm not happy with the sound system. The stock Premium sound packages in my Passat and my wife's RAV4 sound MUCH better. Is there anyone recommended in the Gaithersburg area who could tweak my system (new speakers? amp?) to give me around the same quality sound as I'm used to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Gaithersburg MD?
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have the 07 premium (they called it limited in 07) and I agree... I am planning on buying the subaru subwoofer (mounts under the passenger seat). Some people have told me that will make it sound much better.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Gaithersburg MD?
    Sorry, I should have been more specific - Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I have the 07 premium (they called it limited in 07) and I agree... I am planning on buying the subaru subwoofer (mounts under the passenger seat). Some people have told me that will make it sound much better.

I'll look into that, but I'd like to have some confidence that it will make the difference before spending the money.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    The sub will help tremendously but... IMHO the Subaru "Premium" sound system in my WRX was barely "adequate". In my STi I went complete after market and was much much happier for less money.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

One of my buddies had the Subaru sub, and honestly I couldn't tell the difference between that and when a stock system. I ended up putting a 12" in my trunk and have been quite satisfied with it!
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Same boat: I have the '08 with premium and navi and the sound system is sub par. The sub is mounted under the driver seat which is cool because it's out of sight and doesn't take any trunk space, but I can hardly feel the rumble in my butt (let's not make a joke of that phrase ) and that's bad news when it's right under me. I'd like to upgrade the speakers in the doors but as far as the sub problem goes, maybe another similar sub under the passenger seat? It might give me the vibe I'm lookin' for without destroying that stock, clean look I'm tryin' to uphold.

i just put 2 12'' alpine type E subs in my trunk with an alpine mrp-450 amp. I am quite happy with the result, and the two subs, enclosure, and amp ran me $400. it was a package deal at best buy

i would suggest at the very least to upgrade your head unit. that alone will make your factory speakers sound better.

The key to getting louder low tones is volume. You're never going to get anything quite 'butt rumbling' with a speaker with that small of a circumference, and such a small casing. Subs use the volume of the box to act like a resonator and increase the amplitude of the low tones.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I hate to tell you but any decent aftermarket stereo and speakers will sound sooo much better (and be waaaay louder if you want) than any 'premium' factory unit.

There is just no comparison. If you have about $500, you can get a really decent setup.

Quote Originally Posted by GiZZ054 View Post
    i just put 2 12'' alpine type E subs in my trunk with an alpine mrp-450 amp. I am quite happy with the result, and the two subs, enclosure, and amp ran me $400. it was a package deal at best buy

i would suggest at the very least to upgrade your head unit. that alone will make your factory speakers sound better.
    I'll keep an eye out for deals at CC and BB, and keep looking around. As for replacing the head unit, doing that may cost me use of the steering wheel controls and use of the auxillary input, both of which I wish to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by STiDriven View Post
    I hate to tell you but any decent aftermarket stereo and speakers will sound sooo much better (and be waaaay louder if you want) than any 'premium' factory unit.

There is just no comparison. If you have about $500, you can get a really decent setup.
    I'm not an audiophile, and not looking for a great system. The factory premium sound systems in my Passat (Monsoon) and RAV4 (JBL) sounded fine to me. I will be depositing the checks from the sale of my Passat this morning. As I got $2000 over the offer from CarMax, I've got some money to play with to improve the sound system and buy a decent GPS (looking at the Garmin 680, Garmin 720, or the Tom Tom 920).

I Support ClubWRX
    I just ordered my subwoofer... I will update the post when I have it installed.

I Support ClubWRX
    it shipped today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast