is this a good set up? (speakers)

This is a discussion on is this a good set up? (speakers) within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Alpine MRP-M450 Amp with two Type E 12inch subs with 750W peak power each. I'm trying to decide whether to ...

is this a good set up? (speakers)

Alpine MRP-M450 Amp with two Type E 12inch subs with 750W peak power each.

I'm trying to decide whether to use two subs or just power one. From what I heard, one sub sounds better on this amp. I'm not sure, so I'm asking If I use both subs, I'm concerned that I wont have much power left over to help power the component speakers I have in the front.

Any insight would be appreciated, I don't know much about car audio.

Merry Christmas

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GiZZ054 View Post
    Alpine MRP-M450 Amp with two Type E 12inch subs with 750W peak power each.

I'm trying to decide whether to use two subs or just power one. From what I heard, one sub sounds better on this amp. I'm not sure, so I'm asking If I use both subs, I'm concerned that I wont have much power left over to help power the component speakers I have in the front.

Any insight would be appreciated, I don't know much about car audio.

Merry Christmas
    whatever you do be sure you Match RMS power on the amp to RMS power on the sub
    and be sure your voice coils are compatible with the setup your using

OHMS
    RMS WATTS
    THey all need to match up
    Personally I would reco a Kicker L5 or l7 sub
    one 12" with one amp
    no need for more bass than that, it will rattle your car to pieces
    good lucky

Alpine MRP-M450
    Mono subwoofer amplifier
    400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

Alpine SWE-1242
    Type-E 12" 4-ohm subwoofer
    power range: 50-250 watts RMS

Two subs actually works out well. Wire two in parallel for a 2 ohm final load to amp. Then the amp will put 200Wrms into each sub which is just right for its power range. I say two idential subs @ 400Wrms compared to one same sub @ 400Wrms, the duals will be way louder. Simply surface area and the ability to move air. I reid many single JL subs in the day, and always ended up going to dual subs which sounded much thicker.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

thanks for the replies..

to the second poster, you do not think 2 subs will be overkill?
    say I go 200wrms in each sub, I won't have any extra for the component speakers, correct?

thanks for the replies..

to the second poster, you do not think 2 subs will be overkill?
    say I go 200wrms in each sub, I won't have any extra for the component speakers, correct?
    You couldnt use any for components anyway.. thats a mono amp.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Quote Originally Posted by plac View Post
    You couldnt use any for components anyway.. thats a mono amp.
    wow I feel retarded. so do you need one channel per one sub if you get a multi channel amp?

wow I feel retarded. so do you need one channel per one sub if you get a multi channel amp?
    you can do any of the following.

-buy a 4 channel amp AND a mono sub amp.

-buy a 5 channel amp where the 5th channel is for a sub

-buy a 4 channel amp and only amp your front doors, then bridge the other 2 channels for a sub. But bridging a stereo amp you can only go down to 4 ohm load in most cases, not 2 ohm.

Lot of people run the rear doors off deck power because they don't really matter. If you really get technical they ruin your entire sound stage, but 90% of people here don't care about it to that level of detail.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Quote Originally Posted by plac View Post
    you can do any of the following.

-buy a 4 channel amp AND a mono sub amp.

-buy a 5 channel amp where the 5th channel is for a sub

-buy a 4 channel amp and only amp your front doors, then bridge the other 2 channels for a sub. But bridging a stereo amp you can only go down to 4 ohm load in most cases, not 2 ohm.

Lot of people run the rear doors off deck power because they don't really matter. If you really get technical they ruin your entire sound stage, but 90% of people here don't care about it to that level of detail.
    ok that makes perfect sense. thanks much

My personal examples:

I use to run this 4 x 150Wrms TRU technologies amp powering focal K2P Kevlars in front doors, and a pair of JL 10W3 subs in trunk. That sub setup was my favorite of all I tried.

I had to use multi-layer MDF adapters to fit those monsters in my 2002 Nissan Spec-V front doors:

This is when I ran a high end Brax for my 4 doors for ultimate quality, then ran the small Alpine mono amp beside it to run my subs.

The sweet thing about that Alpine sub amp was the remote module you could put in your dash. Full control over every amp setting.

Another time I used two PPI amps for the same idea. One amp ran the front stage, and one amp ran the subs. I can't remember which amp did which anymore.

I also did a combo of the large PPI amp running only my front doors, and then the Alpine mono amp running a small sub:

I also ran Alpine amps in the same fashion, the big amp ran my front doors, and the same sub amp yet again ran my sub.

(I wish Alpine still made green decks like this 9811)

This is the first 5 channel amp in this post, I ran 4 corners plus a sub with it:

And again, same idea as always.. JL 300/2 running my front doors, 250/1 running a single sub. I never cared for JL amps at all, and sold these very quickly. I despised the regulated power supplies.

More old school amp, a PPI PC series. this was a SIX channel amp, but you could bridge 5+6 for a sub.

2011 VW GTI - K04