Installing SUB and AMP to stock 06 wrx cd headunit??!!

This is a discussion on Installing SUB and AMP to stock 06 wrx cd headunit??!! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; ayooo I got an 06 wrx with the stock 6 disc cd changer.. i hooked up kenwood speakers no problem..Now ...

Installing SUB and AMP to stock 06 wrx cd headunit??!!

ayooo
    I got an 06 wrx with the stock 6 disc cd changer.. i hooked up kenwood speakers no problem..Now I am looking to install a kicker 12' SUB with an AMP to the stock head unit..
    If anyone knows anything about this.. Will I run into any problems? what would I need?

thanks!!!
    -R

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well when i had an amp & sub on my stock head unit i went to wal-mart and they have some audio converter & you splice into your stock harness for the front,back,left,right speaker positive and negative and it turns them in to rca connection also splice into the + acc wire on the factory harness this will be for the remote wire. run a power wire through the nicely provided hole in the fire wall, and a ground to a seat bolt in the trunk. try to do the cleanest job you can sloppy gets http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/images/smilies/thumbdown.gif

i will post up the wire location if you need it

yeh if u can, post whatever you have.. thanks a lot!

It's called a line level adapter. It turns speaker inputs into RCA outputs. I have one that I'm not using if you're interested. I had subs wired in my stock HU, I got a new HU and no longer need it. PM me if interested.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

honestly it is a big sound diff. with an after market HU but the good ones can be a bit pricey but here you go and good luck with this

this pin out worked for me http://www.northursalia.com/modifica.../radiowrx.html

if you are serious about your sound then just spend some extra money and get an aftermarket head unit, line level converters are terrible quality and there is no way around it without upgrading head unit
    2002 WRB WRX Wagon
    Tuned by Bobby at PRE
    245 AWHP and 255 AWTQ @17 psi
    Bugeye Mafia #153
    Proud member of Different Strokes

Quote Originally Posted by WRXworm View Post
    I Hit 22 mph one time... and then i got scared so i let off. dont worry though, i was in a empty parkin lot so no one was around... When your to that point you need to shift into 2nd it gets scary... be careful out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Julianh06 View Post
    if you are serious about your sound then just spend some extra money and get an aftermarket head unit, line level converters are terrible quality and there is no way around it without upgrading head unit
    I disagree. A line level adapter does fine for creating RCA's to hook up an AMP to for subs and just more bass. It just an output for bass, and it does a pretty good job at it. An upgraded HU makes the rest of the speakers sound better.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Fist post here!!!

As stated above LOC's are designed simply to add an RCA output on a high level line (i.e. speaker lead). They can impart some degradation to the SQ, but only if you use a REALLY bad one (most are fine...even a RadioShack equivalent).

If I was to use one I'd get it from www.davidnavone.com

Now, the big issue with the stock HU is that it has a built in auto-EQ feature that starts cutting the low end out as you increase volume to limit distortion to the factory speakers. This is not an easy thing to correct as even aftermarket factory integrating systems like the 3Sixty.2 and the JL CleanSweep require you to really manually adjust the EQ curves. It can be done, but not easily.