Stock stereo question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock stereo question within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; My new '07 WRX STI came with the crappy stock stereo. Is it worth spending the money to have the ...

Stock stereo question

My new '07 WRX STI came with the crappy stock stereo. Is it worth spending the money to have the dealer option subwoofer & amplifier offered by Subaru installed at the dealership? Did any of you guys get the dealer stereo upgrade, and if so is it ok?

Thanks,

Oyster

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would save your money and get something aftermarket like a 8" pioneer woofer which will be way better with upgraded door speakers will make a huge difference
    JDMSTIBUGEYE

Go aftermarket. The stock system is weak, even in the "upgraded" 140watt system. I don't have the sub because I like bass, so I was gonna add my own. The optional sub doesn't sound bad, but its still flat because the rest of the system has no depth in sound.

The problem especially lies in the headunit. It does not have near enough power to power the speakers, so you get clipping when you turn the volume up. Its great having a 6 disc changer in the dash, but thats the downfall. I replaced the headunit with a Pioneer Avic D3 Nav/DVD unit and it made it sound 5x better just because it had more power to the speakers. Now you don't have to go spend uber money on a Nav system, but a good $250 head unit would do wonders to start. Get an Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer, Kenwood or something good that has an Ipod interface (totally worth it).

Then spend $100 or so on replacing the front speakers (2 ways) to get more depth in sound, amp them if you are a audiophile, otherwise the upgraded head unit should push them fine. Replacing the rears aren't as necessary because you don't fully hear them as well since they are down by the footwells of the rear seats. Your ass doesn't need to listen to good sound.

Then spend a few hundred $$$ on a 10-12inch sub and amp combo to produce some good lows and bass. Even think about the Infinity BassLink system because its really good.

Those are my $.02...goodluck.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Mikie13,

I want to thank you for taking the time to answer my question thoroughly. Now I know which direction to head.

Sincerely,

Oyster

Quote Originally Posted by oyster View Post
    Mikie13,

I want to thank you for taking the time to answer my question thoroughly. Now I know which direction to head.

Sincerely,

Oyster
    Hey dude, no problem...

Goodluck with your endeavor and let me know if you have any other questions
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.