what is the right sound system for me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on what is the right sound system for me? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; i love music and since the stock 6 cd changer player in the 06 wrx is jammed because of stupid ...

what is the right sound system for me?

i love music and since the stock 6 cd changer player in the 06 wrx is jammed because of stupid cd skin protectors i cant listen to music anymore and i doubt they will warranty fix it because of the cd skin protectors. I need to replace the cd player for something better.

What headunit/cdplayer(double din preferably) and speakers would you reccomend that is substansially and noticably better than the stock speakers. I love the mid range bass from the stock speaker and would like speakers that have that better bass quality as im not looking into a subwoofer... well maybe later but speaker swap and cd player swap first and must have good quality bass and clarity. Oh and i also love the sound of nice clarity and Bass with good big headphones and a good cdplayer. I would like to replicate that sound in the car

and it would be good if the suggestions were best bang for the buck and not wallet breaking

for a double din cdplayer is the Kenwood DPX-501 the best bang for buck for double din?
    Last edited by momolicious; 08-23-2007 at 08:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Speakers: Focal

Head unit: Eclipse.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

it all depends on what you are willing to spend.

When it comes to head units i swear by alpine, you will see a night and day difference in sound quality with the headunit alone.

as far as speakers...i don't think it would be a worth while upgrade unless you get an amp. Aftermarket speakers really do need an extra punch to really take full advantage.

the stock speakers aren't that bad, once they have a higher quality signal going to them.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    it all depends on what you are willing to spend.

When it comes to head units i swear by alpine, you will see a night and day difference in sound quality with the headunit alone.

as far as speakers...i don't think it would be a worth while upgrade unless you get an amp. Aftermarket speakers really do need an extra punch to really take full advantage.

the stock speakers aren't that bad, once they have a higher quality signal going to them.
    Yes the stock speakers are good but you can really tell that the clarity isnt that great, kinda muddy ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by momolicious View Post
    Yes the stock speakers are good but you can really tell that the clarity isnt that great, kinda muddy ya know?
    i think thats more to do with the signal from the headunit. the factory HU is such crap. and the muddyness may also have to do with all the road noise that comes through in our cars. I have dynamat on the entire floor of my car and its made a difference in what i hear and how my factory speakers sound.

right now i have the Alpine IVA-W200 and I love it.

edit: i've had a few buddies actually blow their brand spankin new top quality after market speakers, not because they have too much power going to them, but they didnt spend the extra cash on an amp and ran them from the factory HU.

Underpowered aftermarket speakers + high volumes= distortion =blown speakers
    Last edited by abhiwan; 08-23-2007 at 08:57 PM.
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

ok, if i get a single din headunit what else do i need to buy to install it? im going to have to have like a din holder or something to hold the single unit? that has a hole in the bottom to hold things. a harness?

Quote Originally Posted by momolicious View Post
    ok, if i get a single din headunit what else do i need to buy to install it? im going to have to have like a din holder or something to hold the single unit? that has a hole in the bottom to hold things. a harness?
    yeah, technically you don't need anything, but you'll have a big hole on the bottom of your stereo and its not very attractive. what you could do is get the Forester pocket, you will have to install it upside down to fit, but it works well. you just open it the other way around.

there are also mounts that will give you just a plastic shelf for storage.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JZnUHK1...8999&s=0&cc=01

and to make life easier...you'll need this

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JZnUHK1...8901&s=0&cc=01
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

+1 on crutchfield and alpine.

CRutchfield ships fast and will include a plug and play harness and any adaptor plate you need to make a single din fit your double din opening. FOR FREE. Best buy is gonna charge you for both.

Get a headunit with the HD radio function. Some of the older models that might be still for sale wont have it.

I vote for polks if your gonna replace the door speakers too. They are made with super tough materials and are designed to sound as good as they do new for years to come.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    i have the older Alpine 9847 , with the ipod ready interface.

but i'll prolly upgrade to this one soon:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w52bUwE...0&I=500IDAX001
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails h500iDAX001-f_mt.jpeg  
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

just get the skin unstuck, I had the same problem with mine, I pulled the stereo, popped the top and could see the problem, unjammed it and its running good now
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
    yall retarded i sware!!! horsepower my ass!!!! BOV is gay!!! but it came with the car and the Bypass is broke so what can i do!!!
    Improper grammar, incorrect spelling, and excessive exclamations kills 5 kittens a day.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm loving my Alpine and Polks:

Finally Getting Some Decent Sound in the Cockpit...

Moving to Cockpit and Cabin.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    As far as headunits I've had Kenwood, Alpine, Eclipse, and now Panasonic. Eclipse was the best but it was not easily adaptable to an Ipod at the time so I went with Panasonic. You can hook anything up to that thing.

If you're going to do the headunit definitely do the speakers. You'll be happy you did.

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    i think thats more to do with the signal from the headunit. the factory HU is such crap. and the muddyness may also have to do with all the road noise that comes through in our cars. I have dynamat on the entire floor of my car and its made a difference in what i hear and how my factory speakers sound.

right now i have the Alpine IVA-W200 and I love it.

edit: i've had a few buddies actually blow their brand spankin new top quality after market speakers, not because they have too much power going to them, but they didnt spend the extra cash on an amp and ran them from the factory HU.

Underpowered aftermarket speakers + high volumes= distortion =blown speakers
    ^^^This quote says it all...Speakers don't blow from too much power (in most cases), they blow from being underpower. Its called clipping. You want louder music, so you turn the volume up, but it doesn't actually send more power, but it taxes the speaker more because its trying to play louder music, without the necessary power to play it and it fries the voice coils.

The stock HU is crap. It didn't have any volume for good sound. When I replaced it, I went with the Pioneer Avic D3 (Double DIN DVD/Nav unit w/touchscreen) and it only ran me $700 (brand new, sealed in box off ebay, shipped and arrived 2 days after I Buy-It-Now'd) and I installed it myself in about an hour. Actually quite easy. Since installing it, I noticed the sound quality inside my car has improved dramatically on the stock speakers. The midrange and bass is much improved and the HU has a FULL equilizer that includes some presets that sound good. And you have integrated Navigation that is easy to use (and very helpful) and simple DVD function...not to mention seamless IPod integration that utilizes the touchscreen with a $20 wire, which I love.

IMHO...its one of the best $700 I've ever spent

As for speakers, in other cars (BMW 318i)...I have had Infinity Kappa Perfect components that were amped up with only about 50 watts RMS a piece...and they sounded PHENOMENAL! They would even still be good running off an aftermarket HU.

I will definitely vouch for any Alpine or Eclipse HU as well as I have had experience with those in previous cars. They are all quality brands that I stand by
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

the D3 is sweet, I wish i would have waited a bit and got that instead.

i'm happy though
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

btw, what is the 06 wrx stock speakers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast