Subaru WRX Forum banner

OEM Subwoofer wiring

29K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Heide264 
#1 ·
is the wiring for the oem subwoofer in every car? ie under the seat or does the subwoofer attach to the radio directly. if so is the low pass filter built into the head unit or the sub itself.

i am looking for a source for my aftermarket amp, and if there is already a low level imput under the seat then it should be easy.

anyone else running a sub off the factory head unit? where did you get your signal from?

#5 ·
The way the harness works is it goes between thw radio and the regular harness. You unplug the radio and then put that plug into the sub harness which then splits and goes to the sub and into the back of the radio. Hope this is not confusing.

#6 ·
I just bought the OEM sub, but realized that it only plugs into the stock HU.

Is there any adapter or anything you can use for wiring the OEM sub into an aftermarket HU? Or am I just SOL?

My HU is the Kenwood DNX7100, it has two cable looking receivers labeled for the sub.

#7 ·
Hate to bring this thread back from the grave, but I was wondering if anyone had an answer to that question about the aftermarket head unit ^^^^.

I'm considering putting the Subaru sub in my Miata (it has an aftermarket head unit) and buying a Boss Bass1200 or something for the Subie.

#9 ·
Haha, they may not be great, but they're just what I wanted. I was able to get it in the Miata and it works just fine, and really fills in the bass that the system didn't have.

#10 ·
This thread also makes me sad. Why waste your time and money on products that are unbelievably mediocre? :rolleyes:

#11 ·
Sub came with the car, and I'm gonna put a better sub in it, so I figured I'd make use out of the factory.

#12 ·
To each his own, but why waste your time? You're going through all that work to hook up a factory sub when you're going to have to duplicate effort when you upgrade.

#13 ·
It's a Miata, a little sound goes a long way. I don't plan on upgrading.

#14 ·
I don't think it is a bad idea. I've had to work with what I had my whole existence. If you have an under the seat sub that isn't bad, you can always use it. Once you install it, it's not hard to upgrade later if you want.

Just my opinion.

Did you have to run power to it? I'm not sure how those subs work.

#15 ·
6 wires I had to tap into, all found on the back of the headunit:
Power/ground for both rear speaker wires,
12v power,
Ground,

So yes, you have to power it with 12 volts. I tapped into the headunit power and haven't blown any fuses yet. the sub and HU both have their own fuses so if something will blow it would be at the car's fuse block.

#17 ·
Sounds good. Normally when you deal with speakers for reference, they are known as +/-. If you say power/ground for each speaker, people get even more confused due to the number of power wires.

Keep an eye on it, I doubt it draws that much power, but without running a dedicated power line, you never know.

Sound okay?

#18 ·
Personally I think it sounds pretty good, and I'm pretty picky (not about thumping bass, moreso about quality blend).

The miata is a small car so it doesn't take much power to get good volume. With the top down it's a little weak, but I can always turn it up. It's certainly better than before, and I wasn't willing to sacrifice what little space the car has. This was a good compromise.

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.