Harman Kardon Drive and iPod
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Harman Kardon Drive and iPod within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Has anyone tried the new HK drive unit in their WRX. Thinking of getting one but not sure where the ...

Harman Kardon Drive and iPod

Has anyone tried the new HK drive unit in their WRX. Thinking of getting one but not sure where the screen or the controller could mount.
    Mods: VF34,TMIC, Up pipe, Dp, full catless, Ecutek, Stoptec brakes, DMS 40 coil overs, ALK, CUSCO subframe, Sparco seats, Exedy twin plate and more that I can't remember.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by canlogic
    Has anyone tried the new HK drive unit in their WRX. Thinking of getting one but not sure where the screen or the controller could mount.

Looks like a cool device... will it work with the wrx stock headunit? Any idea how it hooks up?
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

Looks like it will only hook up to the stock headunit through a FM modulator (and on crutchfields site, you get taht with your purcahse). It can go as an aux input as well, but the stock HU doesnt have one.

Also, you could probably mount the control unit in one of the cupholders,but it looks like it will sit a little deep and you will also loose a cupholder and the display right next to the clock.

For the price though, personally, I like my setup alot more. My headunit cost me 169 (compared to 199 for this piece, at least on crutchfield's site), and an aux stereo cable was 5 bucks. I just plug it through the aux port and thats it Plus, you get WAY better sound than the stock headunit. Just something to consider.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02694.JPG  

Ive got an FM modulator now hooked up to my stock headunit. It actually sounds pretty damn good for a 25$ peice. There is never interference you get from other stations. The only thing that is annoying is if my cell phone is in the ashtray (where I normally leave it) there is some weird distortion.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

I have a Pioneer avic-n1 and have the pioneer ipod hookup. What I don't like is that you don't get a very good way of browsing through playlists or songs. I am not sure if I have anywhere to mount the display as I have an Ecutec in dash display where the clock used to be. I will have to go to the sterio place and check it out I guess.
    Mods: VF34,TMIC, Up pipe, Dp, full catless, Ecutek, Stoptec brakes, DMS 40 coil overs, ALK, CUSCO subframe, Sparco seats, Exedy twin plate and more that I can't remember.

Went and looked at it today but didn't have time to have it installed. I think I am going to put it in next friday or saturday. I think I will mount the screen either in the recess in front of the ashtray or at the back of the clock opening on top of the dash. The control stick can go on the console near the shifter. The iPod itself I think I will put in the lower armrest as it fits nicely in there. If I use it with the Ipod base I can run a svideo to rca cable to my auxilliary video in and watch videos from the iPod on the pioneer screen. The HK unit itself is very well made not plastic but all metal.

Had the unit installed last saturday. It works very well. Mounted the display it the recess in front of the ashtray. Mounted it almost lying down, just slightly angled up. The controler I mounted just below the armrest at the back of the shifter opening. Did not use the fm part. I wired it in to the aux in on my head unit. I was trying to use the iPod base unit in the consol and thought maybe I could use the svideo out but the HK drive unit cannot see the iPod when going through the base so I just ran the connector into the glove box. All in all I am very happy with it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.