Fiberglass Enclosure Mold Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fiberglass Enclosure Mold Update within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey all, for those who are interested I just wanted to give ya a little update on the progress of ...

Fiberglass Enclosure Mold Update

Hey all, for those who are interested I just wanted to give ya a little update on the progress of the mold for the fiberglass subie enclosures. I've been pretty busy with everyday business so It's taken me awhile to even get to this point. I started with a new model, this one is for a 12 and fits both STI's and WRX sedans. Made the plug (original) out of foam so I could get the exact shape I wanted. After I fiberglassed it, smoothed it out with filler and then a coat of automotive grade primer. Sanded it down to 600 grit and then it was ready for a mold to be pulled from it. Had to make the mold three parts so I could get in there and fiberglass everywhere. The blue color is tooling gel coat, the first layer of resin basically that the mold is made from. It differs in color cause we used different amounts of pigment each time. Remember this is my first time doing this so all you mold guys take it easy on me! All said and done it pulled apart good and after a couple of small touch ups should be good to pull a part. This one is bigger than the last one, again it's for a 12 and just about any 12 will fit. Invadersevlow on here has been nice enough to loan me his 05 wagon so I can make a original and mold that will fit the wagons. Same thing going to start with a 12" then make a 10" version and possibly a 8" one too. The plan is to become a vendor here at the begining of March and hopefully soon after I will have a couple different versions to choose from. They don't look too fancy right now but after I get them wrapped in carpet and the flush rings made it will be very high quailty product. Just wanted to show you some of the steps in the mold process, I knew it was going to take some work but I was surprised in how much time I have in making this one mold! Illl try to post pics of the wagon version here in a bit.

I'll post pics of the finished part with the trim ring hopefully soon!
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Everything is looking good. Do you have any idea how much these are going to be?

nice...im very interested...depending on price.
    " I got four doors to fit more wh0res !!!"

SOCAL F4
    MEMBER "00"

(CLUBWRX'S 1ST OFFICIAL "F4" TEAM) est. May 2, 2005

H4N
    ya, looks pretty sweet. nice and simple.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    ヲヲ http://www.autobonproductions.com ヲヲ
    ッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッッ

I Support ClubWRX
    w3some!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice work! I'm gonna be trying my hand at making some molds pretty soon. Do you have any online resources you can share?
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    Very nice work! I'm gonna be trying my hand at making some molds pretty soon. Do you have any online resources you can share?
    There's a company called FreemanSupply.com that sells videos and has a bunch of good how to's on all kinds of mold making. Other than that we just leared by doing, gets kinda expensive though! What kinda parts are you going to be trying to mold?
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

I Support ClubWRX
    Fairings for a motorcycle!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

it looks nice, but as far as sound quality, that's what i'd be concerned about the most. different shapes can cause distortions and give you problems with your sub. however, i'd love to see the finished product. good luck!

I Support ClubWRX
    I used several fiberglass enclosures of varying shapes and sizes and I've never noticed any strange distortions or resonances from a properly built box. As long as you use good quality glass and enough thickness, you shouldn't have a problem...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

You are actually better off having an irregular sized box. The shape really doesn't matter because air is considered a fluid and will take any shape of it's container. Many say that boxes that have flat walls like a square box will sound worse due to the frequencies that the subwoofer makes deflecting off of the walls. I finished my box WRXINTEGRATIONS. I will post a pic as soon as I get a chance to take a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx
    You are actually better off having an irregular sized box. The shape really doesn't matter because air is considered a fluid and will take any shape of it's container. Many say that boxes that have flat walls like a square box will sound worse due to the frequencies that the subwoofer makes deflecting off of the walls. I finished my box WRXINTEGRATIONS. I will post a pic as soon as I get a chance to take a picture of it.
    Nice! Defiantly post some pics. Did the project go pretty good this time? Your right on the flat walls too. Technically the worst sounding box would be a square with the subwoofer centered. The waves can cause disrubtive disturbance. There's lots of factors that go into it. With as many boxes as I've built with as many different shapes I would say the mis-shaped boxes sound the best. But what's more important is that the enclosure is built with the right amount of airspace for the subs, it's airtight, and no walls or parts of the enclosure can flex under the pressure of the sub playing.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxintegrations
    But what's more important is that the enclosure is built with the right amount of airspace for the subs, it's airtight, and no walls or parts of the enclosure can flex under the pressure of the sub playing.
    that's also a great point...and more along what i meant..even if i didn't say it

SO around what date do you think this will be ready? I have a 12' sub and an amp lyng around and I want to throw this in the subie.
    " I got four doors to fit more wh0res !!!"

SOCAL F4
    MEMBER "00"

(CLUBWRX'S 1ST OFFICIAL "F4" TEAM) est. May 2, 2005

still interested in one of these enclosures. any idea on a price or even a price range?
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

Blobeye Syndicate #23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast