Any Interest in fiberglass enclosures for your subie?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Any Interest in fiberglass enclosures for your subie? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Ok all, here's the deal. I just recently left my full time job to work on my own in my ...

Any Interest in fiberglass enclosures for your subie?

Ok all, here's the deal. I just recently left my full time job to work on my own in my shop. Some of ya might of seen it, I posted some pics awhile ago of it. For those of ya that didn't know I was a custom car audio installer for a shop over in Portland. Too many projects in the shop to justify working there anymore so time to move on. I've been in the business now for over 9 years and currently most of my projects at the shop are car audio related. I recently built a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure for my 05 WRX and have been posting pics of it along the way (Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure Part 1, 2, and 3). I've was playing around with the idea of making a mold of it so I could reproduce them when I just had, I think the only guy in town here with a STI stop by with some intrest in a enclosure like mine. Some of ya here have also hinted at wanting one. So....I'm asking all you guys if I had a enclosure that would also fit an STI would ya have any intrest in buying one. Cause of not being a vendor here (yet) and not knowing exactly how much materials and time I will have into them I can't say how much they might be, but loaded with a woofer should be cheaper than the JL Audio Stealth boxes. When I was working in Portland all I did was custom work and I have a million ideas in my head for new stuff at any moment of the day, so I know I can come up with some pretty cool subie products. Right now I am tracking down the same blue suede that's used in the STI's for some cool accent pieces. There's alot of good installers out there but most of them don't have my attention to detail and design, so the finished product would be of extremely high quality. I'll have lots of pictures so you can see what kind of work goes into them along the way. Sorry for going on and on but I quess if there's enough intrest I'll start building and become a vendor. It's got to go on the drivers side so It will stick out a bit more but shouldn't be too bad. 10's , 12's or both? Do you guys like the trim ring and what colors would ya like to see? Just pm me or post here what ya think and I'll see what I can do!! Here's a couple pics of my subie enclosure, one I just did for a Toyota Avalon, and some other enclosures.

"I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im interested in one if it will fit in a sti
    -05 CGM STi Blobeye Syndicate #4
    -97 Acura SLX totaled 231k
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

I would be interested in a box like the one you made for your wrx. I can't remember what size sub i have in my car right now but i think it's a 12. If you can figure anything out about pricing that would be awesome. The only thing I would like different about the one in that picture above would be to be able to put a grill over the sub because the sub in my trunk right now got puntured by something and I have another sub to use but I haven't put it in yet due to not having gotten a grill for the box.

the one that is in that wrx, where is the amp placed or going to be placed?
    my amp is screwed to the side of my box currently.
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

Blobeye Syndicate #23

wow, thats badass! Id be interested depending on price but also I dont know if I am ready to spend any more on audio right now.

The current box I have is HUGE though in comparison to that (although I think the installers made it for purely bass so I dont know how the sub would sound in your enclosure compared to the one I currently have). Do you know of the space inside the enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by subie04

you could make a custom mount like nocturnal (Bangin' stereo for 06 wrx!) or bolt it up to the back of the seats like I did.

I would be interested in a box like the one you made for your wrx. I can't remember what size sub i have in my car right now but i think it's a 12. If you can figure anything out about pricing that would be awesome. The only thing I would like different about the one in that picture above would be to be able to put a grill over the sub because the sub in my trunk right now got puntured by something and I have another sub to use but I haven't put it in yet due to not having gotten a grill for the box.

Yeah I wanted to come up with some kinda grill. It makes it kinda hard sometimes cause of the woofers excursion you got to keep it off the surround by quite a bit so the woofer has to sit back far. I'm sure I can come up with something though. I have an amp under my seat right now but i'm going to be moving it to the trunk soon. Haven't had a chance to figure that one out yet. The best place is behind the rear seat, but I hate to block the ski boot.
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

im not ready to upgrade my factory sound system yet, but a sub in the back would be nice. could i disconect my factory sub and use the amp to power a bigger sub in the trunk? Thanks
    -05 CGM STi Blobeye Syndicate #4
    -97 Acura SLX totaled 231k
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by eld4au6
    im not ready to upgrade my factory sound system yet, but a sub in the back would be nice. could i disconect my factory sub and use the amp to power a bigger sub in the trunk? Thanks
    You wouldn't want to power any aftermarket subwoofer off your factory amp. Almost all subwoofers you would buy aftermarket require more power than what your factory amp is capable of producing. It would play and make alittle noise but it wouldn't take too long untill It damaged the amp, and or sub. If your subwoofer isn't getting the right amout of power it will distort when played and cause damage to the woofer, aswell as sound terrible. Your best bet is to purchase a amp that is well matched for the sub you would be using and install it off your factory headunit with a high level adpater.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxintegrations
    Yeah I wanted to come up with some kinda grill. It makes it kinda hard sometimes cause of the woofers excursion you got to keep it off the surround by quite a bit so the woofer has to sit back far. I'm sure I can come up with something though. I have an amp under my seat right now but i'm going to be moving it to the trunk soon. Haven't had a chance to figure that one out yet. The best place is behind the rear seat, but I hate to block the ski boot.
    yeah my box sits on the drivers side of the trunk and you can still get two pairs of skis through the back seat but its a little tough.

my amp is very powerful but it is pretty small in size so ti could get mounted on the back of the seat area in the trunk on whatever side the sub is to keep it close(minimize amount of wire needed)
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

Blobeye Syndicate #23

yeah my box sits on the drivers side of the trunk and you can still get two pairs of skis through the back seat but its a little tough.

my amp is very powerful but it is pretty small in size so ti could get mounted on the back of the seat area in the trunk on whatever side the sub is to keep it close(minimize amount of wire needed)

What kind of sub are you using and how much airspace does it require?

It is a rockford fosgate 12 inch, not sure on the specs of it or what model it is right now but I can probably find out more if you need more info
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

Blobeye Syndicate #23

It is a rockford fosgate 12 inch, not sure on the specs of it or what model it is right now but I can probably find out more if you need more info
    Thanks, that's all I needed to know, I wanted to build the new enclosure to fit a variety of different subs. Even though airspace will differ slightly between subs, most 10's and 12's that are built today require about the same space. I wanted the enclosure to work for you guys that already have a sub and don't want to buy another.

So this setup is just for one sub? Can you install 2 like you did in the Avalon? Also, the biggest question is, how does it sound? That's not a very big enclosure for a sub but does the trunk make up for that?

I dunno anything about audio so sorry if the questions are a bit

J

Quote Originally Posted by JitsuGuy
    So this setup is just for one sub? Can you install 2 like you did in the Avalon? Also, the biggest question is, how does it sound? That's not a very big enclosure for a sub but does the trunk make up for that?

I dunno anything about audio so sorry if the questions are a bit

J
    Right now I am currently working on making 2 new enclosures, one for the drivers side (STI model) and one for the passenger side. The one in the picture I built for myself and was going to use a Diamond Audio sub. The sub didn't require too much air, but the new boxes are going to be alittle bigger to accommodate different subs. Probably in the area of .8 cubic feet for a 10 and 1.25 cubic feet for the 12. The enclosure/sub sounds great in my car. You can get alot of output from one sub, you'd be surprised. One of the reasons these type of enclosures sound so good is because of the shape. In a normal square box you can get disruptive waves inside the box that actually work against one another and cause lower output. (Basically when the box has sides that are even distance from one another the wave reflections tend to cancel each other out.) Since the WRX doesn't have any solid structure (metal) sealing the trunk off from the cabin all the bass has no problem travelling forward. Most sedans and wagons make good sounding cars for bass. Once I get those finished I am going to become a vendor so I can sell to you guys here on the forum.

damn. im not in the market for any kind of audio yet (tho i do want to upgrade in the future) but if you made these id probably be quite interested, pending price. ::goes to file tax return::

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.