New headunit installed along with ipod
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New headunit installed along with ipod within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Well, so I didnt feel like trying to figure out a new way to connect my ipod (didnt want the ...

New headunit installed along with ipod

Well, so I didnt feel like trying to figure out a new way to connect my ipod (didnt want the transmitter or a modulator) so I just decided to buy a headunit. I ended up getting a Pioneer DEH-4800MP from crutchfield for 169 (came with harness and din pocket so its pretty much the same price if I would have purchased everything seperate). Also, the install was really easy since I originally had 2 amps and upgraded speakers installed off my headunits, so the RCA's were already there.

The ipod is plugged in to the back of the headunit via an aux 3.5mm cable. I purchased a belkin auto ipod charger that plugs into the ipod and also has a built in volume control (which I dont need or wont use sicne I hid it out of sight) but it also has a line out which is great.

Only thing that I still cant figure out, I cant get any radio reception with the new headunit. I did plug in the antenna. Weird thing is that when I pull out the radio, I get more reception, but when I push it in all the way back the reception dies, I am assuming there is something that is causing some interference but I have no clue, any suggestions? I think I just might go to a audio shop see if they can help me out (hopefully wihout having to charge me) if I cant figure it out, but any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02691.JPG   DSC02694.JPG   DSC02695.JPG   DSC02697.JPG   DSC02698.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice, does this set up charge your Ipod?

I tried to do something like this and charge the ipod...and fried the charging mechanisum on the ipod
    - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    Nice, does this set up charge your Ipod?

I tried to do something like this and charge the ipod...and fried the charging mechanisum on the ipod

yea it charges the ipod, hopefully it wont fry it since that is waht it is intended for. This is the one I purchased.

Also, I have it plugged into a another cigarette lighter that isntalled by tapping into the stock one.

ok, fixed the reception problem. I origanlly forgot to splice in the powered antenna booster into the harness. Works perfect now

this makes me want to get a new HU but i wouldnt be abile to use my factory sub would i?
    -05 CGM STi Blobeye Syndicate #4
    -97 Acura SLX totaled 231k
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    I will definetely be doing this. I hate the cig lighter transmitter, its the worst.
    How much did all this cost you if you dont mind me asking?
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

well, originally I had the the 2 amps, speakers and the sub installed all off the stock headunit, and that cost me about 300 (I paid 500, but taht was because I got new speakrs too) a bit steep, but at the time I didnt feel like running any wires nor did I knwo where to start splicing into the stock harness. The new headunit cost me 169, but I installed it myself since everything I needed to install it was already there (mainly the rca's).

Kinda regret not installing it from the beginning and possibly saving some money, but I dont think I would have ran any wires by myself in the first place, but I am glad I finalyl spent the extra money to unit so that I can finalyl use my ipod in car. My only gripe thus far, and most likely its due to the fact that its not the best of headunits, is taht I do get a slight hissing sound with the aux or cd modes (not so when I play music, but on songs that music srtss off low).
    Last edited by felo3769; 01-22-2006 at 06:43 PM.

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by felo3769
    well, originally I had the the 2 amps, speakers and the sub installed all off the stock headunit, and that cost me about 300 (I paid 500, but taht was because I got new speakrs too) a bit steep, but at the time I didnt feel like running any wires nor did I knwo where to start splicing into the stock harness. The new headunit cost me 169, but I installed it myself since everything I needed to install it was already there (mainly the rca's).

Kinda regret not installing it from the beginning and possibly saving some money, but I dont think I would have ran any wires by myself in the first place, but I am glad I finalyl spent the extra money to unit so that I can finalyl use my ipod in car. My only gripe thus far, and most likely its due to the fact that its not the best of headunits, is taht I do get a slight hissing sound with the aux or cd modes (not so when I play music, but on songs that music srtss off low).
    Thanks for the info. What two wires do I need to get the Ipod in the back of the headunit and to charge it???
    Sorry I am a big electrical n00b on stereo equip.
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

What lighter socket did you use?
    How are you powering it, sorry, I know you mentioned it but I'm looking for more.
    2004 WRB WRX
    Interior: Momo shifter knob, door sills, red bulbs on HVAC, fog light, keyring, clock
    Exterior: OEM spoiler, sideskirts, red brake calipers (G2 set), cleared headlights (all white), Blue "i" emblem
    Tint: 30% front/side 20% back
    Audio: Kenwood MPV 7019 head unit w/ mp3 adapter
    Power: OEM SPT catback exhaust system, K&N air filter

Ill try to get some pics of it, but basically its just another lighter socket that is tapped into the wires from the stock one. You can pick one up at radio shack for about 6 dollars and it comes with a vampire tap, it only comes with one though so if you do not want to run a ground purchase a set of more so you can tap into the stock ground wire as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.