Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure Part 1 w/pics
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure Part 1 w/pics within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So I finally started building my fiberglass enclosure today. I put it on the passenger side since there's more room ...

Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure Part 1 w/pics

So I finally started building my fiberglass enclosure today. I put it on the passenger side since there's more room over there. I've always seen people put them on the drivers side, but I don't know why since the jack is over there. Anyway got her all masked off and waxed up so I can pull it easily. Got a good four layers of 3/4 fiberglass mat on so far.I got enough on there so when I pull it tommorrow it will hold it's shape, then I'll add some more till it's nice and strong. Working in the small trunk area sucks, plus once it's out I don't have to worry about any spills. I'll keep posting pics as I get further along.

"I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looking good man, whyd you go with the chopped over the weaved. also where do you get your materials
    TheJ original quote
    I didn't just fall off the truck from riceville. I mean how do you know the earth is round? You have a book that "SAYS" so... That doesn't mean too much.

Thanks. I've always had better luck with the chopped mat for larger parts. If you tear it instead of cutting it you can get the pieces to flow into each other better with a little overlap. It seems to make a more consistent thickness. I've used the real thin weave on some small parts with pretty good results as long as I could do it with one piece. A company in Portland Or. called Tap Plastics is where I get all my fiberglass and plexi. There's one in Seattle as well but not sure where else. I'm sure their not the cheapest but their handy for me, except they ran out of carbon fiber and they say it's hard to get ahold of. I like mr. carbon fiber. I've been playing with the idea of finishing the front with it. The contours might be to much though, we'll see.
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

ya i have a box im doing as well, its so pricey. the thing thats killing me is the cost of the hardner and the resin. im going through so much of it lol. i need to get a big tub maybe
    TheJ original quote
    I didn't just fall off the truck from riceville. I mean how do you know the earth is round? You have a book that "SAYS" so... That doesn't mean too much.

I am in the middle of building a custom fiberglass box as well. I am putting it directly into the trunk right against the rear seat. I had to make it out of fiberglass because of the wierd ass shape I chose to do. I found out the hard way just how expensive these things were to build. I figured if I built it myself it would be cheap, but that wasn't the case.

Yeah it's one of those things if you haven't used the stuff much it's usually more expensive to do it yourself, mat is pretty cheap but resin get costly and a person could go through it quickly learning. Especially after you factor in your time. Depending on how much air you need for your subs sometimes you can cheat a bit when designing your box. When building a box behind the rear seat you should be able to do most of it out of wood. If you want to make it look like it fits all factory like you can then build a trim panel that trims in the trunk and shows off your subs. This gives the illusion the box formed to the sides when actually only the trim panel is. Here is an example:

We did this one awhile back, nothing fancy just a quickie. I couldn't find any before pictures but the acutally box is only 30 some inches wide, then the trim panel flushes it into the trunk. I can't remember but these subs took alot of air. If you did fiberglass it to the sides you would be able to save some space and not come out as far into the trunk.

That will be nice. I can't wait for more pics!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

I didn't want my box to look factory I just wanted some crazy curves. Both of the subs are on a slight angle upward and face slightly toward each side of the car. Then the box has a nice curve that dips down in the middle. I worked out the approximate airspace and all should work out pretty nicely. I am using two 10 inch subs and the box is vented. The box is almost done I just don't want to take any pics until my install is complete. The only wood parts on my box are the bottom. I would say it's probobally 90% fiberglass. I was going to do the bodywok to the box and paint it the same color as my car, but that's even more money I would have to spend on paint, sanding materials, and bondo. So I am just going to carpet it instead.

Dude, wait for money to finish it right. A carpeted box will not look nearly as good as one painted to match! (my opinion!) I would think that one painted would have much more of a visual impact when the trunk is opened, especially when you tell people you did all the work yourself! I think carpet would hide all the detail work you did getting it to fit in the trunk the way that you did.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

The box I have made is allready carpeted. Someone I know is looking to buy it for like $600 so I plan on building another. Even if he doesn't buy it I still want to build another. Building this thing definately had a fun factor. It is nice to start out with nothing but an idea and build something amazing from scratch. When I built this one I wasn't too careful with the fiberglass and resin so the box came out lumpy in some spots. Would have taken me a year and a day to sand the thing down and bondo it. The carpet hides any small imperfections. I am going to see how this one sounds and then probobaly get started on another one.

Yeah, that makes sense .The carpet would hide any rough spots. Where are you located? People would probably like custom boxes(me). I have a Solobaric, but I assume sub shape would not matter. Shipping would probably be a *****.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

I am in New York on Long Island. My friend owns a car audio business and thats how I got the idea to build something. I help him build boxes for customers so I figured I would build one for myself. Now that I am almost done with it I wish I have built some parts of it slightly different. WRXINTERGRATIONS: I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread. Your box is coming out real nice. I wish I had molded it to the side of the trunk like you did instead of just sticking the box between the wheel wells.

Hey no problems man, I like to hear what everybody else is up too. Here's a pic of a box I built kinda like yours sounded. The back is wood but everything else is fiberglass. Trimed it with black vinyl. It wasn't for any specific car, just messing around. I've build boxes with fiberglass and carpeted them too, like you said it kinda sucks cause a person can't see all the cool contours. If you can wrap them in vinyl it's better but painting is the best. Just lot's of sanding! Look for fiberglass subwoofer enclosure part 2 for more on the subie.

Whew thats hot!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

whats the best type of tape for this application, will blue masking tape cut it?
    thanks alot, great job on the box
    oops

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.