Crazy stock headunit question

This is a discussion on Crazy stock headunit question within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; in a '06 WRX wagon, since I don't care about the backseat sound, would the stock headunit be powerful enough ...

Crazy stock headunit question

in a '06 WRX wagon, since I don't care about the backseat sound, would the stock headunit be powerful enough to power seperates in the front with the rear channel wires powering the tweeters and the front channel wires powering the woofers?? (i.e. the stock HU powering just one set of seperates and nothing in rear)

I'm trying to get the best sound out of the stock HU as I live in a high-crime area and can't use an aftermarket HU.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not sure if you can do that. I don't know if the stock speakers have crossovers built into the speakers or if they're somewhere else...

What would be a good option would be to get a line-out converter, get an amp, and get a set of components. The components will come with their own crossover so all they'll need is power. You could try it without the amplifier also, but that won't sound nearly as good and decent amps don't cost much these days if you know what to look for...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I hear LOCs suck

I thought about going down that route but I hear that LOC don't really work that well as they are using a distorted signal.

I've read on this forum that the tweeters have a resistor in line to them that act as a cheapy crossover. I think the woofers are powered straight.

It's pretty much a given that the seperates you have will have their own external crossover (only the REALLY cheap ones use a little cap in-line with the tweeter). That being assumed, your seperates would have to be "bi-amp"-able, meaning there's a seperate input on the crossover for the woofer and a seperate input for the tweeter...typically only the really high end ($600+) seperates would have such a thing. If you've got that, yes it would work.

DON'T try to hook up both the front and rear channels to the same set of inputs.

You can get a line-level convertor (converts speaker level signals to RCA, appropriate to run an amplifier with) and run a small amp that's easily hidden...it seems like a bad idea, but they actually work fairly well. That would let you keep the stock HU and still run an amplifier.
    Black 2006 WRX Sedan

Snorkus-deleted with K&N drop-in
    Defi-Link Boost, EGT, Oil Temp - Gruppe-S CF dash pod
    TurboXS Turbo-back
    That's it so far!