Ipod Options.... 06 WRX
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 103

This is a discussion on Ipod Options.... 06 WRX within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; sorry if this seems retorical, but what are my options other than FM transmitters for a direct connection to the ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10

    Question Ipod Options.... 06 WRX

    sorry if this seems retorical, but what are my options other than FM transmitters for a direct connection to the factory head unit???

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,902
    Unfortunately none I think the only one would be to somehow hardwire it into the headunit in place of the cd player. I htink I remember seeing something like that over on the legacy forums where they did that and just had to play a blank cd.

    I'd like to see some responses to this thread too though because I just got an ipod and would lie to use it too, but I think I am just going to go ahead and get a headunit, but its just too expensive (because I want to kenwood dvd player since its the only one taht actually looks good in the wrx, no other decent looking double-din receivers out) and I rather save that money for something else.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    long island
    Posts
    605
    it may be a little pricey but you can purchase an alpine head unit and then purchase the alpine ipod interface which hooks up to the cd changer controls right off the deck. If you do it that way you will have no loss of sound quality and you will be able to browse through the ipod without ever touching it.

  5. #4

    Peachypumpkincheeks

    Speedette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sterling, Virginia
    Posts
    8,615
    So far, there's barely any options. I'm in the same boat...I would love to hook up my ipod thru a non-fm-transmitter.

    CHeck out this thread: another ipod option

    Interesting option, I have yet to try it. You can also buy a naviagtion system with ipod integration but that costs $$$$
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

  6. #5
    Registered User DJSHADOW7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,675
    I asked my dad to inquire a bit since he works for a subaru dealership. He told me that a sales man said subaru was going to release something for the next year (07) and it will not work in previous model year cars.... but everyone knows that salesmen are full of sh!t.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

    Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

  7. #6
    Registered User cpnwrx13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    106
    I have the Alpine CDA-9855 headunit, which is one of the more expensives models, and purchased the ipod interface adapter. All the Alpine models that are Ai-Net compatible will support the interface adapter and allow you to play the ipod through your headunit, not having to touch the ipod at all. With the Alpine headunits that aren't Ai-Net compatible, an accessory can be purchased that plugs into the back, which allows you to play the ipod through the headunit. The interface adapter runs about 100 dollars, and headunits can run fairly affordable. I love my set up, worth every penny. Now i don't have to worry about cds and such

    Heres the interface: http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/l...h_kca-420i.htm
    Last edited by cpnwrx13; 01-16-2006 at 12:52 PM.
    Life is too short for traffic.

  8. #7
    Registered User DJSHADOW7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,675
    Quote Originally Posted by cpnwrx13
    I have the Alpine CDA-9855 headunit, which is one of the more expensives models, and purchased the ipod interface adapter. All the Alpine models that are Ai-Net compatible will support the interface adapter and allow you to play the ipod through your headunit, not having to touch the ipod at all. With the Alpine headunits that aren't Ai-Net compatible, an accessory can be purchased that plugs into the back, which allows you to play the ipod through the headunit. The interface adapter runs about 100 dollars, and headunits can run fairly affordable. I love my set up, worth every penny. Now i don't have to worry about cds and such

    Heres the interface: http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/l...h_kca-420i.htm

    About how much was your entire alpine setup including the ipod adapters?
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

    Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

  9. #8
    Registered User cpnwrx13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    106
    My entire sound system ran me about 2200 dollars. My headunit was about 500 dollars, type x speakers were about 200, 2 12" type r subs were about 500. My amps are sony and plus the cap and interface adapter.
    Life is too short for traffic.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,902
    I dont remember where I saw it, but someone hardwire an aux plug into the stock headunit and mounted it in the dash. that is antoher option, but you have to open up your radio and solder some wires, which isnt too hard, but pretty risky if you dont know what your doing.

  11. #10
    Registered User DJSHADOW7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,675
    Quote Originally Posted by felo3769
    I dont remember where I saw it, but someone hardwire an aux plug into the stock headunit and mounted it in the dash. that is antoher option, but you have to open up your radio and solder some wires, which isnt too hard, but pretty risky if you dont know what your doing.


    Anyone have more info on this?????
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

    Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    270

    screen that fits indash

    hey i have an 05 wrx and i was wondering if i can get a screen that will fit in where the stock head unit is. Can the screen be a head unit too? cause the only ones that i know that can do that are the flip up ones, and those cost a fortune!

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    l.a. / sierras
    Posts
    164
    but someone hardwire an aux plug into the stock headunit and mounted it in the dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSHADOW7
    Anyone have more info on this?????
    No way on a wrx, I went to three different audio shops and they all said no way no how to adding an aux to the stock head unit.

    disclaimer: I have an 06. That said, I'm pretty sure its the same deal on previous my's
    black 06 wagon

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    l.a. / sierras
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00
    hey i have an 05 wrx and i was wondering if i can get a screen that will fit in where the stock head unit is. Can the screen be a head unit too? cause the only ones that i know that can do that are the flip up ones, and those cost a fortune!
    they all cost a fortune. one popular one is a pioneer avic-d1, which looks sick in a wrx.
    black 06 wagon

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by protocol0
    No way on a wrx, I went to three different audio shops and they all said no way no how to adding an aux to the stock head unit.

    disclaimer: I have an 06. That said, I'm pretty sure its the same deal on previous my's

    I'll try to find the thread. Not sure if it was on this forum, but I remember seeing it. It might have been a legacy, but I'd guess it would be pretty similar.

  16. #15
    Registered User Woody182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    167
    Cheapest alternative, best reception, best upside (you still have a mp3/cd player)
    Get any kenwood mpv series cd player
    Then get this:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yOeg22d...sp?i=113CAC1AX

    or

    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...rclo=&saprchi=

    It's a direct line into the head unit through the back...I can show pictures of how it's wired if you want.

    Perfect connection though, it's hard wired.
    2004 WRB WRX
    Interior: Momo shifter knob, door sills, red bulbs on HVAC, fog light, keyring, clock
    Exterior: OEM spoiler, sideskirts, red brake calipers (G2 set), cleared headlights (all white), Blue "i" emblem
    Tint: 30% front/side 20% back
    Audio: Kenwood MPV 7019 head unit w/ mp3 adapter
    Power: OEM SPT catback exhaust system, K&N air filter

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •