Ipod Options.... 06 WRX - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ipod Options.... 06 WRX within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So I installed the jazzy engineering chip from my earlier post. It works GREAT! What I did was hook up ...

installed and works great

So I installed the jazzy engineering chip from my earlier post. It works GREAT! What I did was hook up the chip and run a Y minijack out the back so I have 2 inputs. One of the inputs I used with a car charger that I hardwired into my car that takes the line level output from my ipod and charges it also then puts that into a ground loop interrupt (to get rid of some annoying clicks and cracking) and then into the new stereo input. Since putting this in, I have yet to listen to a CD other than the blank one you use to listen to the iPod. The sound quality is in my opinion better than CD quality on some songs (at least it sounds that way, I'm not sure if it actually can be). Installation took about 10 minutes to take out my dash and radio, 20 minutes to install the chip (being extra cautious, so you can be faster perhaps), and then another 10 to reinstall the dash. After I got it working, It took me about another 1.5-2 hours to hardwire everything in and get a nice clean install so it looks stock. Here are some pics of the install and final product:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1394 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	381 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	62168
    Everything before I started. From top left going clockwise: Y jack from radioshack, 6' (yes I know its excessive) 3.5mm cable male-male, the jazzyengineering chip to install, my stock radio.

Name:	DSCN1395 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	382 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	62169
    After taking the Faceplate, CD changer, and brackets off the stereo.

Name:	DSCN1396 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	62170
    The cable running from the CD changer that the chip hooks into.

Name:	DSCN1397 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	380 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	62171
    CD changer back on with the chip in. The instructions said to make sure you take the CD's out before you start, I obviously didnt but luckily I didnt end up with any jams after I started it back up again.

Name:	DSCN1398 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	373 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	62172
    A blurry picture in an attempt to show how the chip is in there.
    Last edited by xtrememotion; 04-11-2006 at 12:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Name:	DSCN1399 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	374 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	62174
    These are the two 3.5mm inputs created by using the Y jack.

Name:	DSCN1400 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	376 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	62175
    On the right is the charger (its a belkin something or another) I used that puts a line-level out into the stereo. I noticed that the sound quality is much better if you use a line level out rather than the ipod's headphone jack.

Name:	DSCN1401 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	372 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	62176
    Here is before I hardwired everything inside the dash. This is also before I installed the ground loop interrupt.
    Last edited by xtrememotion; 04-11-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Very nice install.... sounds like you know your stuff quite well. I have the same ipod w/ the same case. Just a heads up when using the car charger, I had an Xtreme Mac car charger and it litterly fried my ipod after a few uses, after doing a little research i found that to be a common problem amongst all ipod car chargers. I have the FM MODULATOR at the moment and I'm pretty sick of its sub-par performance... i would love to do this mod but im afraid of screwing something up.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

new solution
    Alpine CDA-9857
    -05 CGM STi Blobeye Syndicate #4
    -97 Acura SLX totaled 231k
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

Jealous... I'm thinking about getting that headunit with some new speakers for my birthday.

go for it, its well worth it. im very pleased with the upgrade, the stock speakers sound alot better now. But on the down side its made my oem sub way to boomy. The top rattles like a bi*ch, so for now it has a towel trying to buffer the sound. But if you dont have the stock sub your fine
    Last edited by eld4au6; 04-11-2006 at 04:50 PM.
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

bought the alpine unit yesterday night. Oh I can NOT wait to get it
    Stage II and loving it!

Congrats, you will love it
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

thanks man, I'll post pics when its all up and running....Ps did you mount your ipod anywhere? Or do you just set it in the cupholder?
    Stage II and loving it!

it resides in the forester din pocket
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

Im pricing this out right now.... any suggestions on what kind of speakers to get for the front doors? I've pretty much made up my mind on the Alpine CDA-9857 headunit. I don't really want a sub at this time. Any idea on about how much i should expect to pay for the headunit/speakers? Crutchfield throws in the ipod adapter for no cost which is nice.

i went ebay on the headunit, but i also thought that it would be a month+ from the release date(i was wrong crutchfield had it shipping the same day mine shipped) i payed $349.00 which is the same price as crutchfield but didnt come with the ipod cable. Also dont forget the wiring harness adaptor. Good luck on the speakers!
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

I bought mine on crutchfield last night. You can get one for about $300 now shipped on ebay. Heres the thing...
    $300 + $30(ipod wire) +$10 for harness + $15 for the extra casing
    Or you can get it all $350 shipped on crutchfield with a manual.
    I thought it was no brainer, should be here on Thursday
    Stage II and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by eld4au6
    i went ebay on the headunit, but i also thought that it would be a month+ from the release date(i was wrong crutchfield had it shipping the same day mine shipped) i payed $349.00 which is the same price as crutchfield but didnt come with the ipod cable. Also dont forget the wiring harness adaptor. Good luck on the speakers!

Where did you get the forester DIN case? and how much?

-95 Toyota Land Cruiser

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.