Ipod Options.... 06 WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ipod Options.... 06 WRX within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I don't care for the aftermarket headunit look.... Sucks that the stock unit has no ipod potential.... i wish my ...

I don't care for the aftermarket headunit look....

Sucks that the stock unit has no ipod potential.... i wish my 05 had a tape player.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My dad's got one of these and it works fairly well for an FM transmitter. The only prob is i have a radar detector and its currently using the only outlet.

ah, I just said the hell with trying to figure it out and bought a new headunit (plus, I already have a sub, 2 amps and upgraded speakers so I might as well, but I still like the way the stock one look, but this headunit was cheap and it has 3 preamps and an auxiliary input which is all that I needed.

So im just going to get one of these, sicne it chargers the ipod and it has an auxiliary output as well.

Im going to unmount the cigarette lighter and leave it in the back so that I dont have the charger or anywires sticking out. I might make a custom mount for the ipod too, either something from the cubby that I will ahve now, or somethign that springs out when you open up to access the ashtray.

Is there a write up for how to unmount the cig lighter and directly feed it?
    2004 WRB WRX
    Interior: Momo shifter knob, door sills, red bulbs on HVAC, fog light, keyring, clock
    Exterior: OEM spoiler, sideskirts, red brake calipers (G2 set), cleared headlights (all white), Blue "i" emblem
    Tint: 30% front/side 20% back
    Audio: Kenwood MPV 7019 head unit w/ mp3 adapter
    Power: OEM SPT catback exhaust system, K&N air filter

Worry no more, there is a way to hook your ipod up to the stock HU on the 06 or any year WRX. There is really only one way to hook it up and that's through aux. The stock HU doesnt have aux ports, but there is a way to create them with a device called an FM Modulator.

It's not am FM Transmitter. The modulator is actually wired to your antenna. When you want to use the aux ports, there is a switch that disconnects the cars antenna and switches it to the aux rca ports, so there is no outside interference. No static or cutting in and out of other radio stations that you get with an FM Transmitter.

The one I have is the Audiovox FMM100 A. It's 50 dollars at circuit city. It's not as expensive as buying a new HU, but it's still kinda pricy. I think I saw one on crutchfield.com for 30 bucks. If you get the audiovox, you will also need to buy an RCA to headphone jack cable(a few dollars at radio shack). The Scosche comes with that cable.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Audio...oductDetail.do

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P9t81xh...r&i=142FMMOD01

I hope this info helps everyone. I know i was very dissapointed when i got my 06 wrx and everyone told me that there was no way to hook up an ipod except a new HU or an FM transmitter. I tried the Griffin iTrip and returned it the next day. I live in the Bay area and there are so many radio stations, I couldnt find a frequency that the iTrip would work on. And when I did find one, I had to hold my ipod up against the HU for it to work. It's kind of a bull**** product, but I guess it might work good in an area with few radio stations.

isnt there an ipod connecter that works though the tape deck... much in the same way people use personal cd players through their tape deck to get them to work in their cars?

wont help much with the TR... but itd work fine with the 02-05..
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Yes there is a way, but the stock HU on the 06 doesnt have a tape deck. The TR only has a single disc cd player, and the WRX only has a 6 disc cd changer.

Is there a tutorial for the FM modulator? Faruchos, anyway you can do a writeup as to how I would go about installing the modulator.... I'm very interested. Thanks
    Last edited by DJSHADOW7; 01-18-2006 at 10:37 AM.

It's very simple. There is a wiring diagram in pdf format on audiovox's website. go to this link and click "find manual"

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...=346&langId=-1

This diagram would work for any fm modulator, not just the audiovx one.

There is a little work involved with this installation. The first part is getting your Head unit out, and the second part is splicing a power and a ground wire. If you have an 05 or 06, heres a very detailed tutorial on how to remove the stock HU, with pictures at every step

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hlight=removal

Once the head unit is out, you'll need to splice the power and ground wire from the stereo to the modulator. Or you can ground the modulator somewhere else and only splice the power.

The last step is mounting the power switch for the modulator. It's up to you where you want to mount it. The audiovox modulator has about 4 feet of wire for the switch, so there are plenty or options as to where you can mount it.

If you have a new head unit this is a $10 option.

Make sure your new head unit had an AUX input (stereo or RCA) If it has a stereo just connect ipod to head unit using a stero cable. If it has a RCA get a RCA to Stereo adapter and do the same.

This gets much better sound quality then any FM transmitter.
    - Gone

Yes, but the FM modulator is an option for people who who want to keep their stock stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruchos
    Yes, but the FM modulator is an option for people who who want to keep their stock stereo.
    I really would like to do this to my car, but i know little to nothing about car audio and im afraid i may mess something up. I've never spliced wires and honestly do not know what grounding means . Would a shop be able to do this? Like circut city or best buy if i brought in the instructions to remove the headunit (or if i already had it out)? And how does it sound? Is it comparable to a tape or CD?

Quote Originally Posted by DJSHADOW7
    I really would like to do this to my car, but i know little to nothing about car audio and im afraid i may mess something up. I've never spliced wires and honestly do not know what grounding means . Would a shop be able to do this? Like circut city or best buy if i brought in the instructions to remove the headunit (or if i already had it out)? And how does it sound? Is it comparable to a tape or CD?

Probably like a radio station. A bit better that tape, but you may still get some interference from radio stations. as far as instructions, its not that difficult to take it apart. They work on plenty of cars but some are still stupid enough that they cant get it right. The wrx radio is probably one of the easiest to remove though.

Wing???

is it possible that the subaru dealership would put a 06 sti wing on a new wrx????????

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast