06 wrx tr stereo

This is a discussion on 06 wrx tr stereo within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; so my stereo sucks...im thinking of upgrading. I have done numerous searches but they didnt turn up the info i ...

06 wrx tr stereo

so my stereo sucks...im thinking of upgrading. I have done numerous searches but they didnt turn up the info i really require. Could i get away with decent sound from a head unit with 4x50w of power to the four speakers in my car? Then what are the speaker sizes in an 06 TR? Would I need anything else like a wireing harness or new wires for the speakers? Sorry, I just have no idea what to do or what I need, so why not ask for advice.. thanks
    '06 wrx wr-blue

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Too be honest, it all depends what you think "decent" sound is. Fisrt off, replacing the head unit with any aftermarket one is gonna sound a world better. 4x50w is about as good as your gonna get from just a headunit, and IMO, Alpine makes the best (I have an Alpine 9827, and it sounds great). Stay away from Sony if you can!

Yes, you are going to need to get a wire harness, unless your like me, and like to spend hours splicing wires together However, the stereo will slide and bolt right in place of the old one (i have a write up on this in the tutorial section).

The front speakers are 6 1/2's with one inch tweeters, and the rear's are 5 1/4. Depending on how much you care about your stero's "cleanness of sound", i would replace the stock speakers with aftermarket ones, preferably Infinty. Keep the stock speaker wires unless you plan on getting an amplifier for the speakers.

However, you will notice that even with aftermarket headunit and speakers,you're not gonan get great volume out of them. So it will sound good up to a point, but if you're looking for perfection or anything close to it, your gonna have to buy an amplifier for the speaks!!
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

um so if i were just going to do 2-front speakers and 2-rears and wanted to amp them I would need a 2-channel amp. But if I wanted a single sub i would need a 3-channel, and if I wanted two subs i would need a 4-channel amp? I'm not really understanding the whole channel thing..
    '06 wrx wr-blue

Thats cool, its really simple..... in theory, every device that makes sound needs its own channel. So, each speaker needs a seperate channel from the amplifier. Your headunit has 4 channels (hence the 50X4), meaning that it puts 50 watts max through each channel to a certain speaker. Thus, you have FOUR speakers in the subaru for the FOUR channels of your headunit.

Now what this means is that if you want to get a new amplifier for all of the speakers, you will need a FOUR CHANNEL amplifier. If you want to get a subwoofer, its best to just buy a seperate "subwoofer amplifer" for that. Here is where it can get tricky. If you buy a two channel amplifier, you can "bridge" the two channels into one, and get almost double the power. This can be very beneficial for subs, but you probably wont need to do that, so dont worry about it.

Thats really about it. If you decided to get amplifiers, ill help you pick the right ones. I am an audio guru, so ask me if you dont understand anything! Hope this helped!
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Seriously, that really helped!....I just want decent sound...I checked out your setup on sound domain and its very clean looking. I'm thinking im gonna go with a 4-channel amp, an alpine head unit (told those are by far the best, but please provide you opinion), and 4 speakers (6.5 front: 5.25 rear). I want a practical car, and would like to do this in a balance of money vs function. I'm thinking that I won't do subs because I really don't want less space than I already have. I'm gonna look for stuff on ebaymotors, cause I'm a cheapskate. Keep in mind I'm 17, and cash isn't exactly abundant...currently. Any suggestions on inexpensive stuff is welcome. Thank you for your help.
    -Dan
    '06 wrx wr-blue

'06 wrx wr-blue

Ive got an 06 TR as well, and i hate the sound. I am just going to upgrade my head unit to a good alpine, and leave the stock speakers in. I think it will help alot (i hope).