Noob stereo questions

This is a discussion on Noob stereo questions within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Ok, if you replace the front speakers with better two-way's, do you disconnect the factory tweeters or keep them? Or ...

Noob stereo questions

Ok, if you replace the front speakers with better two-way's, do you disconnect the factory tweeters or keep them? Or would it be better to get better tweeters and some other kind of speakers for the doors? Also, has anyone have any experience with Kenwood's KSC-WA62RC subwoofer? This seems like it would be a cool easy replacement for the stock subwoofer. Would it use the stock wireing? I'm not looking for the high-end super killer system, just easy upgrades.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I replaced my factory speakers with Polk db series speakers (6.5s in the front and 5.25s in the rear). See my writeup here.

I didn't replace the factory tweeters and the system sounds fine. The Polks already have great highs, but having the factory tweeters up high helps too I think.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

the problem is that door mounted speakers are not the best place to have sound.

The imaging and the directional highs get absorbed by your leg down there if you're anything bigger than 5'11" and about 180. Even the tweeters in the upper part of the door arent that great.

Leaving them connected wont hurt anything, i believe. They have a bass-blocker type resistor in the wiring, but I don't think that has anything to do with the other driver.
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

the problem with component speakers is that they need a lot of power to actually sound right. they need an extra kick to preform properly. i highly suggest getting new speakers all around. once you look at what you had in there you will laugh. its the cheepest cone i have ever seen and the magnet is pathetic. i suggest replacing the stock head unit also the sound quality of it is terrible and it doesnt do justice to anything new you put in.
    xTristanx
    New England F4
    Blobeye Syndicate #27
    Mods