Driving seperates off stock headunit '06

This is a discussion on Driving seperates off stock headunit '06 within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Anyone out there driving aftermarket seperates off one of the newer headunits?? The '06 I am planning on buying doesn't ...

Driving seperates off stock headunit '06

Anyone out there driving aftermarket seperates off one of the newer headunits?? The '06 I am planning on buying doesn't have the upgraded speakers or sub. I was thinking of keeping the stock unit (since it is fairly high powered right? Even tho I am not getting the upgraded speakers) and just running aftermarket speakers off of it.

Is there going to be enough power?? If not, could I just run one channel to each driver in one set of seperates in the front and leave the back empty?? I'd use a powered sub in the trunk also.

My goal is to keep a stealth look and I am too lazy to use detachable faceplate type HUs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have allready removed the stock HU in my 06. The stock unit really doesn't put out any real usable power. If you wanted to keep your stock HU and add aftermarket speakers with an amp you would have to get a line converter to tap off of one of the speakers. Since the stock HU does not have any RCA'S for an amp, the line converter uses the signal from a plain old speaker wire and converts it into an RCA signal for an amp. If you choose not to amp the aftermarket speakers and keep the stock HU they probobally wouldn't really sound any better than stock. I am running the factory speakers with an alpine deck right now (no Amp) and the stereo sounds a lot better than it did with the stock HU. I can't wait until it gets a little warmer out so I can install my amps and subs.
    Last edited by 06-wrx; 12-13-2005 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx
    I have allready removed the stock HU in my 06. The stock unit really doesn't put out any real usable power. If you wanted to keep your stock HU and add aftermarket speakers with an amp you would have to get a line converter to tap off of one of the speakers. Since the stock HU does not have any RCA'S for an amp, the line converter uses the signal from a plain old speaker wire and converts it into an RCA signal for an amp. If you choose not to amp the aftermarket speakers and keep the stock HU they probobally wouldn't really sound any better than stock. I am running the factory speakers with an alpine deck right now (no Amp) and the stereo sounds a lot better than it did with the stock HU. I can't wait until it gets a little warmer out so I can install my amps and subs.
    Yeah, the stock deck is like most other stock decks. It does what it needs to do, but not much more. Problem is, since its a double din HU, I don't really dig the way a single din HU looks in its place. The aftermarket double din HUs are expensive, but looks real nice with a full touch screen with navigation.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

Maybe in the future I am looking into full pioneer touch screen with navigation. The only problem is that it costs a whole lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$