System installation quote
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on System installation quote within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just got a qoute to have a stereo install and would like to see if its reasonable. I am ...

System installation quote

I just got a qoute to have a stereo install and would like to see if its reasonable.

I am purchasing 4 speakers from them (infinity reference for 120), and I already have a subwoofer (in a box already) a 4-channel amp for the speakers and a mono amp for the sub. They are going to run everything off the stock headunit because I really dont want to change it (even though I know its going to sound 50x better with an aftermarket one, but I dont want to spend any more than what I am already, plus I like the 6-disc in dash changer). So basically they qouted me for 550 altogether. Do you think thats about right?

On another note, these people are right by my house and they specialize working on Audi's and have some beastly shop cars! I might be going to them for installs if I dont find a place that specializes in wrx's. They say they've worked with UTEC alot too so we'll see after depending how happy I am with the install.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no one?

seems liek a lot of installing speakers.. btu then again i do get a discount in my installs from my shop.. if i was in florida.. i would install your stuff for you .. all youhad to do to is buy some food and call it a day ... my shop normally charges 60 bucks to installer a set of speakers.. so 120 for bother speakers.. but since you are adding amps and a sub it shoudl about 300-400 .. but then again i dont knwo what rates are goign for in FL... but shop around.. and see where you feel the most comfortable at ...

I did this install myself. It took quite a while cause running the wires took forever. If you are going to pay this price then make sure you get what you pay for. I would check the doors and wires to check how it was done and make sure it isn't a hack job. I would pay 200 dollars not to ever hear the word grommet again. haha.

That sounds normal to me for a nice shop,,,

This kind of stuff is usually expensive, I have always done my own stereo stuff because of the crazy install prices
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

That sounds kinda expensive since you are kepping the stock head unit. They will use a line converter tapped off the rear speakers for the RCA'S because the factory unit doesn't have any. So they won't have to run a crazy amount of wires. I'm guessing they will just run some speaker wire from the 4 ch amp to the back of the head unit. Most places don't run individual wires to the doors unless asked to do so. It seems kind of pricey to me but then again I have allways did my own stereo installs. I am actually in the progress of making a custom fiberglass box for two 10 inch subs in the back of my rex.

06-wrx: Thanks for the info. I guess everyone has a differnet perception on the prices, especially if you do your own installs. But if I knew how to do it I would, id be saving so much money, but I dont have much time anyways. Keep us updated on your box too, sounds nice. I wouldnt mind a nice custom fiberglass box, but I wouldnt pay for one right now at least.

Aznburn: Thanks, so it does sound about right if you say it should be 300-400.

Toomecyt: Thanks. Pretty cool to see you did it yourself, I was thinking of doing it to, but I have been saying i was going to install it sicne I had the car, and its been 7 months and still nothing so I just decided to go ahead and pay for it.

Hopefully, it will be well worth it. All I care is that it sounds a bit better than stock and I can actually put up it loud without it muffling out.

550 seems really high for that. 2 amps should be 150 and the speakers should be 100. Thats the basic run the wire to the hu crap, if they wire it through the kickpanels add 50 bucks... do you have a sub box or are they building you one?

It really wouldn't be that hard to do if you just ran the wires back to the head unit. I made a custom rack for my two amps and mounted the crossovers for the speakers in the back so I had to run 4 wires to every door. Thats basically why it sucked for me but really in the long run it wasn't that hard. But for that price they should run individual wires to all doors cause if they don't do that then really it isn't hard at all and wouldn't take more than an hour or so probably. So to sum it up I would ask them to run the wires to every door for that price but they will hate you cause of those damn grommets.

Registered User ParklandsFinest's Avatar
    Whatever you do.. do not take yoru car to cartoys...

Biggest f***** ripp off in history and terrible installation. I've learned my lesson, never agian!
    '91 Legacy (RIP)
    '82 VW Rabbit (Under Construction)
    '06 Impreza WRX (Daily Hotness)

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    INS 4Speakers $49.99
    INS AMPSUB $55
    INS AMP4CH $65
    INS HARDWIRE $22
    Tip $20 (it's a good idea to tip your installer before hand, and give the other half afterwards)

Any Circuit City in the nation....I know, you've all heard the stories....but nothing from our shop, especially mine, will ever drop to some install standards that I've seen from "high-end" shops. For basic installs, a place like Circuit is your best bet, because it's what they do all day long. Decks, speakers, amps, and alarms. Some Mobile video....but that's it. Very little custom work, because it highly-un-profitable. I used to run a "High-end" shop, and I couldn't even imagine doing some of the things that were done there over here.

Also, resist the temptation to buy super high end cables for a basic system, especially if you're planning on having performance parts (exhaust). You will never hear the benefit when the motor is running.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I got a quote from a local shop for a similar set-up

I would provide a set of component speakers for the front, ditch the rear speakers all together, a 4 ch amp, and a 12 sub. All they would need to provide is the amp wire kit, and 2 high low convertors to use the stock head unit. With this things included, they quoted me $200.

I decided to buy a 4 ch high low convertor and an amp wire kit online, and have it installed at my friends shop.

Arrow

Here are bestbuy prices which I think are pretty standard:

How much will installation cost?

Installation service

iPod $49.99
    In-Dash Deck $44.99 to $56.99
    Set of Speakers $32.99 to $41.99
    Component Speakers $55.99 to $74.99
    Cell Phone Hands-Free Kits $69.99 to $99.99
    2-Channel Amplifier $54.99 to $71.99
    4-Channel Amplifier $69.99 to $81.99
    FM-Modulated CD Changer $64.99 to $84.99
    Direct-to-Radio CD Changer $54.99 to $69.99
    Satellite Radio Tuner $41.99 to $71.99
    Mobile Video System Price range $149.99 to $179.99

Any Mom and Pop shop here in LA will do installs free if you purchase the equipment theere. All the shops like best buy, circuit city, and al an ed's are all ripp offs. The only exception would be if you have custom instalation and boxes, other than that throw a fit make them throw it in and they will. Don't give in and good luck.
    Hey guys, I'm back!!!

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rx4mj
    Any Mom and Pop shop here in LA will do installs free if you purchase the equipment theere. All the shops like best buy, circuit city, and al an ed's are all ripp offs. The only exception would be if you have custom instalation and boxes, other than that throw a fit make them throw it in and they will. Don't give in and good luck.
    It's never free....it's just been incorporated in the price of the unit. I've been in this industry for 7 years, built show cars, published in mags, etc...Trust me when I tell you so. Also, there is a huge difference in the quality of wire used and install performed. I know that there are many CC's and BB's out there that do terrible work, but there are just as many small shops that screw up on a consistent basis. It's really not reasonable to make the assumptions you're making, and they're quite biased, yet they are what they are... your opinion, and you have a constitutional right to express them freely. I've seen great and terrible come from both, it's a matter of how competent the installer is, and how good the equipment is. I could go on forever about strand count, heat resistance in shielding, fusing standards, solder vs. crimp....but in the end the choice is yours. Big box retailers are insured and are likely to take better care of you in the long run, small shops may sometimes offer price advantage...but they're no charity either, so corners will be cut. There are some small shops that do awesome work though. I know plenty that do, but I know of many more that are master hack-shops. Likewise, I know of a few CC's and BB's in my area that do horrific work, and some that are just as good as the best I've ever come across. Just make sure you do some research first. Find out whether they take pride in their work, how much they know, and remember that price should be secondary after quality of equipment and installation.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.