Removing factory DIN head unit in 06 TR
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Removing factory DIN head unit in 06 TR within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just bought an 06 WRX TR and couldn't find anything about this.... How do I get the factory single ...

Removing factory DIN head unit in 06 TR

I just bought an 06 WRX TR and couldn't find anything about this....

How do I get the factory single din unit out without hurting anything? I need to put my pioneer unit in there.

OH, and I have the tweeter grilles on the doors. Does that mean tweeters are in there? If not, what kind of tweeters will fit, and how should I wire them to the door speakers? (what kind of passive crossover would I use, and how) THANKS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cmon I don't want to break it

i will be taking my HU out this weekend (ordered a new one from Crutchfield). luckily they send removal instructions...

if you want i can take pics of them and post them up for you if you don't mind waiting till this weekend...

2006 WRX TR
    cobb sport springs / cobb catback exhaust / other stuff...

http://static.flickr.com/49/138745946_b3a485eccb_o.jpg

i replaced my head unit about two months ago, so pardon me if i dont get this exactly right...

1.) You need to take the shift knob off (you dont have to, but it makes it easier), so just turn it counter clockwise until it detatches from the shift lever.
    2.) You need to pull up on the panel that surrounds the shift lever, and this should come out pretty easily. Once removed, disconnect the cig. lighter plug, and put the panel in a safe place.
    3. Once the panel is removed, you'll see two screws holding on to the panel that surrounds the stereo, kinda inside and underneith the panel (you'll see). Remove those. Next comes the fun part.....
    4.) CONFIDENCE!!!!! When you take out the screws, the last thing to do is to pull up on the panel. YES, you have to pry the panel upward with more force than you'd like to use, but ive done it 4 times on seperate cars, and none of them have broken. You just have to have faith. Once you pry up hard enough, the panel will "pop" off, and low and behold, the stereo and bin are staring right back at you. There are four screws holding the stereo housing to the car...take those screws off, and your ready to replace your headunit!!!

Now, unless you purchased the "tweeter speaker kit" like i did, i dont believe that the tweeters will be present. But thats ok...lucky for you, i already wrote a thread on how to remove all the door panels in yur car.

Speaker Install / Door panel removal 2006 wrx

Frankly, the stock speakers really suck, so just get a componant speaker system ( has a midrange/bass speaker and a one inch tweeter ), and install that instead, either yourself or by a professional. Hope this helps ya a bit!
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

A little late but it'll be good for other 06 owners. I figured it out, by trial and error. I popped out the top clips around the radio first, looked around with a flashlight and realized it was held on below the trim by something, took off the trim around the shift knob, took out the screws...etc.

Oh, and theres 6 screws holding the radio and bin in place. 2 up top, 2 below those, and then 2 that are kind of recessed back into the dash a little, which are lower. You were close though.

Yeah the stock speakers do suck. I will make do for a while though.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx
    4.) CONFIDENCE!!!!! When you take out the screws, the last thing to do is to pull up on the panel. YES, you have to pry the panel upward with more force than you'd like to use, but ive done it 4 times on seperate cars, and none of them have broken. You just have to have faith. Once you pry up hard enough, the panel will "pop" off, and low and behold, the stereo and bin are staring right back at you. There are four screws holding the stereo housing to the car...take those screws off, and your ready to replace your headunit!!!
    Just want to confirm if this is the right way (before I break it)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails removing_trim.jpg  

Follow the directions for the 05 models. Search on here and you'll find it. Put a piece of cloth around a screw driver or small prybar and wedge it between the plastic dash and the darker rubber "trim." It'll pop straight out. One clip on each side of the top.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

My threads!!! Thanks for the info peoples!
    First Mod: Flux Capacitor
    Second Mod: 88 MPH Governor

doesn't the upper part with the vents have to come off first?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

no, you cant take the vents out till the radio bezel is removed. Theres 3 screws holding the bottom of the vents in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendyman
    Just want to confirm if this is the right way (before I break it)...
    You don't wanna swing it up, you wanna pop the top straight out towards the rear seats.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.