Adding a subwoofer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Adding a subwoofer within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I have an 04 wrx that has the factory sub under the seat, and I want to add more in ...

Adding a subwoofer

I have an 04 wrx that has the factory sub under the seat, and I want to add more in the trunk. Is there anyone out there that has a "how to" site or past post that I can use to make this as painless as possible? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

*bump*

I would like to know this as well, but I have a slight variation. Is there any way the stock sub can fit into an aftermarket head unit?

And to contribute to this post some, if you are thinking of using the stock head unit with an aftermarket sub, it cannot be done i don't think.

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

first off the factory "sub" under the seat is said to be a sub..but really a amplifier to run more power to the speakers..and yes u can run it to an aftermarket head unit..and you defantely can have a subwoofer in the trunk ran to the factory head unit...whew

But what I want to really know is HOW to run the subs to the trunk...

Quote Originally Posted by scoobaroo04
    But what I want to really know is HOW to run the subs to the trunk...
    youll need an amp amp kit.the amp kit has rca cables 12v and a ground cable and remote cable. youll need to run a signal from the back of the radio. if its a aftermarket radio there will be rca outputs. if its a factory youll just need to splice through your speaker wire behind the radio.run the remote wire to the so when you turn on the ignition you should get power to it then after you do that hook up the amp and connect the sub to the amp. its quite simple

Quote Originally Posted by OhToRex
    first off the factory "sub" under the seat is said to be a sub..but really a amplifier to run more power to the speakers..and yes u can run it to an aftermarket head unit..and you defantely can have a subwoofer in the trunk ran to the factory head unit...whew
    There is most definetly a factory option (maybe dealer? I'd assume factory though) that place a "midbass driver" under the passenger side seat. (At least my 03 has it) The beauty of it, is the driver is supplied only the low/mid range, so there have been people that tapped into the harness (it requires a special harness to install it) and installed a converter (there are digital high-end ones on the net for very reasonable prices) and ran the RCA's from under the seat (or wherever you install the 'verter) to the sub amp, along w/ the previously mentioned power and ground connections. The only reason I haven't done it yet is I'm not sure whether there is a remote lead on the factory harness. I haven't blown up my factory one yet, so not much need to upgrade. I've been wanting to look more closely into this though as I'd like to have a better install by next year when my car is mostly done. I'd rather just drive it in the nice weather and work on it in the crap weather. HTH.

(Here, I snapped a few pics for ya: The first is the gain and high cut knobs, second is the "sub")

Last edited by god910; 10-27-2005 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Added pics
    Sonic Yellow Snow Cone
    My Mods
    "Is that your dog sled?" "I'm standing next to it."
    Quote from TFATF-4 Anchorage Drift

I do have the factory sub under the seat. What kind of converter did you use to tap into it?

I went through all of this trying to install an aftermarket powered sub with the factory receiver unit in my 04 WRX SW. I have worked with aftermarket receivers and they are pretty straight forward, easy to figure out but the Mashu****a unit in my car was, well ...... foreign to me. ;-) I had a friend who had a local professional car audio outfit do his 02 and he thought we could just copy what they did, ie find the right wires, which is what you have to do, to splice into et al. Unfortunately Subaru changed the wiring harness from 02 to 04 and it was a total washout. I went ahead and paid the professional audio guys to do mine too and I'm glad I did. It is a Kenwood KSC-WA62RC mounted in the back on the left side speakers facing the wall, screwed down to the floor in only place where there is no panel. The whole back area of the car has become a bass resonator and with the sub's remote control mounted with velco unter the emergency brake handle, I can adjust volume, frequency and phase easily. Sounds great!!!

So is it possible to keep the factory 6 disc and achieve the same results?
    Kitty

Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow.

So is it possible to keep the factory 6 disc and achieve the same results?
    I looked into all the possibilities before I even purchased the sub. I am a musician and it is important to me to have great clean sound in my car or where ever, for that matter. My friend had put a larger sub in his car and I felt it was too much for the rest of his system in a smaller car like a WRX. So I started looking at subs for smaller cars and decided on the Kenwood. They have updated that model this year, by the way. The new one should be even better. It won't fit under the seat but I have the WRX Sport Wagon and as I said before, I had it installed in the back.There's not a lot of room back there so that is another reason I didn't want a larger sub. I don't like the way any sub sounds when installed in the trunk either, much too muffled. The wiring harness that comes with the sub has multiple options for installation including the one that was used for my setup. So, in answer to your question, yes. The factory 6cd receiver is what I have and it sounds great with the Kenwood. I do recommend getting someone who knows what they are doing to do the installation. If you're not in a hurry, I could take a picture of my setup so you can see what it looks like and post it in a couple days. Also, here is a link to the current newer version of the Kenwood. You can find it cheaper if you know how to shop around the web. Hope this helps. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6ZfEWZ7...ch=Kenwood+sub

Pictures would be awesome! I am not in any rush. I will be using 1 diamond 12inch sub, I just need to get a box for. I was actually looking for a custom sub box for it, but I am not really having any luck with it. I will be patiently waiting for the pics.
    Kitty

Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow.

Pictures would be awesome! I am not in any rush. I will be using 1 diamond 12inch sub, I just need to get a box for. I was actually looking for a custom sub box for it, but I am not really having any luck with it. I will be patiently waiting for the pics.
    You will get plenty of bass with the 12, maybe more than you want. You might check the site, the link, that I sent you, they have sub enclosures, too. If you go that route, you will need a sub amp. All that can be wired up in the same way. Is there a car audio shop there where you are somewhere? Go by and talk to them and find out what your options are. Most of those places are knowlegable especially with cars that are a couple years old. It's really worth it in the long run to use a professional, especially if you are not sure what you are doing. It can end up costing you more if something gets screwed up. I will work on getting my pics done and back on the site. I wanted to get some taken of the car anyway. Later .................

LFM
    I just went through this so here is my story..

I have an 03 WRX with stock head unit and no factory sub.

I added...
    1 50 watt amp that is stable down to 1 ohm mono ($299) its all you need
    1 amp wiring harness($60)
    2 pheanix gold 10 inch subs($200)
    1 custom made box for the trunk carpeted to match($85)
    1 high/low converter ( the most important part if you want to use your stock deck)($50)
    I kept my stock deck so people wouldn't break in and steal my stuff. My set up looks stock.
    PS prices are in CDN

This set up is the cheapest and best sound ( with stock head unit) I prefer 2 10's to 1 12 inch.

Next you run the wiring harness to the battery to the amp, I put mine under the passenger seat. Then high low converter between the deck and amp, then amp to your subs. Instructions are clear with the products I got.

1.5 hours and I was done and it pounds!!!!
    You cant see it from in the car and the trunk lost minimal space as the subs tuck up nice and tight to the back seats...

oh I almost forgot ...... Make sure your subs face the back of the car (the rear license plate), you will get twice the sound out of em.

I can get you picks soon, but its poring rain right now.

LFM

Get a Bass Link sub for the trunk. I love mine!
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by BapasRide
    I looked into all the possibilities before I even purchased the sub. I am a musician and it is important to me to have great clean sound in my car or where ever, for that matter. My friend had put a larger sub in his car and I felt it was too much for the rest of his system in a smaller car like a WRX. So I started looking at subs for smaller cars and decided on the Kenwood. They have updated that model this year, by the way. The new one should be even better. It won't fit under the seat but I have the WRX Sport Wagon and as I said before, I had it installed in the back.There's not a lot of room back there so that is another reason I didn't want a larger sub. I don't like the way any sub sounds when installed in the trunk either, much too muffled. The wiring harness that comes with the sub has multiple options for installation including the one that was used for my setup. So, in answer to your question, yes. The factory 6cd receiver is what I have and it sounds great with the Kenwood. I do recommend getting someone who knows what they are doing to do the installation. If you're not in a hurry, I could take a picture of my setup so you can see what it looks like and post it in a couple days. Also, here is a link to the current newer version of the Kenwood. You can find it cheaper if you know how to shop around the web. Hope this helps. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6ZfEWZ7...ch=Kenwood+sub
    It won't fit under ther seat? I took all kinds of measurements and could have sworn that it would fit. The new one that is. Anybody else try with the new one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast