I've been trying to sort out a way to store 100+ GBs of mp3's in my WRX. And I think I've come up with something that will work and be relatively cost effective. First things first, I'm not looking to just hook up an iPod or other mp3 player as they become outdated as soon as you leave the store with them. I am looking for something that will be easily upgraded as digital music advances. I've got a Kenwood DDX-8017 headunit, so the easiest thing to do would be to get the Kenwood Music keg. But, the largest they come in is 10 GB. Other companies make similar products with a larger capacity (not to mention price), but they wouldn't work with the touchscreen on my HU. So enough of the problem, here's the solution...

The older model of the Music Keg (KHD-C710) uses a 2.5" hard drive, which is identical to a standard laptop hard drive. After disassembling the cartridge, any lager capacity 2.5" HDD should fit right in. With the proper formatting, the music keg wouldn't be able to tell that the drive has been swapped. The new drive would need to be in FAT32 format, and partitioned. The first partition would hold the system files, which you can copy from the old drive. And the second partition would be for the mp3s.

The total cost of this would only be around $400, provided that all the mp3's are legit (wink). It just seems too good to be true. I'm not sure if all this will work, but I can't see why it wouldn't. Has anyone done anything like this or have any other ideas on how to get a massive amount of mp3s accessible through a Kenwood HU?