Don't know what I am doing. Need new speakers.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Don't know what I am doing. Need new speakers. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So, about a month ago I purchased a 2004 WRX. It wasn't until I got it home, did I realize ...

Don't know what I am doing. Need new speakers.

So, about a month ago I purchased a 2004 WRX. It wasn't until I got it home, did I realize that the dealer failed to mention the sub under the passenger seat. Hey, :thumbsup: It also has the tweeters in the doors.

Now, I must say, this stereo is terrible. I previously owned a 1997 Nissan Altima, and that stereo was so much nicer. Which is sad really.

So the problem is, I do not know jack about car stereo. Home audio, I'm golden, I know what I am doing. Car stereo, I am

So what do you guys recomend I do, I do not want to go as far as putting a sub in the trunk, but I would like to upgrade the front and rear speakers. What should I look for, what size do I need, etc. I looked at Crutchfield, but honestly, I just want someone to tell me what to buy.

Will 6 1/2" Infinity Kappas work in the front, with 4" in the back? I've heard good things about those. Are those my only size options? Do I need an amp? How much work would a nice Sub in the Trunk be? I want to keep the stock head unit. I like the look and don't want to draw attention to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i believe crutchfield has the OEM speaker sizes in a big list. Find out what the WRX oem size is and go from there. Infinity Kappa's are very very nice, but are a little expensive. before you buy from crutch, always check out ebay. I got 4 speakers for my old 240sx for $100 and thats how much they cost normally for each pair. After that, you should be in good shape. Get some good, heavy gauge wiring as well. thats as far as i would take it anyway, I'm not sure how much boom-boom you like.
    Drew

I was always a fan of the Infinity Kappa, expensive but good. Then......aaaahh I heard Boston Acoustics component speaker, my god they make a good sounding speaker, expensive as well. If you want the good stuff, I would get BA, I have heard good things from others as well, and the bottom line is the sound super good.

try ikesound.com great site and usually A LOT cheaper then Crutchfield.

wow, I have always gone to crutchfield for speaker sizes on all the cars I've owned, and because of this thread I went to crutchfield for the sizes on my '02, and to my surprise, crutchfield tells me my car only has rear door speakers

hmmmmm

anyone know the stock speaker sizes before I have to go out and measure my own

chris

also, don't forget to look up info on the spacer's you'll need for mounting depth
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

Let me know if you want to sell the OEM subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by trippy
    Let me know if you want to sell the OEM subwoofer.
    I probably would sell the sub once I install the new speakers.

are you changing the stock head unit or not? if you arent then it really doenst make a difference what goes in. the stock unit sucks. the problem with the WRX is how small the doors are. make sure you check mounting depths on anything you buy. MOST speakers will not fit into the doors!! i suggest alpine type S in the back because it has an adjustable tweeter. it lets the backseat passengers still hear the highs of the songs. its awesome. also get some new components for hte front. the stock ones suck. the magent and cone are the worst things on the market. go to your local best buy and ask about what can be mounted in the car then do some research to get the best deal.
    xTristanx
    New England F4
    Blobeye Syndicate #27
    Mods

oh and the stock speaker sizes are 6.5 components in front and 5.25 in the back doors
    xTristanx
    New England F4
    Blobeye Syndicate #27
    Mods

holy thread bump batman.

actually thanks for the advise. i think i will be changing my hu now that i have XM so I can direct wire it instead of using the tape.

Sell the factory sub if you plan to upgrade the speakers.

I bought the kapas and they sound great I also got a JVC mp3/Cd head unit 230 watt and an Infinity Bass link 2 self powered 250 watt sub and the sound is awsome. Clear with plenty of bass. I want the sound in the car and I am not looking to compete or to please the people I pass by.

The infinity sub mounts in the trunk perfect like it was made for it. It also comes with a remote bass gain that is the size of a lighter and could be fitted naywhere.

luxury is 1.00 BAR+ of boost and the inability for your passenger to touch the dashboard

door speakers

memphis makes a really good, thin door speaker with sizes that will fit a wrx. i got mine for 280 with warranty. came with all four doors and the two extra front tweeters

Quote Originally Posted by CertainPhate
    oh and the stock speaker sizes are 6.5 components in front and 5.25 in the back doors
    Wrong. The stock speaker sizes are 5" in the front, 4" in the rear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.