What is this black plug for? Stock in-dash 6 disc

This is a discussion on What is this black plug for? Stock in-dash 6 disc within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; This particular unit is from an 05 Saab 9-2x Aero, but it's the same across the Subaru line, right? Does ...

What is this black plug for? Stock in-dash 6 disc

This particular unit is from an 05 Saab 9-2x Aero, but it's the same across the Subaru line, right?

Does anybody know what this is for? It looks like RJ45 at first glance, but it's certainly not! Could this possibly be a :gasp: aux input? That would be pretty sweet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe its for the amp and subwoofer setup from the factory. Dunno for certain but that would be my guess.

no...its not. the factory sub is connected to the speakers, and the signal then passes through the sub x-over and on to the speakers. an AUX input sure would be nice...but I've no idea. could be auto antenna signal for all I know.

I linked this thread to scoobymods...maybe someone will be of help.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

well, accodring to a reply scoobymods, its an input for an external cd-changer...holy crap all this time there was an AUX input sitting right under our noses????

can you take a shot of the front of the HU? there's posts on scoobymods referring to a 13 pin DIN connector, but not a 4-pin RJ-type. there's a place that sells adaptors to use the 13-pin connector as a aux input. only problem is that it's always "on"...so it will play over radio or CD or whatever else you got. I think you have to make a "silent" CD to use it right...
    Last edited by blarg; 06-07-2005 at 03:59 PM.
    go f*** yourself

Here's the front of the unit. It's the 6-disc in-dash changer that is standard in the 9-2x Aero and optional in the Linear. I think it's the same system that is standard in the WRX and optional in the Impreza, but I'm not exactly sure. Can you link the scooby mods thread?

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I love Saabarus! That plug is in most newer cars. I'm not sure what it's for, but if it's a four pin, it could be a sub out, (pos, neg, and then +,- speaker outs), or input in which case the speaker out would be a speaker in. The only problem is that then you'd have a mono signal, which is highly unlikely. Now if the unit has a voltage sensor, and can detect signal input, you could use all four pins and have stereo....but then how do you switch the unit on, as now all the pins are used up???

I vote for sub out. Makes the most sense, but feel free to let me know more as this develops.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    I love Saabarus! That plug is in most newer cars. I'm not sure what it's for, but if it's a four pin, it could be a sub out, (pos, neg, and then +,- speaker outs), or input in which case the speaker out would be a speaker in. The only problem is that then you'd have a mono signal, which is highly unlikely. Now if the unit has a voltage sensor, and can detect signal input, you could use all four pins and have stereo....but then how do you switch the unit on, as now all the pins are used up???

I vote for sub out. Makes the most sense, but feel free to let me know more as this develops.
    there's talk of a 13-pin DIN connector on the Forester HU that has need used for AUX input on scoobymods...but no mention of a 4-pin. Your HU is different than mine (I have an 02 WRX so i"m not sure what mine has on the back. I'll probably replace mine with a HU that has an SD card reader eventually.

just go to scoobymods and search "radio input"
    go f*** yourself

I'm not sure what it's for, but if it's a four pin, it could be a sub out, (pos, neg, and then +,- speaker outs)....I vote for sub out. Makes the most sense, but feel free to let me know more as this develops.
    I really don't think it's a sub out. The sub comes with an adapter to splice it in to the large white pin connector in back, and you have to run a ground. I've looked over the PDF of the instructions to install the sub, and there is no mention of anything other than the harness, ground and FM antenna input. In their technical illustrations on the instructions, the little black plug isn't represented.

Also, I believe this is actually an 8 pin connection. If you look close at the photo, it looks like there is another row of pins a little above the bottom row.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1138

Here's the front of the unit. It's the 6-disc in-dash changer that is standard in the 9-2x Aero and optional in the Linear. I think it's the same system that is standard in the WRX and optional in the Impreza, but I'm not exactly sure. Can you link the scooby mods thread?
    Yes, thats the same radio/cd as my 05 WRX wagon.
    Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

guess they changed them then.
    go f*** yourself

If this radio is indeed like what's in other recent-vintage Subarus, then yes, the small, square connector is for a factory subwoofer speaker. The radio has a built-in amplifier, so no external amp is needed. See this thread: Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, and more (read down to post #5)

On some models this connector includes pins for "satellite switches" (remote-control buttons on the steering wheel), and is also somehow wired into the heat/AC control (pin is labeled "body integrated unit").

The "old-style" subwoofer that 'blarg' mentioned is the factory under-seat amp/sub unit available for many different models. It comes with a T-harness that connects between the radio and the car's 14-pin speaker/power plug that normally plugs straight into the radio. See post #4 in the thread link above. Oh, and BTW, there is no crossover involved; the 14-wires go straight through from the car to the radio and the sub taps off of the rear speaker outputs from the radio. If you were to unplug the connector from the subwoofer, you'd be back to how it was before adding the sub.
    Last edited by SVXdc; 07-07-2005 at 07:04 AM.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Great finds. I'm glad to see that at least a few members know how to use the search button.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I've been looking around for a cd-changer adaptor from another auto manufacturer (other GM applications for the most part), but I haven't found ANY that use the conector you find on the 02 WRX. I guess eventually I'll end up getting a different HU and be done with it.
    go f*** yourself

Great finds. I'm glad to see that at least a few members know how to use the search button.
    Uh, would that be the search button a different forum? Jeez, frickin kill me for asking a good question, and posting pictures to boot. Smarmy ass.

Hey SVXdc, thank you very much for the excellent information. Blarg, re-read SVX's post, there is no connector we can get, so an aftermarket HU is our only option for good MP3 input. Kinda disappointing,

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1138
    Uh, would that be the search button a different forum? Jeez, frickin kill me for asking a good question, and posting pictures to boot. Smarmy ass.

Hey SVXdc, thank you very much for the excellent information. Blarg, re-read SVX's post, there is no connector we can get, so an aftermarket HU is our only option for good MP3 input. Kinda disappointing,
    yeah i've been searching the forums over the last few days...looks like there's just no way to do it, and Panasonic is not very copperative. I ended up doing a modified cassette adaptor mod. I ran the wire between the vent piece and the dashboard. that way it comes out behind my PDA mount. At least I can't see the wire now.
    go f*** yourself